Left or Right handed? Or both?

Hi all.

Sorry for this question, but its the first time for actually shooting. So how do I find my correct hand?

I've recently watched as many vids as I can on shooting, but not actually seen any dedicated to this.

So....................... Is it because you are left or right eye dominant? If so, how do I find out what method to do this? So I can get my 8 and 10 year old's shooting correctly from the start also.

Is it also to do simply whether you are left or right handed?

Is it a factor or purely whatever hand you are comfortable with shooting?

Do I train with both? Get my skill up with either hand? Or will this just make me a mediocre shot at best if I don't concentrate on the hand I should shoot best with?

I appreciate your help.

Eye dominance is important, but not the only factor. My advice for you is to try and shoot both hand holds. Also keep your both eyes open as long as comfortable. If you loose aim sight just wink with your non aiming eye. Also try to keep your eye level as horizontal as possible. This is not crucial later, but the but the body is more stable and balanced when sight is leveled.

The most important part in the aiming process is the hand that holds the frame. Many slingshot shooters who hold a bow in left hand switch with slingshots and hold them in right. It's really worth to test yourself and see how it feels. I'm right handed, slightly left eye dominant. I shoot bow and arrow left hand hold right eye aim. Shoot slingshots right hand hold most of the time for a while and aim with left eye.

It might be strange to switch hands after some time, but you may surprise yourself. The best if you use the same slingshot, ammo and change only hands. Keep at least 60-100 shots each hands if you mix sessions.

Original idea comes from Jack Koehler's book. Worked for me. It's also fun to switch hands time to time. Especially useful to inspect shooting errors and bad form.

Reactions: Vana2
MOST people will gravitate to the hold that is most natural & comfortable for them. I'm right handed in EVERYTHING I do except batting & golfing! Weird, huh? My brother, exactly opposite! (Weird genetics or something). Once holding a rifle, I think you'll know what's best or most natural for you. Didn't you play soldier when young? Where did you hold your gun?

Eye dominance is the first priority in my opinion. You can learn holding differently, I’ve never known someone to change eye dominance.

When I went to a firearms instructor course day 1 just after safety briefing was eye dominance.

Keep both eyes open. Put a thumb up and cover something near by with your thumb. Close one eye. Your dominant eye will cover what you put it over, they other eye will not. That’s the quick and dirty method.