Looking at FX MK3 compact

I think that the Impact Compact is the best configuration of the model. In .22 cal mine is my go-to squirrel hunting gun, about 50 yards and in, being tuned down to shoot Hades in the 870's with great accuracy and repeatability. It is a gun I can pick up after not having shot it for a couple of weeks, and my first shot is dead on. I don't know why I even check the zero on it anymore.

But that 'hidden' (due to the bullpup configuration) full-length 500mm barrel provides so much flexibility. When received my gun was shooting 18.1's perfectly in the 880's with no tuning required other than turning some external wheels and knobs. So very flexible for use in different situations, and with the full length barrel, surprisingly quiet without need for additional sound moderation. And without needing a moderator, easy to screw on a 480cc bottle for long(er) sessions plinking off the bench.

And while on longer Impacts I require a bag rider to get any kind of accuracy off the bench, an added benefit of the Compact to me is that I don't feel the need for one.

Depending on your needs, an Impact Compact can really do a lot in varying shooting situations. I don't think they are any harder to find as compared to a 'standard' Impact, but they are cheaper...

IMG_2289.1638061994.JPG

...I am appreciating that bit aboot no additional sound moderation...those big cans get old...they can make things unwieldy...

...I can't get behind those bottles though, despite the advantages...

...I find it a bit ironic that with the power plenum and all the gun is tuned to shoot at moderate power levels...

...I find it especially interesting that the defining attribute of your MK3 seems to be how it holds zero...

...that was my biggest concern with FX rifles, after the leaking... 

...I can get used to the looks...I did buy an Airforce rife...

...the defining attributes for me were the simplicity and ruggedness of the design, and the Walther barrels...

...the complexity of the FX rifle is a turn off for me, but the FX barrels are another matter...

...the CZ barrel was a big factor in buying the Airmaks Caiman...the FX barrel liners are the main reason I have any interest in FX rifles...

...what I really want is a magic rifle, eh...

Hapo - In response to a couple of your comments (all are valid comments too!)

I find it a bit ironic that with the power plenum and all the gun is tuned to shoot at moderate power levels - I upgraded my Gen 1 Impact with a power plenum, not for power but for efficiency. Was shooting a .25, 34 grain at 840 fps before PP, but at 145 bar. After PP, same power, but at 110 bar.

…the complexity of the FX rifle is a turn off for me, but the FX barrels are another matter - Yes, the complexity can be a complete turn off. It's probably the most complex on the market so probably better suited for the more advanced airgunner. Completely agree

Magic rifle - gun with the simplicity of my Marauder with the accuracy and power and adjustability of the Impact.

Yes, my first post really speaks to my experiences with the accuracy, reliability, ease of shooting well, overall handiness and versatility of the Impact Compact, in both configurations I have owned (first MkII and now M3).

...The 'hidden' 500mm barrel keeps things compact and handy, and the fact that you can easily tune it for very efficient use of air allows it to perform quietly.

...Yes, I like the shot count of a bottle. Not so much for hunting where I may only take 15-20 shots in a session, but for when I also wish to use this gun for plinking.

...I choose to use Hades pellets for my ground squirrel hunting so I have the gun tuned down. The Power Plenum still benefits a gun with a 500mm barrel - if desired I could lower the reg pressure (#2) and get even more shots per fill. BUT leaving the Reg#2 where it is, it also allows me to shoot 18.1's in my personal golden zone (840-880+ fps) by just changing a few external wheels and knobs - versatility.

... Both my Compacts behaved like this as far as holding their zeros - maybe just because their shorter (for an Impact) barrels are better supported along their length than the 600-700-800mm barrels on other models.

...Have never had a leaky Impact yet (knock on wood). Worst one was a new MkII (Sniper) which liked to dump some of its air during a shooting session. FX diagnosed the problem over the phone and offered to fix it for free (I would have to pay shipping to them) or send me the repair parts for free. I chose the latter. Took me a few months before I worked up the courage to delve that deeply into my gun, but eventually I did it and had a successful repair (and ended up being quite proud of myself). 'Simple' these guns are not, but they can work really, really well.

