Lightweight, compact optic with ~4x magnification, very short/no eye relief, can focus at 10-meters or under; does this exist?

I'm using a lightweight Diana Bandit/Chaser hybrid PCP airpistol for 10-meter target shooting. I'm looking for a scope which gives me enough magnification to see where I'm hitting the target at 10m. For this I think I need at least 2x, but I would prefer 4x or 5x. As the thing has basically no recoil, I'm wondering if I can find an optic which allows me to press my eye against it and thus create more points of contact. The various 3x, 4x, and 5x prismatic sights I have seen look very interesting to me, but they generally have their parallax correction fixed at 100m. I'm assuming trying to use one at 10m would not be ideal. Am I wrong about this? What optics can you think of that succeed in or come close to fulfilling my list of wants? Thanks for your help.

Optisan CONNECT is about as close to that as likely to find ... tho IIRC a variable x
I'm not seeing anything by this name. Is it in the CP line?
Monstrum Stealth 4x30 Fixed has adjustable AO. I have one on a pistol it's pretty decent although it has a longish eye relief and it think a 2 moa dot so it may not work for that close.
This sounds great. What is the nearest distance the parallax can be set to? 2 moa wouldn't be a total deal breaker at 10 meters. Monstrum stuff doesn't seem to be sold in Europe as far as I am aware. Are there any very similar models under different brand names?
I have a knockoff acog that fits the bill. Mounting is a bit weird since you really need a rail pretty far back
Oh yeah? Can you point me in the direction of one of these? Is the mounting weird because of the cantilevered mount?

The acogs can be found on ebay or Ali express if you look at the cheapest options for acog 4x scopes. It's hard to recommend purchasing these because it is like a grab bag. You don't know for sure if you're going to get a good scope or not till you get it. I happened to get a good one. The mount is a pretty normal picatinny mount. But most rails don't come back far enough to get the scope close enough to your eye so most guns would require some type of cantilever riser addition. I've used mine on a few guns when I feel like shaving some weight off. Mine works very well and is perfectly accurate. But if I had to choose a new one, I probably would pick up one of the immersive units. I've had one of the viper connect scopes (from mtc I want to say?) Not a good scope. Or at least mine was not.

Scale reads 7.008 lbs on this fx crown
PSX_20200219_213039.1628550835.jpg

Immersive optics 5x24 or 5x30 will do the trick. They focus down to 6 yards. Check out airgunarcheryfun in canada for ordering.
Yeah, these look perfect. Little more than I wanted to spend, as it were.
The acogs can be found on ebay or Ali express if you look at the cheapest options for acog 4x scopes. It's hard to recommend purchasing these because it is like a grab bag. You don't know for sure if you're going to get a good scope or not till you get it. I happened to get a good one. The mount is a pretty normal picatinny mount. But most rails don't come back far enough to get the scope close enough to your eye so most guns would require some type of cantilever riser addition. I've used mine on a few guns when I feel like shaving some weight off. Mine works very well and is perfectly accurate. But if I had to choose a new one, I probably would pick up one of the immersive units. I've had one of the viper connect scopes (from mtc I want to say?) Not a good scope. Or at least mine was not.

Scale reads 7.008 lbs on this fx crown
View attachment 407183
How does it work with focus on the acogs and acog replicas? Will I be able to get a sharp picture at 10m? If so I guess this is the move until I can upgrade to an Immersive Optics. What's the eye relief on yours?

If you had some lense wrenches, you could probably optimize the front objective for that range. Eye relief is about 2 inches, so a rubber eyepiece could be fitted to get direct contact.

I still think it'd be far better to find something else with closer adjustable focus. And less eye relief. The eye relief on this is still very short. Just not as short as some other optics. Let me check on something. I think I might know of something that might work better. And still be relatively cheap.

This one has infinite eye relief so I believe you can also use it at zero as well. Only thing I cannot find is how close it will focus. But most 2x optics will focus very close up.

Tru glow 2x42

I'm not seeing anything by this name. Is it in the CP line?

This sounds great. What is the nearest distance the parallax can be set to? 2 moa wouldn't be a total deal breaker at 10 meters. Monstrum stuff doesn't seem to be sold in Europe as far as I am aware. Are there any very similar models under different brand names?

