Umarex Leaning towards a Zelos as a first PCP

I am in North East Kansas and I have a significant pest problem with squirrels, skunks, rats, raccoons. Sort of feels like I am losing a game of Jumanji.

My Gamo spring gun has become somewhat worn out, and bench testing of favorite projectiles has revealed a problem I don't want to chase. I prefer accuracy over energy, but accuracy without energy is also useless. I'm thinking .25 caliber is likely the sweet spot for me.

I know very little about PCP rifles. I suspect that my OCDness would prefer a regulated rifle. I want something that I can hunt with. As mentioned, accuracy is critical... this must hold minute-of-squirrel at 50 yards. I'm also a little bit of a trigger princess. I'm a competitive shooter in a few disciplines and crunchy triggers gives me the heaves.

So.. with that in mind, I'm also trying to keep this rig for the rifle and scope under $1k. The Umarex Zelos has caught my eye, but I'm noting that some members indicate that they have had some quality issues.

Thoughts?

Also... is there an on-shore distributor that is better to work with? I'd prefer to purchase from a small shop that knows the sport well and provides good service should I get a leaky / loose / whatever issue. Thanks in advance.

Frank

Another thing you need to consider is a way to charge the Gun. I doubt that you would want to Use a hand pump? So then you need to throw a Compressor into the cost or maybe a SCBA Tank that you can get filled somewhere? At $599 or so for the rifle, and $200 or more for an inexpensive Compressor, it does not leave much for a scope? Just things to think about. Consider Amazon for the compressor, But I would get the extra Warranty. Good Luck!

Reactions: AlwaysLastPlace
you might consider the snow peak M60b from Wes at air gun archery fun in Canada.. I have a notos and while it's a decent gun I am disturbed by the lack of support..as in parts. just simple o rings are not standard sae or metric sizes..I had the barrel off my notos not too long after I got it and it has two o rings.. one was only partially there and was crumbles when it came out, just like it was way too old..new gun.. fortunately firewalker ordered a batch in and I was able to get some..
that said Wes has parts and the M60b is a zelos with a bottle for less money or you can get the m60 in tube form just like the zelos and well it's from the same factory..
just something to consider.
I got some pp700 parts from him 🤣 for my notos.. the pp750 is a left hand notos🤣 the pp700 is a single shot but I was after the shorter air tube.
I've done business with Wes and you can't ask for a nicer person to do business with.. he does exactly what he says and goes out of his way to help you.
Mark

I second the M60B, I have two of them, .22 & .25. They have decent triggers but it ain't no Geissele.

Wes is FANTASTIC, ask him to go through the gun before he ships it. It may cost you a few bucks for his time but it's worth every penny.

I also own several Notos, I've smithed hundreds of them and have a few parts on hand. I do not consider them bench guns, they are light weight (#4 stock) and nimble.

They will drop a tree-rat at 50y if you do your job well. They are handpump friendly but "ain't nobody got time for that!", so get a compressor.

I have space so I run a Yong Heng on a rolling cart with a large cooler full of water/antifreeze for cooling. Still kicking years later.

I third the M60B. I have a 30 cal and it does everything I ask it too. Haven't adjusted the trigger yet, but it's decent already. Enough so that I can stack pellets at 40 yards no problem. This fall it will get out to 75 at my dad's for the yearly Pre Christmas squirrel cleansing.

Going on 3 years on my Yong heng, fill multiple bottle guns and tanks
Some guns during testing have been refilled 100s of times. Only ever had a burst disk pop. Keep them cool and fill bottles in intervals, it'll last a long time.

OK... taking a hard look at the M60B. Yeah, I don't need the hand pump exercise, but it would be nice to have as a means to make pressure should I be in a bind without electricity somewhere. Thank you for the perspectives. I will likely check with Wes and see if I can make introductions.

IDK, I like this a lot for a few dollars more. lots of parts and assistance if you need it. plenty of good dealers and easily adjustable for deferent shooting scenarios Im shooting it with a vortec red dot at the moment and its plenty accurate out to 50 yards (minute of squirrel)

10.jpg

Reactions: AlwaysLastPlace
You can always go with the Compressors that you can hook to your Car battery as well as 110 volt.

They just didn't last for me, trashed 2 of them in as many months, gun fills only and they still failed.

Yong Heng is the only affordable compressor for me. I'm running it right now, testing a customer's trigger.

They just didn't last for me, trashed 2 of them in as many months, gun fills only and they still failed.

Yong Heng is the only affordable compressor for me. I'm running it right now, testing a customer's trigger.
Oh, I believe you. I remember what happened to me Last time! lol
I am sure I will be using my Warranty on it soon!

I suggest checking out the synthetic Marauder .25 rifle. The rifle has been around forever and no surprises. Very accurate with a 3k fill. Two magazines on a fill is a lot of pests.