Umarex Mod potential of Notos?

Probably posted before but as a soon to be owner of the Notos, I had some questions because I just recently went down the airgun rabbithole.

I never knew one could modify these airguns, for example the Notos being 22cal but some people have been able to modify it with some 500mm barrel to allow for larger calibers like 25cal pellets?! An ar stock conversion attachment?! Adding a removable air bottle? ?

I saw in this video at 2:57 this man had a mini air tank to refill/top off his notos.

Im curious what can be done. For now I will be getting a bonestock air gun, I am getting a pcp handpump for it.

Until ive shot it enough, I may consider modding it but unsure the processes or what will be needed. So I hope as a novice I can learn and understand what to do for potential modding in the future.

I want to learn and saw someone mention somewhere that a user can help for a fee

I recently did a first impressions of my notos that I recently got. Many people commented on the types of mods I could do to it. You can check out that post here. The community here have been great at giving me mod advice. One thing I would highly recommend is after market mags, the factory ones are not good.
I got maple mags and I recommend them.

You do have virtually bolt-on options, meaning no drilling/machining required, and you have some mods that would require some careful use of tools like drills and grinding perhaps. YouTube can't show you the actual modification process due to some internal rules or the user will be banned, but they can talk about it. Like you say, shoot it for a while, get a feel for how you like the various aspects of it, then consider what you might want to change... i.e. more shot count so add a plenum? Or add the dropdown bottle for even more? Trigger work is common, it doesn't have a train wreck for a trigger, and it has 'some' adjustment, but you can definitely smooth that out with some work. Stocks are available, foregrips/guards, picatinny bolt-ons, etc... You're on your way down a long, but otherwise enjoyable road! 8^)

Reactions: EmersonWaved
"YouTube can't show you the actual modification process due to some internal rules or the user will be banned"

That's wild - is this for all airguns?
Its for anything revolving around scary black pew pews. Youtube is becoming MASSIVELY anti firearms, but hey, at least there is plenty of other innapropriate videos still on that they allow, surely it means they wont have any obvious biased views?

My sarcasm aside, I have a small youtube channel dedicated to huntung and my own little tinkering and such, just for fun. Im not afraid of em, because so far after 6 months I havent gotten any warning messages or anything.

You do have virtually bolt-on options, meaning no drilling/machining required, and you have some mods that would require some careful use of tools like drills and grinding perhaps. YouTube can't show you the actual modification process due to some internal rules or the user will be banned, but they can talk about it. Like you say, shoot it for a while, get a feel for how you like the various aspects of it, then consider what you might want to change... i.e. more shot count so add a plenum? Or add the dropdown bottle for even more? Trigger work is common, it doesn't have a train wreck for a trigger, and it has 'some' adjustment, but you can definitely smooth that out with some work. Stocks are available, foregrips/guards, picatinny bolt-ons, etc... You're on your way down a long, but otherwise enjoyable road! 8^)
I was gonna definitely polish out some of the contact points of the trigger group with some flitz and a q tip so it smoothens out. Its not my first rodeo but I prefer watching as someone does it as Ive learned some tips and tricks compared to how Id do it.

I supposed I dont need a bottle add on, as the slim profile is perfect! Id rather honestly look for a small buddy tank and some water filters/more silicone oil. That would be all I’d need honestly, definitely some good quality magazines too

I will have to consider a better suppressor option in the future, but apparently those need a lathe and cutting the stock one off thr barrel??

hehe.. yeah, it helps to see where the tricky springs are that tend to flip/disappear when you don't know they're there until they fly away... oops...

magazines... from what I've seen thus far across the forums, the Carm seem to get the best reviews (for the Notos). There are some 3D-printed holders that you can clip on your pic rail to hold spare mags too if you don't want them just lying around as you shoot.

moderator... yes, the one on the Notos has two metal rings set in grooves around the outside of the end of the barrel and the moderator is formed around that... so it doesn't screw off or unclip, etc... it's "permanent" as it were. I've see quite a few that have cut it away, some harsh and some were careful. If you consider the Deci-ball, that just requires you to remove the baffles inside, and you insert/secure the new piece (remove the two pins in the end). I've got one on order so I haven't actually tested it to see what the difference is, but I like the option of reversing that mod if I so choose. 8^)

I'm currently cutting off the modulator on mine, using a dremel. It is not for the faint of heart. I really wish they made it removable, but I'm sure there is some regulatory reason they didn't.
Is this so you can install one of those “plennum” kits?

