Looking for a rifle for coyote hunting.

IMG_0054.1637725972.JPG
IN ABOUT 2 MONTHS I WILL BE SHOPING FOR A NEW PCP FOR HUNTING COYOTES ( $ 600-800) Range.Would like everyone's opinion please. I do have a 25 cal Avenger I'm using for now ,using NSA 33.5 slugs that work on head shots . I'm looking at AEA guns but i have a funny feeling about them, maybe I'm wrong? I'm still very new to pcps. that's a 1/8 steel plate, the deep ones are from NSA29 grain slugs, OFF HAND AT 65 YARDS and yes i have shot and killed coyotes with this setup (head shots)

I am not trying to bust your chops... but have to ask. Have you ever hunted yotes before? They are very tough to hunt, and can be very, very tough to kill cleanly even with powder burners. Head shots are difficult to make due to the head moving so much and the skull is shaped such that even a partly off line shot will glance off the skull.

Bunnies and squirrels are a different level of hunting vs. coyotes. Good luck to ya. FWIW, a .22 can be enough - but I would rather have more FPE available than most .22 pcp are set up for, to hunt 'yotes. A good stiff wind will kill a rabbit, and a 2# squirrel is a huge squirrel, however, a 25# cotoye is a tough bastard.

I really wish guys would stop posting grossly under caliber/power hunting examples. They never show all the animals they wound that die from sepsis or predation and people get the wrong impression. If you kill much of anything larger than a raccoon with a .177 it’s just pure luck of the shot. Raccoon and possum is where I stop at with .22 and a typical 30FPE

I dislike coyotes but a .22 Rimfire with high velocity is the least I use (I don’t have an 80 or so FPE air rifle).

There are other corners of the internet with people talking about shooting deer and hogs with .177 and it’s just not right. It’s so simple to just grab something with the proper power for the job.

Reactions: Hal4son
Bulldog for that $ range is my recommendation. Nothing smaller than .30 here, not sure where you are, and for ‘yotes i agree with it fully. They are some tough SOB’s and depending on their winter/summer coat there could be alot more to punch through if you cant take a clean bean shot. ethnical airgun hunting first and foremost for me, I’ll leave the extreme shots for EFT comps. 

My vote is for the Benjamin Bulldog .357 also. Ample power to get the job done on more forgiving heart/lung shots. Note, that I'm biased as I own two of these, but I am also very confident in the power they posses as I have used them for a significant amount of pesting. As far as AEA goes, I had a bad experience with them myself. It's hard to beat the five year warranty you get with the Bulldog, and I'd easily pay double the Bulldog's price just for the differences in the trigger alone.

But the thing that should seal the deal for you is the awesome sale price you can get the Bulldog for at Sportsman's Guide for $639 with the $10 3-month membership . This is where I got my second Bulldog, and it is identical to the $800 I paid off of Amazon.

Someone may have killed a coyote with a .22cal PCP, but they probably will say you can kill a bear with a .22 LR because someone did it once. Use the appropriate power for the job so you can not need the stars to align for an ethical kill.

Here is a raccoon shot with the Bulldog using NSA 110gr slugs in .358 cal.

https://youtu.be/QxqnSF0WzbA

And here is the aftermath in the morning:

raccoon quartered.1637634754.jpg

You can't go wrong with the Texan .257 or .308. I would go .257 if for nothing more than just a slightly flatter trajectory. Here are some pros and cons of Texan vs. Bulldog:

Texan:

Neither pro nor con: Texan will be $1000.00. You get what you pay for but it's worth it.

Pro: Texan's flat shooting, reliability, and power are unmatched. Period, end of story.

Pro: The Texan is the only gun in its class (and maybe at all) that will drop yotes all day long at 200 yards with only a minimum of shooting ability and practice. In other words, if you have even a little skill and practice you will be sub-3" groups all day at 200+ yards out of the box and you will improve on that with tune/bullet/more practice

Con: Terrible ergonomics for carrying afield. 

Con: Slugs only (if you consider it a con)

Con: Needs a Mad Dog or Diamond stock to really shine.

Bulldog:

Pro: A joy to pack around and despite the fact that's ugly it handles wonderfully.

Pro: Slightly more affordable.

Pro: It's a repeater.

Pro: shoots pellets or slugs

Pro: Great for a ground blind do to its short size.

Con: It's a short range sub-100 yard gun for hunting. You can stretch it on the bench but practically speaking it has too much holdover for a moving target past 100 yards and you'd have to be a wizard to judge the distance (and cast a spell for the yote to hold still while you do)

Con: It's loud, very loud. An added suppressor takes away the ergonomic factor and negates (to me) the advantage of the portability. Texan suppressed is quieter.

That's the basics. It's just my opinion based on handling and shooting both. I'll admit that I'm partial to the Texan(s) because I don't like showing up under-horsepowered. I saw it mentioned above about wounding animals and I find no joy in 'seeing if' I can kill a large animal with a small caliber. That's why I use my Texan .308 for turkeys most of the time and not my .25 FX Impact. I have to head shoot a bird with the FX to anchor it, but the Texan will do the same thing with a body shot, therefore extending my range and ensuring clean kills. I've had more turkeys run off than I care to admit and the majority were because of using a .25 cal. vs. the .308.

Good discussion and good luck with your choice. 

Hi folks,

First post here. I joined because I'm looking for advice on a yote rifle. I currently own an FX dream lite .25, with mods and it is effective on groundhogs. But I think I want to go 30 cal for yotes. I'll be ground hunting @ night with thermal, 100-150 yards max. So a bench set-up like a Texan doesn't get my interest. Not to sound like a snob, but I'm not terribly concerned about the price. I want to get the best weapon for the job and only buy it once! I've made too many mistakes in my life by cheaping out, lol. Thanks for any advice and I'm glad to meet you all. Kevin from NJ

A .357 Benjamin Bulldog is definitely capable as is a big bore Airforce Texan. A stock Bulldog’s probably your best bet for that price range. I’ve read that AEA makes capable guns, but I’ve never used them and don’t know much about the accuracy and particulars of various models. They do seem to be affordable and powerful though. Maybe someone with experience with them can chime in. 

No votes for the AAA Evol .30 for coyotes? (The Evol is directed toward @KevinTN’s post). 

A .357 Benjamin Bulldog is definitely capable as is a big bore Airforce Texan. A stock Bulldog’s probably your best bet for that price range. I’ve read that AEA makes capable guns, but I’ve never used them and don’t know much about the accuracy and particulars of various models. They do seem to be affordable and powerful though. Maybe someone with experience with them can chime in. 

No votes for the AAA Evol .30 for coyotes? (The Evol is directed toward @KevinTN’s post).

Yeah the EVOL is a badass hunting gun for sure. Didn't mention it due to OP's budget as this is a commitment.

IMG_20210423_125337_183.1637964311.jpg