Mini compressor (good for 1L) okay for 1-time fillup of 6.8L tank?

I want to buy a 6.8L tank so we have plenty of air ready to go for a group of people to do target practice.
Can I get away with a cheaper mini compressor that says it good for tanks up to 1L if I watch the temperature and keep shutting it off. Maybe it'll take 10-20 iterations, and half a day, but once the tank is filled I will only need the mini compressor to top off the 6.8L tank.

Is my logic reasonable? Or, do I really need a more powerful compressor?

Thanks for the advice.
I guess the question comes down to... Do I need a water-cooled compressor to fill a 6.8L tank? I was trying to avoid that, but it's not a deal-breaker.
You don’t “NEED” a water cooled compressor to fill a 6.8L tank. It can definitely be done by shutting down and cooling off the smaller air cooled compressors…BUT…it will take a long time, and take a toll on the compressor.

I would advise a water cooled one (I went with the Air Venturi 4500 water cooled one at approx 1400 - now up to $1650) and have not looked back. Much quicker, no fuss, no problems in 2 1/2 years. Just change the oil regularly.

In theory, as long as you give the compressor time to cool between cycles it should work but you'll wear it our faster vs paying $20 for a compressed air fill. What's your plan for drying the compressed air? A 6.8L tank will end up with a lot of water in it if you don't use a system with a PMV and water drain. The sponge chambers that come with the cheap compressors barely work for top-offs but certainly not for large tank fills.

In theory, as long as you give the compressor time to cool between cycles it should work but you'll wear it our faster vs paying $20 for a compressed air fill. What's your plan for drying the compressed air? A 6.8L tank will end up with a lot of water in it if you don't use a system with a PMV and water drain. The sponge chambers that come with the cheap compressors barely work for top-offs but certainly not for large tank fills.
Yong heng as per YouTube reviews are being used to fill 80+cf bottles and some users are giving updates 3 years later

So I got my yong heng compressor a few days after my last post. Aside from needing a water pump this compressor is great. I own a 99ci bottle and a 700cc bottle. So after getting everything set up properly I emptied both of those bottles several times and refilled them back to back without a hitch. I did purchase the long brass filter off of Walmart.com but I feel it's unnecessary. I used the separator that came with it as my pre-filter to the brass and when I was finished it was hardly wet. What I did do was Crack the drains a few times during the fills to let out moisture.
All in all I'm very happy with my 210$ purchase so far

I was going to try a $70 filter off of Amazon.
I also decided to go with a 3L tank. Again, I really only need a full fill once. All other will be topping off. So, I'm going to try a cheaper compressor and just give it 30-60 minutes between cycles. Don't care if it takes me a day to fill the first time.
I have been following this and it seems to me that the op made up his mind before ever posting .

Reactions: Scotty1