...To me rifles have 2 different looks - the first is when it hangs on a wall. The second is when you are resting on the cheekpiece, looking through your scope, and watching target after target fall. Both looks are important, but I place so much more emphasis on the latter.

...I don't think that 'simple' or 'rugged' are attributes which many use to describe an Impact, but are instead owned currently by the guns coming out of Russia and Eastern Europe. On one hand I think that all will agree that the Impacts are complex guns in their design, but on the other hand this complexity of design simplifies the end-user tunability of the gun. And I find the Impacts to be rugged enough - My use is plinking, target shooting and light hunting. If I was spending weeks on end trudging through dense forests, jungles or deserts I may choose another platform. But I don't, so I dont.

...CZ barrels may be the finest in the world. But I don't personally find them to be any more or less accurate (in my simple uses) as compared to a Lothar Walther or an FX. And anyway the barrel is only one part of the equation as far as accuracy and repeatability. Changeability of the FX barrel liners (when available) for specific purposes may be attractive to some folks. It is not something which I utilize as to this point I probably shoot 99+% pellets and I generally like getting a gun shooting the way I want it to shoot, and then leaving it alone.

...I have built up a substantial airgun collection searching for magic guns. And I do have several - Impact Compact, Red Wolf HP .22, RAW .30. And they can all be magic in certain roles and on certain days (and all are, and will always be, only as good as the performance of the nut behind the trigger). I have tested several guns within my same use profile (mainly hunting destructive ground squirrels at 50-60 yards and closer up at the big shooting range) against my Impact Compact - Vixen, Katran Compact, Maverick Compact, Leshiy Classic, Cricket II, Lelya 2.0 and most recently Uragan Compact. Some of these other guns seem to work pretty well in all of the roles where the Impact Compact excels for me. Some work well in some roles, but not as well in others (roles being squirrel control, casual plinking with friends off the bench and benchtop bullseye target shooting). None are as easily tunable for different roles & projectiles as the Impact. None, yet, feel as natural in my hands while walking and stalking squirrels, and then transition as easily to the benchtop. All are incredible guns to me, but none are quite at the same level of versatility as the Impact Compact (although the Uragan Compact may be close - it is just that I have not had it for very long yet).

I hope that this post hasn't gone too far off topic, and will be useful to the OP who is thinking about buying an Impact Compact.

Reactions: Humdinger
Mike,

How do you judge (I know, very subjective) the noise level of your RTI PPC? I can only talk of a standard length Prophet Performance (likely a pretty early gun) I had in .22 cal, and that thing was LOUD. Perhaps they have made improvements over time with the efficiency of air use, but my very limited experience is that the Prophets almost required additional sound moderation. And that somewhat defeats to me one of the virtues of a compact gun (it is a reason my Katran Compact isn't higher on my list of favorite compacts).

Yes, my first post really speaks to my experiences with the accuracy, reliability, ease of shooting well, overall handiness and versatility of the Impact Compact, in both configurations I have owned (first MkII and now M3).

...The 'hidden' 500mm barrel keeps things compact and handy, and the fact that you can easily tune it for very efficient use of air allows it to perform quietly.

...Yes, I like the shot count of a bottle. Not so much for hunting where I may only take 15-20 shots in a session, but for when I also wish to use this gun for plinking.

...I choose to use Hades pellets for my ground squirrel hunting so I have the gun tuned down. The Power Plenum still benefits a gun with a 500mm barrel - if desired I could lower the reg pressure (#2) and get even more shots per fill. BUT leaving the Reg#2 where it is, it also allows me to shoot 18.1's in my personal golden zone (840-880+ fps) by just changing a few external wheels and knobs - versatility.

... Both my Compacts behaved like this as far as holding their zeros - maybe just because their shorter (for an Impact) barrels are better supported along their length than the 600-700-800mm barrels on other models.

