MAC1 USFT Analysis/Overview

Trigger sticks gen 2 are great - amazon and mike rutka makes a great collar for it @DeadEyeNC
If you ever have the opportunity to shoot up here in PA, particularly Palmyra, trigger sticks won’t go high enough for some of the evil up hill shots we have to take! Just wanted to give you a heads up. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Come out west some June and shoot the Nevada State / GP .... Yea a whole lot of steep shots asking ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH :unsure:

thumbnai.jpg

Reactions: thane
Wait until you come to the nationals. MRA has two shots that are probably taken at 70 plus degrees.
Paul Cray has two shots even steeper at Whappinger Falls.
pretty hard to train for that in my backyard... but very off topic from our USFT over view.

Reactions: SAZ and woogie_man
OK - here are your USFT links. First time I shot the Paul Cray course was with my USFT. The tree targets are at a distance of only 12-13 yards (ranged), but are also 11 yards up in a tree. The kill zones are now an ellipses. Needless to say, without hold-overs on this first outing I was totally lost. These aerial shots were even more difficult. Oh, and Paul Cray was 2007 FT world champ using a USFT.

Train by taking one of your targets and put it in a box that you can pull up on a rope into a tree.

Reactions: beerthief
OK - here are your USFT links. First time I shot the Paul Cray course was with my USFT. The tree targets are at a distance of only 12-13 yards (ranged), but are also 11 yards up in a tree. The kill zones are now an ellipses. Needless to say, without hold-overs on this first outing I was totally lost. These aerial shots were even more difficult. Oh, and Paul Cray was 2007 FT world champ using a USFT.

Train by taking one of your targets and put it in a box that you can pull up on a rope into a tree.
seems to me that an FT target has to be level to work properly ? so if a level target is up 30 feet in a tree you are correct the kill zone would appear to be an oval . . Also if the target were slanted down square to the shooting line of sight the target would not work , your pellet would not have the oomph to lift the face plate . interesting ! i will have to experiment . ( or we can just leave it as a tougher target is there a Troyer number for this ? )

Yes, the targets are level, hence the oval (reduced) kill zone. Between the kill zone change and the fact that these are no more than 11-13 yards out, you sometimes have a hard time acquiring them. Just remembered that Leo from Rockville (CT) also uses high targets - so that'll be on the agenda for next years national.
Need to start a separate thread for this 👍

Reactions: SAZ
Got some of the Hunter class holdover worked out late last night. I'm a shoot it and see actual kind of guy, sometimes following along with Strelok. Started at 3.5 mils for 10 yards, got as far as 0.9mil for 18 yards before I ran out of daylight. Wanted to double check what I had the other night so ran a trap out to 55 yards right before I was out of daylight and confirmed 0.7 mil holdover for 55 yards.

Been working with a 1.2-1.3 mil holdover at 55 for the .20/13.73 just about maxed out in fps to stay legal. Not news to me, but the .177/10.34 is certainly that "flatter" that some people hate to hear about. I'm about 49/51 on the faster flatter versus slightly more loopy but better in the wind argument. The .177/10.34 being the faster/flatter and the .20/13.73 being the slower but more wind resistant. Both can be accounted for/accustomed to.

That's all with a 30ish yard zero. Should be able to hold cross hairs dead on from about 22-42 yards with the .177/10.34s from the USFT, at least at my home elevation and the high country matches where I often shoot. When I have time I'll shoot em to verify.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAZ and thane
Got some of the Hunter class holdover worked out late last night. I'm a shoot it and see actual kind of guy, sometimes following along with Strelok. Started at 3.5 mils for 10 yards, got as far as 0.9mil for 18 yards before I ran out of daylight. Wanted to double check what I had the other night so ran a trap out to 55 yards right before I was out of daylight and confirmed 0.7 mil holdover for 55 yards.

Been working with a 1.2-1.3 mil holdover at 55 for the .20/13.73 just about maxed out in fps to stay legal. Not news to me, but the .177/10.34 is certainly that "flatter" that some people hate to hear about. I'm about 49/51 on the faster flatter versus slightly more loopy but better in the wind argument. The .177/10.34 being the faster/flatter and the .20/13.73 being the slower but more wind resistant. Both can be accounted for/accustomed to.

That's all with a 30ish yard zero. Should be able to hold cross hairs dead on from about 22-42 yards with the .177/10.34s from the USFT, at least at my home elevation and the high country matches where I often shoot. When I have time I'll shoot em to verify.
Good info