Umarex Leaning towards a Zelos as a first PCP

I suggest checking out the synthetic Marauder .25 rifle. The rifle has been around forever and no surprises. Very accurate with a 3k fill. Two magazines on a fill is a lot of pests.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Marauder

Reactions: markhooper
Longer barrel? I've got 24" barrels on my M60b's.
I think the zelos has a 26" barrel. At least that's what I've read here.

If I did sell my revere, I would probably buy a Airmaks Krait L standard. Nice little 22 compact.

Sure would be cool to make a 22 m60b sling slugs in the 1000 fps range though.

I am in North East Kansas and I have a significant pest problem with squirrels, skunks, rats, raccoons. Sort of feels like I am losing a game of Jumanji.

My Gamo spring gun has become somewhat worn out, and bench testing of favorite projectiles has revealed a problem I don't want to chase. I prefer accuracy over energy, but accuracy without energy is also useless. I'm thinking .25 caliber is likely the sweet spot for me.

I know very little about PCP rifles. I suspect that my OCDness would prefer a regulated rifle. I want something that I can hunt with. As mentioned, accuracy is critical... this must hold minute-of-squirrel at 50 yards. I'm also a little bit of a trigger princess. I'm a competitive shooter in a few disciplines and crunchy triggers gives me the heaves.

So.. with that in mind, I'm also trying to keep this rig for the rifle and scope under $1k. The Umarex Zelos has caught my eye, but I'm noting that some members indicate that they have had some quality issues.

Thoughts?

Also... is there an on-shore distributor that is better to work with? I'd prefer to purchase from a small shop that knows the sport well and provides good service should I get a leaky / loose / whatever issue. Thanks in advance.

Frank
Hey Frank, go used on PCP, check out AoA used section and since everyone's opinion is always right, I am going to catch flack for mine.
Go .22 not .25.
Most of the air rifle field R&D, if not the entire development, is coming from UK and South Africa. In UK, they can't have more than 12 ft lbs. And in SA they can't go above .22. So you'll find that .25 isn't a sweet spot, it is more of a dead zone, where you are going to get a lot of conflicting info and and opinions. You'll get the most help and support and options in .22.
I have an FX whisper synthetic in .22 I couldn't sell it for $500. But for your specifications, Min of Squirrel at 50?
Brother, it's minute of squirrel-head at 50. Now it is well known that the FX whisper is a pretty good one to buy used. There are a great many others that are well known that you should not. For example, I have a Hammerli Pneuma that is fantastic, but if I ever tried to sell it, some old timers would have question marks for me as these have a terrible reputation. Mine is just lucky. So you'll have to learn a little more.
I don't know if hand pumps have gotten better but I hated them 10 years ago. I have been satisfied with an omega small tank and a trail.
That's where you spend the money, on what will keep you shooting and enjoying it. That's an omega trail and a small pony tank. Go as cheap as you can on a .22 with a good rep for a used gun and get it from AOAs used page. - This is the way - (to get started). For your scope you can literally get anything that focuses clearly down to 10y. A used Hawke 2-12 x 45 SFP is perfect because you'll be at 2 or 12 or aiming directly at the middle.

Now you're in the game and you only spent twice what you had hoped to spend and built it up over time. And NOBODY will disagree with me that spending only double what you'd hoped to spend and getting everything you need to play PCP with no waste is getting off cheap.
DO understand, though, that PCP will be where all your discretionary income goes to quite often over the next several decades. To get started, I am trying to make sure nothing expensive gets bought that you just end up throwing in a junk drawer then by the time you are ready for it, the trend and technology has completely changed. Buy what you need, don't try to re-invent the wheel, and then buy more of what you need.

Hey Frank, go used on PCP, check out AoA used section and since everyone's opinion is always right, I am going to catch flack for mine.
Go .22 not .25.
Most of the air rifle field R&D, if not the entire development, is coming from UK and South Africa. In UK, they can't have more than 12 ft lbs. And in SA they can't go above .22. So you'll find that .25 isn't a sweet spot, it is more of a dead zone, where you are going to get a lot of conflicting info and and opinions. You'll get the most help and support and options in .22.
I have an FX whisper synthetic in .22 I couldn't sell it for $500. But for your specifications, Min of Squirrel at 50?
Brother, it's minute of squirrel-head at 50. Now it is well known that the FX whisper is a pretty good one to buy used. There are a great many others that are well known that you should not. For example, I have a Hammerli Pneuma that is fantastic, but if I ever tried to sell it, some old timers would have question marks for me as these have a terrible reputation. Mine is just lucky. So you'll have to learn a little more.
I don't know if hand pumps have gotten better but I hated them 10 years ago. I have been satisfied with an omega small tank and a trail.
That's where you spend the money, on what will keep you shooting and enjoying it. That's an omega trail and a small pony tank. Go as cheap as you can on a .22 with a good rep for a used gun and get it from AOAs used page. - This is the way - (to get started). For your scope you can literally get anything that focuses clearly down to 10y. A used Hawke 2-12 x 45 SFP is perfect because you'll be at 2 or 12 or aiming directly at the middle.