Im assuming that is so it adds a bit more fps but also the ability to screw on a suppressor since the original one is more or less formed onto the barrel?

hehe.. yeah, it helps to see where the tricky springs are that tend to flip/disappear when you don't know they're there until they fly away... oops...

magazines... from what I've seen thus far across the forums, the Carm seem to get the best reviews (for the Notos). There are some 3D-printed holders that you can clip on your pic rail to hold spare mags too if you don't want them just lying around as you shoot.

moderator... yes, the one on the Notos has two metal rings set in grooves around the outside of the end of the barrel and the moderator is formed around that... so it doesn't screw off or unclip, etc... it's "permanent" as it were. I've see quite a few that have cut it away, some harsh and some were careful. If you consider the Deci-ball, that just requires you to remove the baffles inside, and you insert/secure the new piece (remove the two pins in the end). I've got one on order so I haven't actually tested it to see what the difference is, but I like the option of reversing that mod if I so choose. 8^)
Im assuming all you need to do it carefully cut then pry it off, so you can add a plenum kit…?

Thats what Im assuming that is for, Im still learning about the different modification methods for the notos.

Is this so you can install one of those “plennum” kits?

Im assuming that is so it adds a bit more fps but also the ability to screw on a suppressor since the original one is more or less formed onto the barrel?
Yeah, I'm installing the c88machining plenum kit. Already installed the plenum, but without the rest of the kit installed the bottle will hit the stock modulator. I'll likely write up a little something about it on the same thread I wrote about the notos once I am finished.

There are lots of neat options to upgrade a Notos. In particular I think the plenum and aftermarket mags are worth buying.

But take the advice of myself and many others, dont go too crazy spending lots of money upgrading a budget pcp. Its really easy to spend more on mods than it would cost to buy a top tier pcp in the first place. I built a really cool Air Venturi Avenger that has a super high shot count and high fps etc, but could have bought an FX. And I did just that. So I suggest you enjoy the learning curve of a budget pcp, but try to keep the upgrade spending to a reasonable level. ;)

There are lots of neat options to upgrade a Notos. In particular I think the plenum and aftermarket mags are worth buying.

But take the advice of myself and many others, dont go too crazy spending lots of money upgrading a budget pcp. Its really easy to spend more on mods than it would cost to buy a top tier pcp in the first place. I built a really cool Air Venturi Avenger that has a super high shot count and high fps etc, but could have bought an FX. And I did just that. So I suggest you enjoy the learning curve of a budget pcp, but try to keep the upgrade spending to a reasonable level. ;)

Money comes money goes, its often the journey and experience gained that is valued more than the few bucks you spend modding budget pcps.

I have over 1k into my marauder, would I do it over any different, nope. Your view is yours but its obstructed by money trees imo. No one should spend more on any hobby than they can afford, beyond that, have at it and go bananas on your 300$ pcp...make it yours, tailor it as you see fit till you're content. Not everything has to be so vanilla.

I'd much rather have my highly customized one of a kind airgun than a carbon copy fx that has a much broader and pricier aftermarket...you would have to PRY these mods out of my dead hands before I return the gun to stock even for 2k..

-Matt

Reactions: MongooseV8
Money comes money goes, its often the journey and experience gained that is valued more than the few bucks you spend modding budget pcps.

I have over 1k into my marauder, would I do it over any different, nope. Your view is yours but its obstructed by money trees imo. No one should spend more on any hobby than they can afford, beyond that, have at it and go bananas on your 300$ pcp...make it yours, tailor it as you see fit till you're content. Not everything has to be so vanilla.