Oh yeah? Can you point me in the direction of one of these? Is the mounting weird because of the cantilevered mount?
10yard parallax

20220102_000118_edited.jpg

I had one with the smaller objective on my pp800. Does work well for an additional point of stabilization. But once you get much past 8x, the image gets REAL washed out. Light transmission was pretty bad. And I ALWAYS caught glare off of the barrel due to such a wide FOV. Even with no moderator. Even with pistol length barrels. I'm sure you could put something on the barrel to cut down on light reflection.... Also had another issue, pretty minor and takes a lot of words to describe, so I won't go into it. I got rid of it. I think the larger objective could fix some of those issues.... at least partially.

Yea, shot with one on my FT Pistol for a couple years.

View attachment 407355
This looks like nearly the ideal hold for me. What would be great is if I could make contact between my right hand and my face.

I love the idea of a prismatic scope as a way to bring the weight of the optic closer to the body and shrink it's footprint. I'm not seeing anything in the sub $/€300 range which is prismatic, has an adjustable objective to allow 10m focus, and is being sold in or shipped to Europe. I see quite a few prismatic spotting scopes with an S-shaped form-factor, impressive specs, and quite low prices. If one of these had a good way to be mounted and an etched reticle, I think it'd be a good fit. The etched reticle seems to be absent from most.

View attachment 407343
I had one with the smaller objective on my pp800. Does work well for an additional point of stabilization. But once you get much past 8x, the image gets REAL washed out. Light transmission was pretty bad. And I ALWAYS caught glare off of the barrel due to such a wide FOV. Even with no moderator. Even with pistol length barrels. I'm sure you could put something on the barrel to cut down on light reflection.... Also had another issue, pretty minor and takes a lot of words to describe, so I won't go into it. I got rid of it. I think the larger objective could fix some of those issues.... at least partially.
This looks very cool. I suppose with a barrel band the optic could be moved forward so that the eyepiece is roughly flush with the end of the bolt, for use without the stock, or possibly with the stock resting on top of the shoulder. At some point I may want to make a custom short stock with an upside down U-shape which rests snugly on my shoulder and holds everything at the ideal height for using the optic.

How about the Spitfire 5x prism scopes? I see clones of them from Chinese sellers. Their parallax is set at 100 yards. How much would I have to move the objective forward to bring this number down to 10m? Would I be trashing the thing if accidentally broke the air seal? Would I have bad results if I tried to use the thing at 10m unaltered?

I can't find the Truglo 2x42 over here. I see a Truglo 3x44 with a built-in red dot. Ocular and objective don't seem to be adjustable.

In the roughly hundred bucks price range, would I be better served by a traditional 4x32ao scope and like a rigid tube with eyepiece, as opposed to something prismatic?

Last edited:
How about the Spitfire 5x prism scopes? I see clones of them from Chinese sellers. Their parallax is set at 100 yards. How much would I have to move the objective forward to bring this number down to 10m? Would I be trashing the thing if accidentally broke the air seal? Would I have bad results if I tried to use the thing at 10m unaltered?

I can't find the Truglo 2x42 over here. I see a Truglo 3x44 with a built-in red dot. Ocular and objective don't seem to be adjustable.

In the roughly hundred bucks price range, would I be better served by a traditional 4x32ao scope and like a rigid tube with eyepiece, as opposed to something prismatic?

If you do a forum search on the new Hawke prismatic scopes you'll find one AGN member was able to free up the lens carrier (with a hair dryer, I believe) & focus the scope to a closer distance.

Can't recall if it was the 4x or 6x but I'm guessing his experience will give you a basic idea.

Of course it won't tell you how difficult it will be to free up the lens carrier on an inexpensive optic like that. I don't have a lot of experience in this area but enough to know some of the less expensive scopes are glued with something very difficult to free up.

Reactions: sponge

Had to take a break from garage organization & looked it up. As I suspected, it was @Nutcracker who posted about adjusting the focus on the Hawke Prismatic.

He is my go to source for this information.

Reactions: sponge
Had to take a break from garage organization & looked it up. As I suspected, it was @Nutcracker who posted about adjusting the focus on the Hawke Prismatic.

He is my go to source for this information.

I'm thinking this is my best bet. Get one of these ACOG or Spitfire replicas, see if I can live with the parallax error, if not, loosen up the objective somehow and back it off a few threads.