• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Moderators and Accuracy?

I don't have any PCP moderators, really don't need them where I live, and my Taipan Veteran Compact, I feel is quiet enough (though even quieter may help for my hunting). I am curious as to whether adding a moderator on your PCP's has resulted in an increase in accuracy, or Not?

I've got three different suppressors for my .22 rimfire rifles. I've shot them with and without, there is no consistent clear advantage/disadvantage accuracy wise. Some guns/loads may shoot a barely measurable bit better or worse, no one gun or suppressor makes a significant improvement. Overall I would say they tend to shoot a little better suppressed... and I assume this is probably due to the weight of the suppressor affecting the barrel harmonics. Just to be clear there is a definite change in point of impact due to the suppressor weight (mine run 5, 8 & 9 ounces)... a larger change in POI on lighter barrels (of course).

But I wonder about PCP's... Since we're talking about a blast of air coming out the barrel, a much lighter projectile, and it seems the pellet skirt may be more susceptible to any air turbulence than a solid base.

So, those that have added a moderator on their PCP's, have you had a noticeable increase in accuracy? Or Not

Thanks,

Jerry

Reactions: Echo
Typically you have to test. Its just having weight at the end of your barrel and how much that each guns likes or doesnt. Most of my guns appreciate the added weight and the accuracy is increased substantially. If you wanted to just fashion a weight that you can slide and make different weights from, that would accomplish the same thing. I find my 3d printed mods aren't enough weight vs aluminum ones. I have ideas in mind for that in the future.

They work great.
Get one while you still can.
Matt,

I feel it unlikely that airgun suppressors will be outlawed, as they do not fall under the realm of the NFA, nor the BATFE. Local jurisdictions may be another matter.

Also, most would probably be catastrophically destroyed if used on even a rimfire gun due to their construction.

However, I'm also aware that one should never be too confident of what the anti crowd will stop at... When people tell me that they just want reasonable gun control laws, I tell them that Bloomberg, the major funder of gun control groups in the U.S., also funds groups that want U.S. states to have knife laws similar to the U.K., which is just insane IMO.

Jerry

mods dont seem to have much effect, but the guns i have them on do shoot well .. a dedicated air stripper did make my marauder more consistent, not huge, but noticeable ->

20240531_153022.jpg

mods dont seem to have much effect, but the guns i have them on do shoot well .. a dedicated air stripper did make my marauder more consistent, not huge, but noticeable ->
So the term "Air Stripper" is something that I have never heard of when it comes to rimfire or centerfire suppressors, and it is the basis for my question regarding moderators and airgun accuracy. As it does not matter whether it is a powder burner or an airgun... once the projectile has reached the end of the barrel - it has reached it's maximum velocity. It seems that stripping air or diverting the air from the base or near the base of the pellet/slug immediately upon exiting the bore - would reduce the potential for turbulence to cause the pellet/slug to err in it's flight?

Jerry

I never noticed a difference in accuracy with various Donny, Buckrail and Lethal Air donkey shlongs.

I have noticed the POI can change a little, which is strange and I don't think it's due to the weight (because I have barrel bands and other reasons). But a couple clicks on the scope and it's just as accurate.

What I also notice is I feel I am doing the "right thing" for my neighbors, even though they are a decent distance away, and they shoot 30-06 and ARs whenever they please.

And around here we have nice ladies in traditional plain dresses walking around on the road and horse buggies, etc. I prefer not to harsh their vibe in any way, because they only give me positive vibes.

Reactions: jerryd