Maintenance FX Wildcat

After 9 years with my FX Wildcat I’m due for some maintenance. I’ve shot it straight out of the box with great accuracy with over 2000 squirrels harvested. Recently it has started leaking from the small atmospheric hole in the air cylinder. I ordered replacement o-rings from captain o-rings and watched Earnest’s masterclass videos to replace them. It still leaks out of the hole, so instead of sending it off for repairs I ordered a huma replacement regulator. While I’m waiting on its arrival, I was wondering if anyone has information on if, when or how to clean a Huggett moderator. It has been on the gun from the start and likely needs attention as well, if necessary. I have had no issues with the Wildcat MKI or Huggett until this 9 year mark. The gun has remained deadly accurate. I even carved a custom mahogany stock for it. Thanks for any help
IMG_8430.png
IMG_8431.png
IMG_8432.png

This past summer, after 7 years of flawless performance, my FX Boss regulator died. I tried 2 oem regulators (with the help & generosity of Centercut) but couldn't get things right. C'cut suggested getting a Huma regulator. I ordered a HP reg set at 160bar (per Ernest Rowe video). The Boss has NEVER been better since or before. Power, accuracy & shot count is amazing! Hope you get the same results with your Cat.

The Wildcat is an excellent platform.
Huggetts are actually easy enough to clean. Just remove at least one of the end caps and remove the innards. Wash in a soapy solution, rinse and dry.
If the soft materials are too dirty or beyond cleaning, contact Huggett and request new innards. It will take a little time as they are across the pond, but well worth it.

Mike

Reactions: plinker
Just a note. When you tried to rebuild the reg yourself did you take out the very tiny oring that sits in the gun at the bottom of the threads where you unscrewed the stock reg ? Did you do it very carefully without scratching the surfaces? Just asking as this is likely the area that caused it to still be leaking after the fix attempt. If it is then a new huma reg will produce the exact same results.

Last edited:
Reactions: plinker
The Wildcat is an excellent platform.
Huggetts are actually easy enough to clean. Just remove at least one of the end caps and remove the innards. Wash in a soapy solution, rinse and dry.
If the soft materials are too dirty or beyond cleaning, contact Huggett and request new innards. It will take a little time as they are across the pond, but well worth it.

Mike
Thanks Revoman, just the info I needed

This past summer, after 7 years of flawless performance, my FX Boss regulator died. I tried 2 oem regulators (with the help & generosity of Centercut) but couldn't get things right. C'cut suggested getting a Huma regulator. I ordered a HP reg set at 160bar (per Ernest Rowe video). The Boss has NEVER been better since or before. Power, accuracy & shot count is amazing! Hope you get the same results with your Cat.
Gerry52, thanks, now I’m excited about the Huma choice. I hope I have the same success.

Just a note. When you tried to rebuild the reg yourself did you take out the very tiny oring that sits in the gun at the bottom of the threads where you unscrewed the stock reg ? Did you do it very carefully without scratching the surfaces? Just asking as this is likely the area that caused it to still be leaking after the fix attempt. If it is then a new huma reg will produce the exact same results.
Trucker 3573, I’ll go back over it and try that! Thanks

I miss all of the crafting and woodworking/metal projects LOL . I wish you and you Family the very best .

I hope you get it going soon .
:coffee:
I’m still playing with tools for sure. Thanks for the well wishes (wife has survived breast cancer and recovered so we’re grateful)and hope the best for you as well. Here is a plasma cut I did for fun from a 24x36, 3/8 steel sheet I found

IMG_8443.png

IMG_8444.png

IMG_8445.png

IMG_8446.png

• Love
Reactions: swNCsw
Looks good!
I sure would like to know what that white, soft material actually is, I tried lint filter material....not too good.
Anyone know?

Mike
Just a wild guess, but it reminds me of what they use for a prefilter, on air scrubbers.

Well, I received my new Wildcat MKI Huma regulator from Utah Airguns a day earlier than expected and placed it in the air tube. So far I have no leaks and I’m back in business. I’ll watch the pressure over a few days and make sure there is no drop. I raised the elevation two clicks to dead on at 60 yards, as the only needed adjustment. I cut the same hole and feel confident to head back to squirrel control. My peaches, pears and blueberries are safe again. At $85 I believe it was a better choice than sending the gun off for repairs, though I don’t know what they would have charged. My only issue now, which I’m hoping someone will address, is this. Previous to my work, the safety could only be engaged with the gun cocked. Now it will engage cocked or fired. That quirk was how I knew it was loaded. I’m guessing it has something to do with the trigger linkage. Does anybody have a quick fix or suggestion for that minor inconvenience?? Thanks, gone fishing!
IMG_8527.png
IMG_8526.jpeg
IMG_3689.jpeg