I'd much rather have my highly customized one of a kind airgun than a carbon copy fx that has a much broader and pricier aftermarket...you would have to PRY these mods out of my dead hands before I return the gun to stock even for 2k..

-Matt
Yeah I hear you. I enjoy tinkering a lot too, thats why I like these kinds of hobbies so much. But Im not really talking about modifying a mid priced pcp a little like so many people do with the MRod and PRod. Thats a nice platform that does a decent job of retaining value when upgrading. And lets be honest a nice MRod is always going to be much prettier than anything plastic or aluminum lol. And I think most people would agree, spending a few hundred in upgrades on a pcp that cost several hundred new is very reasonable.

But my previous point is more directed at the lowest end pcps that are possible to spend 5x on to end up with a mediocre performer. Im like $1200 into my Avenger and it was a $300 pcp new. And as cool as it is, there is no comparing it to an FX Wildcat, or Dreamline, or Crown, or Daystate, Air Arms etc. And when I can stomach selling it I will get hosed on the loss. I ended up with a really expensive kinda good kinda crummy pcp instead of something nicer to begin with. I wish I did that with an MRod now that you bring it up. That is something I would keep long term, and something that does much better with mods compared to the plastic pcps. A Notos will never be a classy Benji pcp, no matter how much you spend on it. I am not suggesting you shouldnt do any mods to a Notos, just a word of warning how quickly you can be upside down.

I agree money comes and goes, and there is valuable experience in something like modding a Notos. But there is also the hard reality of better value per dollar spent, regardless what that amount may be. I ended up spending many thousands on pcps, much of which I would change if I could go back. And that is a very common sentiment in the air gun community. None of my setups are vanilla, they all have lots of mods and upgrades. But there is a smart way to do a thing and a foolish way to do a thing. Now I have like 15 pcps that I will never use, and will take a loss on each when I sell them. The Fool never learns, Smart men learn from their mistakes, and Wise men learn from the mistakes of others. 😎👍

Reactions: daddypaddy
I kept my Notos to loan out to get people into the hobby, and for plinking with family. The one big drawback is the he trigger, it can be made better, but don’t expect a lot. It’s a good utility rifle, but I wouldn’t go crazy. I’d suggest working out the rough edges (pun intended) first if you want to do stuff. Get some fine files, sand paper, polish. That will occupy a lot of time. It also helps you learn the rifle inside and out. Get all the burrs and sharp tool marks removed. It will make a noticeable difference in the rifle. I do it eventually with all my Snowpeak rifles.
If you have eyes on a specific rifle and you want to make your Notos into that, I’d caution that endeavor. @Firewalker has done amazing things with his and he is very skilled.
#1 enjoy the rifle before you do anything

Reactions: MongooseV8
Yeah I hear you. I enjoy tinkering a lot too, thats why I like these kinds of hobbies so much. But Im not really talking about modifying a mid priced pcp a little like so many people do with the MRod and PRod. Thats a nice platform that does a decent job of retaining value when upgrading. And lets be honest a nice MRod is always going to be much prettier than anything plastic or aluminum lol. And I think most people would agree, spending a few hundred in upgrades on a pcp that cost several hundred new is very reasonable.

But my previous point is more directed at the lowest end pcps that are possible to spend 5x on to end up with a mediocre performer. Im like $1200 into my Avenger and it was a $300 pcp new. And as cool as it is, there is no comparing it to an FX Wildcat, or Dreamline, or Crown, or Daystate, Air Arms etc. And when I can stomach selling it I will get hosed on the loss. I ended up with a really expensive kinda good kinda crummy pcp instead of something nicer to begin with. I wish I did that with an MRod now that you bring it up. That is something I would keep long term, and something that does much better with mods compared to the plastic pcps. A Notos will never be a classy Benji pcp, no matter how much you spend on it. I am not suggesting you shouldnt do any mods to a Notos, just a word of warning how quickly you can be upside down.