...Have never had a leaky Impact yet (knock on wood). Worst one was a new MkII (Sniper) which liked to dump some of its air during a shooting session. FX diagnosed the problem over the phone and offered to fix it for free (I would have to pay shipping to them) or send me the repair parts for free. I chose the latter. Took me a few months before I worked up the courage to delve that deeply into my gun, but eventually I did it and had a successful repair (and ended up being quite proud of myself). 'Simple' these guns are not, but they can work really, really well.

...To me rifles have 2 different looks - the first is when it hangs on a wall. The second is when you are resting on the cheekpiece, looking through your scope, and watching target after target fall. Both looks are important, but I place so much more emphasis on the latter.

...I don't think that 'simple' or 'rugged' are attributes which many use to describe an Impact, but are instead owned currently by the guns coming out of Russia and Eastern Europe. On one hand I think that all will agree that the Impacts are complex guns in their design, but on the other hand this complexity of design simplifies the end-user tunability of the gun. And I find the Impacts to be rugged enough - My use is plinking, target shooting and light hunting. If I was spending weeks on end trudging through dense forests, jungles or deserts I may choose another platform. But I don't, so I dont.

...CZ barrels may be the finest in the world. But I don't personally find them to be any more or less accurate (in my simple uses) as compared to a Lothar Walther or an FX. And anyway the barrel is only one part of the equation as far as accuracy and repeatability. Changeability of the FX barrel liners (when available) for specific purposes may be attractive to some folks. It is not something which I utilize as to this point I probably shoot 99+% pellets and I generally like getting a gun shooting the way I want it to shoot, and then leaving it alone.

...I have built up a substantial airgun collection searching for magic guns. And I do have several - Impact Compact, Red Wolf HP .22, RAW .30. And they can all be magic in certain roles and on certain days (and all are, and will always be, only as good as the performance of the nut behind the trigger). I have tested several guns within my same use profile (mainly hunting destructive ground squirrels at 50-60 yards and closer up at the big shooting range) against my Impact Compact - Vixen, Katran Compact, Maverick Compact, Leshiy Classic, Cricket II, Lelya 2.0 and most recently Uragan Compact. Some of these other guns seem to work pretty well in all of the roles where the Impact Compact excels for me. Some work well in some roles, but not as well in others (roles being squirrel control, casual plinking with friends off the bench and benchtop bullseye target shooting). None are as easily tunable for different roles & projectiles as the Impact. None, yet, feel as natural in my hands while walking and stalking squirrels, and then transition as easily to the benchtop. All are incredible guns to me, but none are quite at the same level of versatility as the Impact Compact (although the Uragan Compact may be close - it is just that I have not had it for very long yet).

I hope that this post hasn't gone too far off topic, and will be useful to the OP who is thinking about buying an Impact Compact.

Tom, great post. I am in full agreement. When I got my M3 I changed my MK2 Sniper into an Impact Compact with a 480cc bottle. I used a DonnyFL Tanto and absolutely love it. I have since increased the bottle to a 580cc one and have a great shot count. And yes, none of my FX rifles leak.

B25B5469-B849-4967-9E94-5CED0B19AB56.1638122971.jpeg

...off topic...?!?...you just aboot got me sold on one...LoL...

Super torn. I like all the Feed back. Love the look of the FX wildcat MKIII sniper. But Impact MK3 standard is super tempting. Then the whole .25 vs .30 thing. But I only want to buy one

Wildcat trigger is a linkage system, feels fantastic for what it is but still a linkage system. Also like all other bullpups the hammer is at the rear or about an inch from your ear so when shooting you will hear a loud ping! A lot of people don't hear it but it really annoyed me to the point of wearing ear plug and then sold it shortly. Impact has the hammer right above the trigger so zero ping in the ear! If you got the coin go impact, hands down better, more flexible, easier to tune, power, accurate and just plain awesome. 

As far as caliber goes just look at ammo availability and you should easily figure out which caliber to get.......granted neither are good but 30 pellets are super expensive. Plus you can always get another barrel down the road. Granted I LOVE my impact but I still only have 1 Impact but ended up with 2 Crowns in 3 months some how. LOL