• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Lessons Learned as an Observer from the Rocky Mountain Airgun Challenge​

I am going to start a bit of a "blog" series on what I learned from going to the Utah Airguns​ Rocky Mountain Airgun Challenge (RMAC) as an OBSERVER first and not competing during my first trip to Utah.

I watched competitors like a private investigator gleaning every nuanced technique I could observe. I have a lot I am going to report on during this series without using any shooters' names specifically to protect their "secret sauce", but I watched for all kinds of things like breathing, rifle hold, thumb and trigger finger placement, zoom settings on optics, bipod placement, even how they sat during the speed competition.

A lot of you know that I am an open book (mostly) and love sharing my airgunning journey of discovery so if you ever have any questions about what works for me - just ask. 

So I hope these posts help if you are considering going to RMAC or EBR this year or just want to join me on this journey to becoming a better airgunner. I also would like to hear about what others are doing to prepare for events like this or your own personal training practices - so please feel free to post your comments below.

1560198784_6006034085cfebe80d15866.56989730_IMG_3586.JPG
First off, if you think I just went to RMAC this year just to rub elbows with well known airgunners - you would be wrong. I will tell you in full disclosure, it was a total RECON mission. And yes to get some photo ops with a ton of "online friends" who I can say now are "real" since we have now shaken hands. 

Or in the case of Thadeous Moore​, now that I have seen the glorious Kilt in person - we are now "real" friends! (by the way - thanks Thad for the car camping hook up at the RMAC range). 

So here is my report from the RMAC Big Bore / Slug Challenge Range. Ready? HOLY. FRICKEN. CRAP!

I have been staring down dozens of some pretty crazy long range big bore airgun shots over hundreds of yards for the last few years and I got weak in the knees when I saw the course of fire at RMAC! What was the most intimidating was the crazy elevated target locations 100s of yards away. 

When I first saw the target locations, it looked equivalent to shooting at targets set atop a 10 story building. Here is a video clip from just above the target location looking down and some photos I took looking up at that same target location through the spotting scope. Watch here: https://www.facebook.com/RockyMountainAirgunChallenge/videos/460244388066356/

1560198630_8011123625cfebde6ec7e31.73548330_IMG_3609.JPG
1560198630_1502914125cfebde60fbdf2.79254024_IMG_3610.JPG

So I knew that when I got back to Michigan, I had my work cut out for me and a ton of NEW kinds of practice was needed. 

So slug challenge competition prep report from RMAC.... 
Take away #1 - I have a TON of work to do! If you watch my stuff on YouTube you know that I love setting up Airgun Depot​ Long Ranger Golf Ball shots and DOPE-ing the crap out of every single distance till I can hit it. I literally crave the euphoric emotional experience of the violent white powder explosion. I get tingles just typing about it... But I digress.

What I saw at RMAC was the training effort needed to focus on multiple engagements of targets at varying distances and most importantly - VARYING DEGREES OF TARGET ELEVATIONS. The single golf ball practice has been great, but it is time to add in some real target gear to mimic RMAC conditions.

1560198858_6102947595cfebecae27254.79290253_mild.png
There is a backstory to this that started before RMAC and it includes another Up North / Michigan based company called Shootingtargets7​ (www.ShootingTargets7.com). I have been talking with Mark Leenheer the CEO and owner of the company about the difference between AR400 and AR500 steel and if AR500 is even needed with airguns - even big bores. I was convinced I needed AR500 steel, but after shutting up and listening to Mark - he took me to school. Cold Hard Steel School that is.

I learned a great lesson during my AirgunDepot.com Long Ranger attempts as I was using a mild steel plate (it was a repurposed patio umbrella base). We hit that thing so many times with the .357 AirForce Airguns​ Texan that it looked like a dimpled golf ball and we eventually even started fully penetrating it. That is when I started thinking AR500 steel was needed.

But for RMAC style long range shooting targets, I wanted targets that was in the 18 to 24 inch range for shots at over 100 yards. The first thing I noticed shopping around was they ain't cheap and HEAVY as crap! So after talking with an expert in this area, Mark schooled me that 3/16 thick AR400 Steel is the way to go for most of airgunning needs!

1560198907_14997191735cfebefb047734.19483601_IMG_3634.JPG
While the difference between mild steel and AR400 is pretty significant, the difference between AR400 and AR500 is less but the cost and weight difference is HUGE. Portability was at the top of my list since I have to haul this gear out to my local shooting area on Michigan State land where the laws actually require you shoot at a commercially produced "target". After a few long conversations with the local DNR officials, the AirGunDepot.com Long Ranger golf balls could be considered "targets" but they preferred I started to use a steel backstop.

Another bonus of AR400 3/16 inch thick steel for airgunners is that it reacts and rings so much better and louder with the velocity and energy we are pushing with airguns. Really thick 1/2 inch AR500 targets spinner targets I often use have more of a thud and swing just a bit, but I want a substantial LOUD METALLIC RING and violent movement when I hit these. ShootingTargets7.com tagline is LET FREEDOM RING - so the thinner AR400 steel will be perfect!

The REALLY powerful big bores like the Texan .45 are on the border of needing 1/4 inch thick AR500 steel, but all other calibers and manufacturers can totally use the 3/16 inch thick AR400 gongs and will last a lifetime.So I had ordered this kit before RMAC and it was a perfect choice based on my recon trip findings. Some of the best prices I could find online too! I was even more excited because when I pulled into the driveway this morning after my insanely long journey to Utah, I saw these boxes on my patio which turned out to be my steel target kit from ShootingTargets7.com. 

In the kit I received 1 x 24 inch steel plate that is 1/4 inch thick AR500 steel to withstand impacts from the Texan .45 or any future .50 caliber big bore airguns (cough - cough). I also got 2 x 24 inch AR400 3/16 inch thick steel plates with some awesome stand legs to be used with 2x4 wood planks. I also ordered some smaller AR400 steel precision shooting gongs and plan on seeing if my dexterity is up for the speed challenge. These targets are super easy to set up and fully portable in my trunk. So these will be perfect!

1560198902_4916007445cfebef6250619.72853846_IMG_3640.jpg
1560198904_10257542585cfebef8637f84.22288397_IMG_3638.JPG
1560198905_14133263515cfebef9a11549.11067869_IMG_3636.JPG

Stay tuned to watch me on this journey and the small and big AHA! moments I experience along the way. If you want to get some steel to use on your journey - make sure to check out ShootingTargets7.com and go under their Gongs section - go into the 3/16 inch thick category to find some perfect AR400 steel for airgunners! Here is the link: https://shootingtargets7.com/steel-targets/gongs/316-gongs.html