Other MOA VS MRAD

I prefer mil for airguns simply because I have spent so much time with it and already instinctively know the holdovers needed for the pellets and speeds that I typically use, and these holdovers also typically happen to be fairly even numbers in mil. With my typical ~20/30yd 1st and 2nd zeros, 15yd/40yds are 0.5 mil holdover, 50yd is 1.0 mil, and 10yd/60yd is 2.0 mil. And that's about the max range I plan to shoot when hunting. With a FFP scope and mil reticle it's just too easy. And that's most of my hunting/pesting airguns shooting .22 , 16gn at 880-900fps. It all just fits nicely. With MOA the holdover numbers get a bit more messy and harder to remember.

However, MOA reticles do tend to offer higher division resolution than the mil reticles in the same scopes. Meaning they have more divisions in the same amount of space, so some people may like this. But that's really the only potential benefit that I see.

Reactions: Rizz01
Turret accuracy and repeatability are far more important to me than what language the turrets speak, as long as it’s the same language the reticle is using.

I’m not Ted, so I don’t use holdover much. I could go completely without any markings on the x-axis, but I need good info, whether in MOA or Mil, on the y-axis.

Dial for range, hold for wind.

Reactions: MongooseV8
@Dustin hope you got an answer cuz this thread is getting stoooopid......
Many threads get stupid as each participant is throwing in his own perception of the subject at hand. Also, here are some misconceptions and half-truths in the mix. If participants watched all three videos in this series some of that misconceptions could be avoided.

Scopes generally don’t use the rounded “military” milliradian. These days, MIL scopes use true milliradians. So let’s quit bringing the “military” milliradian into the argument.

As far as MIL vs MOA: To me, they are not metric or inch. They are both units of angle. Radians vs degrees. A MIL scope uses milliradians (1/1000 of a radian). An MOA scope uses minute of angle (1/60 of a degree). My calculator can work in degrees or radians. So I can work in either.

I prefer the finer increments of MOA these days, especially for my higher magnification scopes that I click. Up to 16x, I have no problem using SFP MIL-DOT reticles.

There is also the “shooter’s MOA”. That’s not an angle. It’s 1” change at 100yds. It’s close enough to the tangent of a true MOA so that many shooters use them interchangeably. Though that strategy won’t hold up for precision shooting.

For my FFP scopes, I always want matched turrets and reticles. For my holdover MIL-dot SFP scopes, I actually prefer having mismatched turrets and reticles. Shooter’s MOA turrets and MIL-dots make a good combination for that type of scope.
I’m curious. What benefit do you notice from having mismatch turrets and reticles? Up until a couple years ago mismatched scopes were all I knew and when finally got a scope that matched and learned how to use it, I loved it. It just makes things like a one shot zero so easy.