Member legit?

With the issues, why doesn't someone setup an "Escrow/Transfer Service"? The seller sends the Rifle to the E/TS, and the seller sends the E/TS the funds. Once they meet up at the E/TS, they will send the rifle to the buyer and the money onto the seller.

Now what's a service like that worth? I would think it depends on the time required to complete and ship things. - $20 - $40????

Smitty

I suggested this some time ago, but I don't think administration here wants to be bothered by such services.

-Matt

I agreed, members should be required to post up their actual locations. Myself? I use my “real” name and you can see my location in my profile… Nothing hidden. I understand “handles” but location should be a “known” between AGN embers.
I don’t know that any of that should be required just to participate, but when you’re buying or selling and money and goods are changing hands, remaining anonymous shouldn’t be an option.

What might actually be a good solution would be to require participants of the classifieds to submit an extended membership application that includes their address and proof of identity. Something as simple as a selfie holding up their drivers license and the days date.

Last edited:
I don’t know that any of that should be required just to participate, but when you’re buying or selling and money and goods are changing hands, remaining anonymous shouldn’t be an option.

What might actually be a good solution would be to require participants of the classifieds to submit an extended membership application that includes their address and proof of identity. Something as simple as a selfie holding up their drivers license and the days date.

Hard disagree, its not hard to use fake or stolen identities...anonymity is one of the beautiful wonders the internet provides and should remain as such.

The only way to circumvent being scammed as a BUYER is using secured method of payment with buyer protection/recourse that can reverse the payment, unless local and cash.

The only way to circumvent being scammed as a SELLER is...hard cash and verifying its authenticity, every other form of payment is exploitable, every, single one, even waiting for funds to clear is not entirely full proof with money orders/checks.

So, in the shell of a nut, local meets with authenticated cash is the only full proof transaction for both parties, ideally at a safe trade location / police station, because...the world we live in.

-Matt

With the issues, why doesn't someone setup an "Escrow/Transfer Service"? The seller sends the Rifle to the E/TS, and the seller sends the E/TS the funds. Once they meet up at the E/TS, they will send the rifle to the buyer and the money onto the seller.

Now what's a service like that worth? I would think it depends on the time required to complete and ship things. - $20 - $40????

Smitty

We've talked about it but the liability is enormous and at least here where I live, a bond is required and an LLC has to be set up.

You would be forced to charge a huge fee to pay for operating expenses such as insurance and licenses.

Just another risk in life. All you can do is be as careful as you can or buy new from reputable vendors. Accounts being locked when associated with guns does happen. Was a couple of years ago on Tom Gresham’s (sp) Gun Talk show. I believe it was PayPal. The small business was only selling training and a few accessories. No firearms and PayPal locked their account for 6 months. Not only that PayPal refunded all the buyers unbeknownst to the business.

Reactions: Bandito