American Air Arms Low powered Evol Mini tune

Matt -

While I use varying pellet weights during any given session, I do my adjusting on all of my adjustable guns with 18.1 gn pellets. Either FX or JSB.

Wow, slower than 800fps. That's getting down there. Seems that most of the high end shooters comment that below 800fps is getting below any good accuracy with most all pellets, in most all guns.

Mike

Not entirely true, wadcutters from my understanding perform best at well below that. Also if you're shooting inside a barn for example or other close quarter situations, even backyards, why would you need 800 fps?

-Matt

Got it changed this morning. Also FYI I was able to do what I needed without having to use the dedicated tools just had to remove fill port and gauge and spin off the end cap. I put pressure between barrel and airtube to make it so it wouldn't rub while spinning off. Then used a hex that attaches to a 3/8 socket extension to adjust the reg without removing. Very simple actually. Where it's at now is 1600psi. Max fps is at 820fps with 18gr. So around 400psi and about 70fps from previous max. I can't get it much lower as there is very little adjustment before the reg doesn't allow air to go through. Yeah found that one out the hard way lol. I have it set at 20fpe and it shoots just fine just not super consistent 20-30fps spread with CPHPs and 15-20fps with JTS 18gr but for what it is I might leave it. It's shoots very well regardless. 5 at 37yds with the CPHPs at 800fps

20240921_080502.jpg

Got it changed this morning. Also FYI I was able to do what I needed without having to use the dedicated tools just had to remove fill port and gauge and spin off the end cap. I put pressure between barrel and airtube to make it so it wouldn't rub while spinning off. Then used a hex that attaches to a 3/8 socket extension to adjust the reg without removing. Very simple actually. Where it's at now is 1600psi. Max fps is at 820fps with 18gr. So around 400psi and about 70fps from previous max. I can't get it much lower as there is very little adjustment before the reg doesn't allow air to go through. Yeah found that one out the hard way lol. I have it set at 20fpe and it shoots just fine just not super consistent 20-30fps spread with CPHPs and 15-20fps with JTS 18gr but for what it is I might leave it. It's shoots very well regardless. 5 at 37yds with the CPHPs at 800fps

Nice work, looks like to take it down further you'd wanna choke the TP (or valve inlet), a choked TP would help consistency, if you ever wanted to improve that while taking power down further.

Much like guns that require to be sub 12 fpe, they just choke the air.

-Matt

Reactions: Dairyboy
Leave the Evol as is. This is a perfect opportunity to start shopping for a new rifle! 12 fpe is the sweet spot for nice springer.
Agreed with the above or, simply sell the Evol and buy a PCP that’s easier to tune up or down via exterior adjustments… Can’t resist showing my current favorite BRK, the Pathfinder XR. External adustment available without special tools: TP (knob on side) regulator (underside) and HS (via a hole accessible by folding the stock. Of late with the TP on low, she has been stellar out to 50yards sending CPHPs.
IMG_1602.jpeg

Agreed with the above or, simply sell the Evol and buy a PCP that’s easier to tune up or down via exterior adjustments… Can’t resist showing my current favorite BRK, the Pathfinder XR. External adustment available without special tools: TP (knob on side) regulator (underside) and HS (via a hole accessible by folding the stock. Of late with the TP on low, she has been stellar out to 50yards sending CPHPs.
View attachment 498046

What do you find yourself adjusting most to tweak your fps? All of the above or just the TP wheel, ect? (IMO all modern pcp's should come with an adjustable TP choke, ideally quarter turn valve.)

-Matt

What do you find yourself adjusting most to tweak your fps? All of the above or just the TP wheel, ect? (IMO all modern pcp's should come with an adjustable TP choke, ideally quarter turn valve.)

-Matt
The TP gives me all the range of adjustments for my current needs, haven’t adjusted the regulator or HS on my Atomics or Pathfinder. Don’t mind that the same amount of air is used whatever position the TP is set at, because power reduction is more important to me on the fly, than shot count….

Matt -

While I use varying pellet weights during any given session, I do my adjusting on all of my adjustable guns with 18.1 gn pellets. Either FX or JSB.

Wow, slower than 800fps. That's getting down there. Seems that most of the high end shooters comment that below 800fps is getting below any good accuracy with most all pellets, in most all guns.

Mike
Feinwerkbau, Anschutz, Hammerli, Steyr and others that have built and continue to build gold medal winning rifles might not agree with you there.

And neither would the airgun fans or manufacturers in the UK, Germany and other power restricted countries.

And neither would I, but I'm just a dumb redneck who shoots a lot of low powered guns.

I agree 100% more guns need a TP adjustment. The newer HPS one do have an adjustment on the valve being a balanced valve but not these.

I'm not going to sell this gun as it is just way too good. I did try and didn't sell even at a discount price so I took that as I'm going to make it work for my needs. I'm not going to just give it away for nothing.

Plus I'm very happy where it is now. Just popped 3 starlings at 75-80yds with CPHPs at 800fps/20fpe. Can't wipe the smile off my face with how it feels to shoot now.

The TP gives me all the range of adjustments for my current needs, haven’t adjusted the regulator or HS on my Atomics or Pathfinder. Don’t mind that the same amount of air is used whatever position the TP is set at, because power reduction is more important to me on the fly, than shot count….

Me too, mostly...I do have a quick change system for ssg carriers with different rated springs that retain their 'tune' and my gun is capable of swinging from 15 fpe to 50 in .22 cal, so I do use a lower spring on the 15-30 fpe tunes, and a heavier one for 30-50.

-Matt

Reactions: L.Leon
Shot it again this afternoon 2 shots 1 pigeon at 65yds DRT and another starting at 79yds with CPHPs. I'm not touching the guns tune. Right now has my Arken 4-16 LH4 on it but will be sporting my Discovery 2-12x24 when it arrives.
The lower power tunes, sending inexpensive CPHPs are simply a winning combination. Glad that you sorted it out to your satisfaction. Your Evol Mini is a solid gun…🙏