• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Maverick Tuning Help

You need to tune the Maverick for the maximum velocity you can achieve on number 7. After you do that the rest of the wheel should fall into place.
Then increase your reg pressure and continue to try to reach your velocity on the #7 position. If you are trying to adjust anywhere else but #7 you will not be able to get the gun settled down. Look for the FX Master Class video on YouTube where Ernest Rowe shows how to adjust the Maverick for maximum velocity.
I have a Maverick and could not achieve the velocities I was looking for. If you cannot get it with barrel length and reg pressure you may need to change the hammer spring and weight.
The hammer adjustment screw is very sensitive on the Maverick only adjust it a 1/4 turn at a time if you do it more it will be easy to get your tune way out of adjustment.
There is also a nylon insert that contacts the adjustment screw so it does not move. Make sure there is some resistance on the screw when you turn it because if there is not after repeated cycles the screw can move and change your adjustment.

Hope this helps.

I set the adjustment screw to 6mm to start. I watched Ernest tune and all seems straight forward till I try it.
6mm is max. Way way too much for 90 some bar on the reg. That is why you are getting the opposite effect with PW. If it were me I would turn the wheel to adjust. Take your Allen key and turn the internal screw clockwise until it stops. Back it out a little. Turn PW to 7 and shoot over chrono. Slowly work that internal screw back out counter clockwise until the speed no longer increases. That will be the max velocity you will be able to achieve at that reg pressure. If it’s what you want good to go. If not you will have to re adjust the reg and internal screw accordingly. Set like this your power wheel will work properly. This is how I do it. My personal preference. I don’t like setting the hammer pre load to max and then working downward to find the harmony. I like to start low and work up. Just remember to fire several shots over the chrono before making the next adjustment on the internal screw as it takes a few shots for everything to settle in to each new adjustment.

6mm is max. Way way too much for 90 some bar on the reg. That is why you are getting the opposite effect with PW. If it were me I would turn the wheel to adjust. Take your Allen key and turn the internal screw clockwise until it stops. Back it out a little. Turn PW to 7 and shoot over chrono. Slowly work that internal screw back out counter clockwise until the speed no longer increases. That will be the max velocity you will be able to achieve at that reg pressure. If it’s what you want good to go. If not you will have to re adjust the reg and internal screw accordingly. Set like this your power wheel will work properly. This is how I do it. My personal preference. I don’t like setting the hammer pre load to max and then working downward to find the harmony. I like to start low and work up. Just remember to fire several shots over the chrono before making the next adjustment on the internal screw as it takes a few shots for everything to settle in to each new adjustment.
Allow me to add, As an FYI and it doesn't really matter but one turn of the screw is 1 mm. It's best to take out the HSA measure the over all length, 19.3 mm is a good starting point, I think the OP's 90bar is way too low for that weight slug but maybe he's got the golden gun.

Reactions: Trucker3573
Allow me to add, As an FYI and it doesn't really matter but one turn of the screw is 1 mm. It's best to take out the HSA measure the over all length, 19.3 mm is a good starting point, I think the OP's 90bar is way too low for that weight slug but maybe he's got the golden gun.
Yeah I suspect you may be right for sure 👍

Reactions: HogKiller
Yeah I suspect you may be right for sure 👍
IF the OP is going backwards on the dial, then I'll bet the HSA is out about 21.5 to 22mm, just about when it can't be cocked if memory serves. If he's happy with the speed of the slugs, if they are the only ones he uses, leave it alone and don't worry about it. I've found that if you don't have the data to return to where you were and counting twists is a fools exercise, because you don't have hard data for then things go south to return to.

Reactions: Trucker3573
Agree with others. Not enough regulator pressure and you're smashing the hammer.

Try 130 / 110 on the regulators. Turn the micro most of the way in then back out until you find the top of the power curve. This is a good starting ballpark. Work reg pressure and hammer preset up in coordination until you achieve your goal.

I shoot 34 grain pellets around this setting with my .25, 700mm barrel and the stock FX hammer (the middle of the three sizes). You may need more pressure for the slugs.

Last edited:
Agree with others. Not enough regulator pressure and your smashing the hammer.

Try 130 / 110 on the regulators. Turn the micro most of the way in then back out until you . This is a good starting ballpark. Work reg pressure and hammer preset up in coordination until you achieve your goal.

I shoot 34 grain pellets around this setting. You may need more pressure for the slugs.
Mav .25, I'm at 150 and 135, AEA 33.9's at 940 with a 700mm barrel, 26gr RMR hybrids at 1040fps, I'd say you can turn the HSA in all the way then back out 2.5 turns, 2.5mm that's a good starting point, make 1/2 turn moves until it goes nuts, then back off 1/4 turns then start with little tiny movements to find the sweet spot.

Reactions: Reg Creep