Benjamin Marauder. 22 maxed power

With h&n 21.14 gr domed at 30 yards my home range.

20240710_192156.jpg

20240710_192211.jpg

20240710_192201.jpg

Threw both sides you can see on bottle.

I need to get a chrony
Actually I'm not seeing that .... if going threw an existing hole it appears to exit threw the contacted side. If hitting the facing side of shot, it has made a dent on backside as clearly shown in the photo's

A soft lead pellet doing a single hole / punch threw hardly resembles a pellet on contacting the second, or has the retained energy to do so again.

IMO of what shown :unsure:

Wowzer! 🤯 I just got my hands on my first Marauder. So, I don't have much knowledge yet about how to tune them. How do I max out power to do just THAT!!!??? What's the FPE you are getting? I assume you opened the transfer port to the max, tensioned the hammer spring, and probably also extended the striker out. This is me reading tuning guide now :). But in any case, very impressive for 22 Marauder!

Reactions: pcponly
Wowzer! 🤯 I just got my hands on my first Marauder. So, I don't have much knowledge yet about how to tune them. How do I max out power to do just THAT!!!??? What's the FPE you are getting? I assume you opened the transfer port to the max, tensioned the hammer spring, and probably also extended the striker out. This is me reading tuning guide now :). But in any case, very impressive for 22 Marauder!
Right now we have a propane cylinder with some holes in it, no velocity or fpe or shot string.

Diablo pellets are strange things. They like speeds typically under 940 fps and often quite a bit less for any useful accuracy. A 21.14 grain pellet as used by the OP at 940 fps will have 41.4 fpe at the muzzle.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcponly
My .22 cal marauder currently can sling 25.4's at either 940 fps regulated @ 2100 psi for 50 fpe, or 990 unregulated for 55 fpe. That is about maxed out for an OEM 20" barrel. With heavier ammo (34gr slug for example) could push 68~ fpe unregulated.

My .25 cal marauder at 2100 psi does 64 fpe regulated at 2100 psi and unregulated 74 fpe with 34 gr. With heavier ammo (48 gr slug for example) could push 90+ fpe unregulated.

My .177 marauder at 2100 psi does 32 fpe with 16gr regulated at 2100 psi and unregulated it'll push 36 fpe. Heavier ammo (20gr) brings it up to 41 fpe unregulated.

So .177 = 41 fpe, .22 = 68 fpe, .25 = 90 fpe.

If one wants to push things to the extreme with full bore porting and crazy high pressure, meaning low shot counts, the above would maybe push closer to..

.177 = 47 fpe, .22 = 81 fpe, .25 = 107 fpe.

That being said, not many people will push it to the last extreme, and the rifle isn't versatile or likely a sweet shooter if taken there. Also my mrod prefers 22 gr over 25 gr, so its ideal max power is 46 fpe regulated, and 50ish fpe unregulated.

FWIW my .22 cal specs are

.198" porting (90% of bore)
145 bar/ 2100 psi regulated
53 cc plenum volume which is about 1.1cc per fpe in 22 cal at 46 fpe.

-Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: pcponly and uladz
My .22 cal marauder currently can sling 25.4's at either 940 fps regulated @ 2100 psi for 50 fpe, or 990 unregulated for 55 fpe. That is about maxed out for an OEM 20" barrel. With heavier ammo (34gr slug for example) could push 68~ fpe unregulated.

My .25 cal marauder at 2100 psi does 64 fpe regulated at 2100 psi and unregulated 74 fpe with 34 gr. With heavier ammo (48 gr slug for example) could push 90+ fpe unregulated.

My .177 marauder at 2100 psi does 32 fpe with 16gr regulated at 2100 psi and unregulated it'll push 36 fpe. Heavier ammo (20gr) brings it up to 41 fpe unregulated.

So .177 = 41 fpe, .22 = 68 fpe, .25 = 90 fpe.

If one wants to push things to the extreme with full bore porting and crazy high pressure, meaning low shot counts, the above would maybe push closer to..

.177 = 47 fpe, .22 = 81 fpe, .25 = 107 fpe.

That being said, not many people will push it to the last extreme, and the rifle isn't versatile or likely a sweet shooter if taken there. Also my gun prefers 22 gr over 25 gr, so its ideal max power is 46 fpe regulated, and 50ish fpe unregulated.

-Matt
That is insane what have you done to the 22 unregulated keeping it stock? to get those numbers I'm probably getting 45 fpe with the 21 gr

That is insane what have you done to the 22 unregulated keeping it stock? to get those numbers I'm probably getting 45 fpe with the 21 gr

For a stock 22 unregulated, 45 FPE with 21 gr is expected. (66% of bore porting.) With .198" porting that goes up but shot count goes down. I really don't tune for peak/max power as I feel it wastes too much air and makes shot cycles unpleasant vs being tuned a bit lower to 96% +/- 1% of your plateau.

One lovely thing about unregulated rifles/marauders is you can turn in the velocity screw and back off the hammer to get a lot of shots at lower powers and sling lighter pellets, or crank the hammer and turn the screw out to max to shoot heavier ammo with gobs of power that most regulated rifles cannot obtain, as long as you can accept lower shot counts and using a smaller pressure range up top, from 3000ish down to 2600ish instead of 3000 down to 2000 with lower power tunes.

My valve is pretty custom but the most important part is that it breathes equal to .198" porting from poppet to pellet where as stock is closer to .145". I don't really recommend taking a stock unregulated valve beyond .15" though personally, as the stock TP can only be ported open that far while keeping enough meat on it to be healthy, and the stock velocity screw will be less effective at tuning to lower powers if you go far beyond .15" with custom tps, although some may not mind that...

-Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: uladz and pcponly