Looking for pistol or compact pcp for squirrels SAM

iDB

Jul 19, 2024
I have a larger caliber for coyotes I’m still working on and should have sighted in and ready to call in coyotes hopefully monday night but I’m wondering what I should be looking at for squirrels, skunk, raccoons.
I would like SAM. I would really like a compact or pcp pistol that can have stock and all that attached.
Something that I can have on my atv and grab and know it’s going to be good to go and durable.

Reactions: Bandito
Umarex Notos perhaps would do the trick? It's widely popular, compact, and very configurable. You can set it as a pistol or as a carbine. And seems to be very reliable. So far, only positive feedback and praises.

UPDATE: Sorry, Notos is not semi-auto, my bad. Better suggestions below.
UPDATE2: I would actually recommend AEA SF 30 or AEA HP Carbine 30, but I probably will be mocked for it :cry:.

Last edited:
For squirrels or a small skunk a Notos would be great as would my old Prod (tuned up to 18 fpe). But for a raccoon I would not use it. They can weigh over 50 lbs. I killed a small one, about 8 lbs, with my P35-22 which is tuned to over 30 fpe and it took three shots. I would want at least a 25 caliber if raccoons are a potential target. My P35-25 is tuned to about 45 fpe shooting JSB MKII 33.95s about 760 fps. It would be plenty for any squirrel or skunk and I think not too small for an average sized raccoon with careful placement. It's about 30 inches long with it's internal moderator and about 5 lbs before you add a scope. I have mine in wood stocks but they come with a plastic stock that seems pretty rugged. The Stoeger bullshark is about a pound heaver due to the larger plastic stock but it also has a little longer barrel so it should make a bit more power. The bigger stock better protects the airtube which seems like a good thing for a gun on an ATV. My three P35s have been reliable.

For squirrels or a small skunk a Notos would be great as would my old Prod (tuned up to 18 fpe). But for a raccoon I would not use it. They can weigh over 50 lbs. I killed a small one, about 8 lbs, with my P35-22 which is tuned to over 30 fpe and it took three shots. I would want at least a 25 caliber if raccoons are a potential target. My P35-25 is tuned to about 45 fpe shooting JSB MKII 33.95s about 760 fps. It would be plenty for any squirrel or skunk and I think not too small for an average sized raccoon with careful placement. It's about 30 inches long with it's internal moderator and about 5 lbs before you add a scope. I have mine in wood stocks but they come with a plastic stock that seems pretty rugged. The Stoeger bullshark is about a pound heaver due to the larger plastic stock but it also has a little longer barrel so it should make a bit more power. The bigger stock better protects the airtube which seems like a good thing for a gun on an ATV. My three P35s have been reliable.
Have you tried shooting the metal mags out of the p35? I think they would put a stop to the largest of raccoons even at much lower power

Semi auto that will dispatch a coon? Leshiy 2, huben bullpup, or a hatsan invader/bullmaster. The later of those are problematic sometimes, loud, and heavy triggers.

Personally, a 50 fpe 25 side lever is all you need. I've dropped them with 35 fpe 25 cal and 32 fpe 22 cal before.
Don't forget the Ben Maurader SAM, or the Hatsan Blitz. I haven't heard any problems with the invader from anyone.

Don't forget the Ben Maurader SAM, or the Hatsan Blitz. I haven't heard any problems with the invader from anyone.
I had an invader 25 cal very briefly. The trigger was long and stiff... that's what she said.

Accuracy was questionable at 30+

I have a tin of metal mags and my P35-22 shoots them reasonably accurately. But I wouldn't recommend them for a larger animal like a raccoon with a 30-35 fpe 22. The problem is they will not penetrate nearly as well as a simple domed pellet. A metal mag would help if overpenetration was the issue but they definitely will not increase penetration. Anything that expands will reduce penetration. I think even a 50 fpe 25 is unlikely to shoot through an average sized raccoon. Maybe an expanding projectile like a metal mag would be OK in a 50 fpe 22 caliber PCP. But I don't have one of those.

I have a tin of metal mags and my P35-22 shoots them reasonably accurately. But I wouldn't recommend them for a larger animal like a raccoon with a 30-35 fpe 22. The problem is they will not penetrate nearly as well as a simple domed pellet. A metal mag would help if overpenetration was the issue but they definitely will not increase penetration. Anything that expands will reduce penetration. I think even a 50 fpe 25 is unlikely to shoot through an average sized raccoon. Maybe an expanding projectile like a metal mag would be OK in a 50 fpe 22 caliber PCP. But I don't have one of those.
Idk, I have used metal mags in .177 shooting about 18fpe and shot though boths sides 13-15lbs iguanas skulls betwen 30 and 40yds. I havent really found them to expand much but penetrate a lot more than the other domed pellets. Maybe raccoons have a much denser skull

I test in mdf for skull penetration and wet magazines for muscle penetration. Not perfect I am sure but it is what I use. Expanding projectiles like metal mags or most slugs penetrate about the same as domed pellets in mdf but do not penetrate nearly as far in wet magazines. I think the mdf is hard and distorts all lead projectiles making their penetration similar. But metal mags expand in wet paper even at the limited velocity my Prod gives them. I shot a dead squirrel with one too to test penetration and it expanded. The expansion makes the hole wider but shallower. Useful when over penetration could be an issue but not as useful in my opinion where you pretty much need all the penetration you can get.

Reactions: iDB