Made it to the Blue Trail Range, connecticut guys check it out.

Brought the paradigm to a powder burner range today to do some 100 yard shooting and shot a lot. Got a lot of looks too , maybe some shocked ones 🤔 lol I'm not making noise but printing full mag groups pretty consistently like the one shown without wind flags, there's really no place for them when shooting 100y there.

Was a good day of shooting, started at 9am left at 2pm.

Aside from the .308 banging off in my ear it was a great time. The RSO's were great, very clean, organized range with 90 benches. Target change/cease fire every 30 minutes.

I will definitely go back again , but with better hearing protection next time, I think it's something a lot if us forget about, I kno I did, it had been almost a year since I've shot a pb.

The red is 50 yard and the blue is my target at 100
20230902_102654.jpg
20230902_120331.jpg
20230902_121608.jpg
Screenshot_20230902_115841_AccuWeather.jpg
20230902_085402.jpg

The Charter Oak Pelletiers back in 2000 held their 1st Field Target Match at the Blue Trail.
We were the (un)official premier Connecticut airgun club!
All over the 'old' yellow forum known as C.O.P.s

That is really cool! I had asked one of the RSO'S about holding events etc , like a 100yard benchrest and he said they don't really do events anymore. It wouldn't be the best place for that anywho, the 50 yard birm obscures the 100 yard target and they said they can't raise the height of the target anymore , liability reasons, which I completely understand .

I'm glad you had a positive experience. It's 45 mins from me but I've heard nothing but negative experiences from members on another forum. Dirty looks, safety concerns from RSO (tanks on or near bench) They said it was so bad they didn't even stay the full hour because they didn't feel comfortable.
I had my tank on the bench, I don't see anything wrong with that , nor did any of the RSO's , all of them were very friendly, had a few of them even come up and ask me about my setup intrigued.

I find that most of the time it isn't a negative action but a negative reaction to something not right....

I was very polite, as were they, I asked that they go over the range rules with me when I got there and they did, I listened to each and everything that came over the intercom.

Maybe they have different employees? But the two older gentleman I engaged with mostly are there quite often they said.

I don't know 🤷‍♂️

I live about 20 minutes from Blue Trail. I haven’t been shooting there for very many years, not because of any issue with them but simply due to the fact that I am a member of two clubs nearby (Niantic Sportsmen’s Club and Guilford Sportsmen’s Club) so I don’t have any problems with a place to shoot (plus I have up to 50 yards safely at home).

A few years ago Blue Trail was having some major troubles with the people who live around them. There were some significant safety issues, not to mention lawsuits etc, and they probably came close to being shut down. Basically (as far as I remember) they had issues with bullets going off the property and a couple ending up in people’s homes (no one was hit by any bullets). I know they did end up closing their 200 yard range, and for a while I believe they even closed the 100 yard range and were limited to 50. I think many of the complaints about overzealous Range Officers date back to that period about 12-15 years ago and shortly thereafter. Probably the ROs were reacting to the need for extra vigilance. I haven’t heard any similar complaints for many years, and they are still functioning.

I live about 20 minutes from Blue Trail. I haven’t been shooting there for very many years, not because of any issue with them but simply due to the fact that I am a member of two clubs nearby (Niantic Sportsmen’s Club and Guilford Sportsmen’s Club) so I don’t have any problems with a place to shoot (plus I have up to 50 yards safely at home).

A few years ago Blue Trail was having some major troubles with the people who live around them. There were some significant safety issues, not to mention lawsuits etc, and they probably came close to being shut down. Basically (as far as I remember) they had issues with bullets going off the property and a couple ending up in people’s homes (no one was hit by any bullets). I know they did end up closing their 200 yard range, and for a while I believe they even closed the 100 yard range and were limited to 50. I think many of the complaints about overzealous Range Officers date back to that period about 12-15 years ago and shortly thereafter. Probably the ROs were reacting to the need for extra vigilance. I haven’t heard any similar complaints for many years, and they are still functioning.
They have shut down the 200 yard range they also give a very narrow window to a shoot through off the bench , they also prohibit any targets placed up on birms. Makes sense now with what you just mentioned.

It was the first time I've been to a range where you're basically given a porthole to shoot through , although I didn't mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChRiSiS
The "porthole" as you mention it is actually lower than I remember, if you're rifle was any higher I think the scope would've been blocked.

It sounds like, barring your lack of ear pro (how's that ringing in your ears today), it was a good experience though.

How busy was it at 9am versus noon or 2pm for a weekend day? Keeping in mind it's the last long weekend of the summer so might have been a bit less busy than normal.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
The "porthole" as you mention it is actually lower than I remember, if you're rifle was any higher I think the scope would've been blocked.

It sounds like, barring your lack of ear pro (how's that ringing in your ears today), it was a good experience though.

How busy was it at 9am versus noon or 2pm for a weekend day? Keeping in mind it's the last long weekend of the summer so might have been a bit less busy than normal.
At 9 am there were 5 other people shooting rifle, at noon time there were still 40 open benches and same at 2pm.

The picture is a little deceiving but @brawler1588 witnessed how large the anvil bipod is yesterday so theres plenty of room heres another pic for reference.

I definitely do not recommend only using ear plugs, ear plugs and muffs are definitely a necessity.

20230902_091903.jpg

That's why finding a nice chunk of land where no one will bother you. Have gotten to hate public ranges. A nice draw or something is great, epically with suppressed guns where you won't draw attention to yourself.

I was promised use of private land then it became an "insurance" issue... I would pay someone around my area if I could use their land so I wouldn't have to go anywhere.

Reactions: 17dean