I agree money comes and goes, and there is valuable experience in something like modding a Notos. But there is also the hard reality of better value per dollar spent, regardless what that amount may be. I ended up spending many thousands on pcps, much of which I would change if I could go back. And that is a very common sentiment in the air gun community. None of my setups are vanilla, they all have lots of mods and upgrades. But there is a smart way to do a thing and a foolish way to do a thing. Now I have like 15 pcps that I will never use, and will take a loss on each when I sell them. The Fool never learns, Smart men learn from their mistakes, and Wise men learn from the mistakes of others. 😎👍
i came into this hobby knowing full well how i may end up with many airguns that i may end up upgrading and not wanting to sell because i’ve invested too much money and time into them. luckily, i have only three and seem to be doing well keeping it at that count.. 8 fpe 1322, 16-27fpe notos, and a .25cal huben k1. the fpe range seems reasonable for me to base my gun collection on.

Of course, I’d just like to see how well I can make it work for me. And make it operate as best as possible

Will probably get something better than it in the future so Im managing a budget

Of course, I’d just like to see how well I can make it work for me. And make it operate as best as possible

Will probably get something better than it in the future so Im managing a budget
Sounds like a good strategy. Im sure you have seen BuckRail's parts for the Notos, but in case you havent:

I respect your opinion/experience, just know not all will feel the same as an outcome when / if traveling a similar path. I think the notos is a great platform to go balls to the walls on, especially if you're financially able. I'd hate to deter someone from an opportunity in gaining experience resulting in an exceptionally performing carbine. If at the end of that journey they aren't satisfied with the results from their time or money spent, that is subjective to them.

If the gun has a lot of plastic parts its a good opportunity to upgrade those if you deem fit, even if its akin to polishing a turd.

I tricked out one of my two marauders, while the second one remains near stock, made with mostly parts left over from modding my first. I still have the modding bug for the one that is tricked out, but the mostly stock one will stay that way with a minimalist approach. It helps hone and maintain the discipline I have for personal restraint. I personally don't want a large pcp collection because of the lack of time/interest for shooting/maintaining them all, even though I am financially able and often interested in some. I don't expect everyone though to live as simply as myself though, as they may have more time/interest in being a collector or trying out every new thing that comes to market.

In a nutshell, I'd rather be supportive of partaking in heavily modifying any airgun if its their will rather than opposing it. Many years ago it was 'pointless to regulate a .25 cal marauder' due to many reasons, shot count, power limitations, you name it...well....look how much times have changed ya? Many may think now, its pointless to heavily modify a marauder, notos, a disco, but frankly if the gun has any value even as is, its worth potentially modifying to make even better, else, it belongs either in the trash or with another man who treasures your 'trash'. Just my 2c.

-Matt

I respect your opinion/experience, just know not all will feel the same as an outcome when / if traveling a similar path. I think the notos is a great platform to go balls to the walls on, especially if you're financially able. I'd hate to deter someone from an opportunity in gaining experience resulting in an exceptionally performing carbine. If at the end of that journey they aren't satisfied with the results from their time or money spent, that is subjective to them.

If the gun has a lot of plastic parts its a good opportunity to upgrade those if you deem fit, even if its akin to polishing a turd.

I tricked out one of my two marauders, while the second one remains near stock, made with mostly parts left over from modding my first. I still have the modding bug for the one that is tricked out, but the mostly stock one will stay that way with a minimalist approach. It helps hone and maintain the discipline I have for personal restraint. I personally don't want a large pcp collection because of the lack of time/interest for shooting/maintaining them all, even though I am financially able and often interested in some. I don't expect everyone though to live as simply as myself though, as they may have more time/interest in being a collector or trying out every new thing that comes to market.

In a nutshell, I'd rather be supportive of partaking in heavily modifying any airgun if its their will rather than opposing it. Many years ago it was 'pointless to regulate a .25 cal marauder' due to many reasons, shot count, power limitations, you name it...well....look how much times have changed ya? Many may think now, its pointless to heavily modify a marauder, notos, a disco, but frankly if the gun has any value even as is, its worth potentially modifying to make even better, else, it belongs either in the trash or with another man who treasures your 'trash'. Just my 2c.

-Matt
well said brother!