Crosman Marauder bolt repaired.

Many months ago, I short stroked the last pellet in my Marauder. So just like I was told, I hammered the mag out shearing the pellet. Unfortunately, I didn’t secure the bolt open and it slipped back closed (as much as it could) and I broke the pellet probe off. It looked like powder pressed metal but I digress, it was broke. A new bolt is impossible to find, Crosman doesn’t have them and neither does anyone else, obviously I guess…

So it’s been idol since. A buddy of mine was determined to fix the bolt but it wasn’t possible to chuck it in a lathe. He ended up securing it in a drill press vice and drilled out the hole then pressed a piece of wire in it. I’ve reinstalled it in the gun and when open it retracts enough to insert the magazine I’m certain it’s going to work fine. I’ll know when I get the new air gauge installed which sprung a leak when I degassed the gun. Hopefully it should be here this week.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Marauder Gen l and Gen ll bolts should be interchangeable, at least I have run a Gen l in my Gen ll so it should work the other way around.

Glad you're getting yours back in working order, hopefully shes back up and running soon.

-Matt
It’s a Gen 1 and Crosman tech said they were not interchangeable. Maybe he didn’t know what he was saying…

I ordered the gauge off Amazon and I think it’s on the slow boat from China…

• Haha
Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers

Thanks Ta Ta. I looked all over and never came up with this! Although, it’s been a year or more since this happened and I’m finally getting back to it.

Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
It’s a Gen 1 and Crosman tech said they were not interchangeable. Maybe he didn’t know what he was saying…

I ordered the gauge off Amazon and I think it’s on the slow boat from China…
They also don't know that the fill valve on the discovery rifle and Prod are the same. Same with the maximus and fortitude. They just see part numbers. Some have been superseded, but will still interchange.

You’re right but I don’t want a spare bolt for this gun. I’m very disappointed it broke so easily and even more disappointed their tech didn’t know what he was talking about. I won’t be buying another one…

The bolt for a Gen 1 and Gen 2 are different. The Gen 1 bolt can be installed with mods into a Gen 2 and people do this for improved air flow. I have a Gen 1 .25 bolt and it definitely is not the same as a Gen 2 bolt and I do not think the Gen 2 are backward compatible. The parts person you spoke with is correct, they are not the same part number.

The bolt is not powdered or sintered metal, it is a machined steel part. If you hammer on it hard enough, the pellet pusher can be broken or bent at the reduced section. Removing a stuck or jammed pellet with the magazine still in place can be a challenge but a hammer is never the answer.

There are parts on eBay as has been pointed out. If you want to repair your rifle that is the way to go. If you do not want to repair it then I am not sure what can be done, sell it off for parts maybe. Crosman at least answers the phone and sells parts to individuals direct. Their products are not junk and the people there have always been helpful to me. Go buy a China gun and see what happens, there is no one to call. The Gen 1 has been out of production now for, what, 9 years? You might also try the GTA forum, maybe somebody has a spare there. Also, Rich of Airgun Revisions might be able to point you in a direction to repair your rifle.

The bolt for a Gen 1 and Gen 2 are different. The Gen 1 bolt can be installed with mods into a Gen 2 and people do this for improved air flow. I have a Gen 1 .25 bolt and it definitely is not the same as a Gen 2 bolt and I do not think the Gen 2 are backward compatible. The parts person you spoke with is correct, they are not the same part number.

The bolt is not powdered or sintered metal, it is a machined steel part. If you hammer on it hard enough, the pellet pusher can be broken or bent at the reduced section. Removing a stuck or jammed pellet with the magazine still in place can be a challenge but a hammer is never the answer.

There are parts on eBay as has been pointed out. If you want to repair your rifle that is the way to go. If you do not want to repair it then I am not sure what can be done, sell it off for parts maybe. Crosman at least answers the phone and sells parts to individuals direct. Their products are not junk and the people there have always been helpful to me. Go buy a China gun and see what happens, there is no one to call. The Gen 1 has been out of production now for, what, 9 years? You might also try the GTA forum, maybe somebody has a spare there. Also, Rich of Airgun Revisions might be able to point you in a direction to repair your rifle.

You do not need to 'modify' the bolt to fit a Gen l into a Gen ll, it bolts right in, likewise a Gen ll will fit into a Gen l but it will NOT be able to swap from left to right...

-Matt

Reactions: 3Crows
You do not need to 'modify' the bolt to fit a Gen l into a Gen ll, it bolts right in, likewise a Gen ll will fit into a Gen l but it will NOT be able to swap from left to right...

-Matt

Thanks for the info, looking at them on my bench I agree, they should swap. But, the bolts are different and they are not the same part number. The OP can get the correct part number on eBay or other sources or purchase a Gen 2 bolt and give that a try. He says he does not want to do either so not sure of the point of the original post. I may have a spare .25 Gen 1 bolt, he did not say in the OP the caliber needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, looking at them on my bench I agree, they should swap. But, the bolts are different and they are not the same part number. The OP can get the correct part number on eBay or other sources or purchase a Gen 2 bolt and give that a try. He says he does not want to do either so not sure of the point of the original post. I may have a spare .25 Gen 1 bolt, he did not say in the OP the caliber needed.

Right, the ultimate point is not just for OP here but for all readers that the Gen ll bolt is accessible from Crossman and they can install them into their Gen l Marauders if need be.

The two key differences between bolt designs is the tip (interchangeable between two generations) and that the Gen ll was swappable from left to right, meaning the bolt could be installed from two directions and is mirrored, where as Gen l is not, and its breach will accept the Gen ll bolt in the originally intended direction only, and cannot be installed in reverse.

-Matt

I’m sorry, I don’t believe for a second the bolt is machined and or hardened steel. Looking at the break point it looks very rough, sandy and very light colored, almost white. Hammering the magazine was the only thing I found that anybody said would work. I used a small brass hammer and was tapping it. A .177 pellet is not very tough nor is the plastic magazine. The plastic magazine survived and works fine but the machined hardened bolt didn’t? Had I been thinking, and I obviously wasn’t, I would have taped the bolt open and we wouldn’t be having this conversation. :) Ultimately, it’s a flaw in the magazine design. The part that covers the hole after the last pellet is chambered should be solid so it can’t close unless the pellet is completely out of the magazine. End of problem, this would never happen again.

The bolt has been repaired, I said that in my op. Just waiting on a pressure gauge to shoot again. And you’re right, I was able to talk to someone at Crosman, and he spoke English. It just seems very odd they wouldn’t have some spare parts around for their premier (when it came out) pcp. On top of all this, the gun functioned with the pellet probe broken. I didn’t chronograph after it was broke to see it was losing velocity but it still shot ok. I decided to fix it after I degassed the gun and the pressure gauge “sprung“ a leak.

I’m wondering where the Ebay bolts are made. Did they come from Crosman or are they Chinese? Hopefully the repaired bolt stays repaired and I’ll never have to find out!

I said in my original post the bolt has been repaired and I have no need to purchase a new one. Waiting on an air gauge to shoot it again but the bolt is in the gun and should function fine. It’s a .177,