Now you're in the game and you only spent twice what you had hoped to spend and built it up over time. And NOBODY will disagree with me that spending only double what you'd hoped to spend and getting everything you need to play PCP with no waste is getting off cheap.
DO understand, though, that PCP will be where all your discretionary income goes to quite often over the next several decades. To get started, I am trying to make sure nothing expensive gets bought that you just end up throwing in a junk drawer then by the time you are ready for it, the trend and technology has completely changed. Buy what you need, don't try to re-invent the wheel, and then buy more of what you need.
What he said MINUS get a small tank. I have a small and Large tank, the small tank only refills my Redwolf or Ghost a couple times. Go big tank or stay home. :confused:

Smitty

I think the zelos has a 26" barrel. At least that's what I've read here.

If I did sell my revere, I would probably buy a Airmaks Krait L standard. Nice little 22 compact.

Sure would be cool to make a 22 m60b sling slugs in the 1000 fps range though.

I'll check my book but I think I have 1004 on NSA 27.5gr slugs.

• Love
Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
so a couple of thoughts 💭 one mentioned where do you get repair? honestly I don't know..I figure if I can't fix it I'm out of luck.. I bought a American tactical liberty nova 22 I think 8 years ago from aoa.. good place like others said to buy from,I got it new.. and to this year it's started leaking down to regulator pressure, so I called aoa and they don't service it and don't have part's.. that's very disappointing but it's life, fortunately I found a o ring kit from Captain o ring.. I haven't resealed yet since it takes a couple weeks to go down..
on to compressor..I bought at the same time the Omega trail charger.. it's filled a scba bottle but I only run 20 minutes at a time, I don't want to even feel warmth from it..
fills my guns pretty quick.. I'd recommend it any day..
as for parts and repairs if you want to always get parts and lifetime warranty, I'm thinking about airforce Condor 22.. and well there's a lot of mods available for it and it is extremely simple..
just thoughts,if it helps you great if not discard..
Mark

The Zelos can be purchased for $419 plus shipping.
The M60B is almost identical, with a carbon bottle, and sells for about $700 plus shipping.
I believe both are not only a great introduction to PCP, but also a inexpensive alternative to other, high end rifles.
After shooting several bulky bottled guns for several years, I opted for the slender tube that the Zelos offers.
I get 22 to 25 shots from the Zelos tube, which is perfect for my needs.
The bottled M60B should get you twice that amount or even more!
They are both powerful and very accurate!
Right out of the box, I am extremely happy with my Zelos,, and the $419 price tag was an absolute steal!

so a couple of thoughts 💭 one mentioned where do you get repair? honestly I don't know..I figure if I can't fix it I'm out of luck.. I bought a American tactical liberty nova 22 I think 8 years ago from aoa.. good place like others said to buy from,I got it new.. and to this year it's started leaking down to regulator pressure, so I called aoa and they don't service it and don't have part's.. that's very disappointing but it's life, fortunately I found a o ring kit from Captain o ring.. I haven't resealed yet since it takes a couple weeks to go down..
on to compressor..I bought at the same time the Omega trail charger.. it's filled a scba bottle but I only run 20 minutes at a time, I don't want to even feel warmth from it..
fills my guns pretty quick.. I'd recommend it any day..
as for parts and repairs if you want to always get parts and lifetime warranty, I'm thinking about airforce Condor 22.. and well there's a lot of mods available for it and it is extremely simple..
just thoughts,if it helps you great if not discard..
Mark

3 year parts and labor warranty.
Detailed information can be found on page 11, of the owners manual.

1. Call Umarex (479-646-4210),
2. Get a return authorization number and shipping amount (if it applies).
3. Send rifle, a check to cover pre-determined shipping (if it applies), and a copy of original receipt to their address in Arkansas 72916.