Locations to shoot in So Cal

I’m new around here and have been searching up and down for a safe/legal place to shoot around the LA/OC/Riverside area. I have a felony, so it’s too much of a risk to my freedom to go to a range where firearms are around. I’m very new to the gun scene all around and I’m kind of overwhelmed with all the rules, laws, restrictions, etc so I was hoping I’d find some like minded people that direct me in whatever way possible. 

Are there any airgun only ranges in SoCal? Or are there particular places I should look for? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Here's some generic info..

https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting

Generally, you can shoot on just about all NF land..except where posted otherwise. You might want to by a general hunting license, just to cover your bases a protect yourself from someone saying you were "hunting without a license". You even need a license to shoot non-game animals like squirrels in CA.

FWIW, airguns aren't "firearms" in CA, but I wouldn't want to get in a pissing match with a Ranger or LEO, when your run across an area that says "no firearms"..probably not worth it in you case.

Be safe and enjoy. Grab a NF map from a local ranger station near you and go have fun!

You should be fine in any BLM land and national forest not immediately next to any population or structures. Your closest would angels national forest, big bear area, mojave/barstow, red canyon, california city or majority of high deserts. You would likely need a descent AWD or 4x4 to get to any descent shooting spot and make sure you don't shoot right next to any road, go at least 100 yards away from and out of sight from the main road. Too many ignorant people will report you even though it is legal since you don't have an firearm but given your background follow ALL firearm regulations and you will be fine. If you are willing to drive and have a 4x4 then there are huge areas you can shoot. 

Edit: +1 on hunting license in case dinner hop on by next to your target. 

On one hand, do a "search" of "shooting ranges in SoCal". There's a long thread in here somewhere about everyone's experiences. Most all outdoor ranges allow air guns.

On the other hand, I know of none that are air gun "only" in SoCal.

If you have the space, do what I do. Across my living room and down the hall and into a foam archery target. If I lock up the animals, I can open the back door (aligned with the hall) and back off as far as about 40 yards. I just normally back up to...the door and shoot offhand from there, about 17+ yards.

Good luck

Mike

Here's some generic info..

https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting

Generally, you can shoot on just about all NF land..except where posted otherwise. You might want to by a general hunting license, just to cover your bases a protect yourself from someone saying you were "hunting without a license". You even need a license to shoot non-game animals like squirrels in CA.

FWIW, airguns aren't "firearms" in CA, but I wouldn't want to get in a pissing match with a Ranger or LEO, when your run across an area that says "no firearms"..probably not worth it in you case.

Be safe and enjoy. Grab a NF map from a local ranger station near you and go have fun!

Thank you for the tips! I wasn't considering getting a particular license yet, but you've raised a great point. Covering all the bases is smart. I will be studying up on everything in that link you provided!

You should be fine in any BLM land and national forest not immediately next to any population or structures. Your closest would angels national forest, big bear area, mojave/barstow, red canyon, california city or majority of high deserts. You would likely need a descent AWD or 4x4 to get to any descent shooting spot and make sure you don't shoot right next to any road, go at least 100 yards away from and out of sight from the main road. Too many ignorant people will report you even though it is legal since you don't have an firearm but given your background follow ALL firearm regulations and you will be fine. If you are willing to drive and have a 4x4 then there are huge areas you can shoot. 

Edit: +1 on hunting license in case dinner hop on by next to your target.

Looks like I might have to get a buddy with a 4x4 to get to some of these places then. I'll do my due diligence and find out more about these areas and even scout if I have to. I''l also look into all of the regulations because following them sounds like a great idea. Thank you!