More damn Bullfrogs...nasty things

I don't know man, one looks like it has a fungus!View attachment 484188
It's just a little frog fungus. No biggie.

Would you eat an elk with dandruff?

They really are delicious. I wouldn't eat a sick one for sure. But I've eaten them for about 63 years and enjoyed every one.

Anything you can do with chicken wings you can do with froglegs. They are easy to clean and cook. Not fishy at all. More like crab meat or clams. With a rubber chicken texture if that makes sense.

Set some crawdad traps while you shoot a mess of frogs. It's like a desert seafood platter.

I don't know if it's legal there but those blown up frogs are top notch catfish bait. And a little live one on a hook will catch a dozen big bass or walleye and still be frisky when your tired of fishing. So I like those noisy rascals a lot.

Last edited:
It's just a little frog fungus. No biggie.

Would you eat an elk with dandruff?

They really are delicious. I wouldn't eat a sick one for sure. But I've eaten them for about 63 years and enjoyed every one.

Anything you can do with chicken wings you can do with froglegs. They are easy to clean and cook. Not fishy at all. More like crab meat or clams. With a chicken texture.

Set some crawdad traps while you shoot a mess of frogs. It's like a desert seafood platter.
I'll stick to my Rock Squirrels and Rabbits lol

I'll stick to my Rock Squirrels and Rabbits lol
Oh man give me a frogleg any day!

We've already discussed my feelings about rodents in a savory tick sauce. That's just sketchy to me. But I guess it's all about the individual.

We need to get together for a pellet potluck. Everyone bring a favorite rodent, reptile or amphibian dish. Maybe Dr Kralenstein can bring some mouse kabobs?

Last edited:
.22 would be my caliber of choice but .177 I’m sure would get it done
I use a 6 foot spear or fishing bow. So getting close is no problem. At night with a flashlight you can just grab them with your hands.

Any air rifle is plenty. Getting the perfect shot is hard if you want to retrieve them. But any airgun at all is enough to kill them.

They jump when a projectile goes through them. So you loose a lot of frogs when you shoot them at the waters edge with a rimfire. They just leap forward and sink. That's why I stopped shooting them. But if recovery is not important then anything you've got can work. Even a Co2 BB pistol with a half tank of gas.

I use a 6 foot spear or fishing bow. So getting close is no problem. At night with a flashlight you can just grab them with your hands.

Any air rifle is plenty. Getting the perfect shot is hard if you want to retrieve them. But any airgun at all is enough to kill them.

They jump when a projectile goes through them. So you loose a lot of frogs when you shoot them at the waters edge with a rimfire. They just leap forward and sink. That's why I stopped shooting them. But if recovery is not important then anything you've got can work. Even a Co2 BB pistol with a half tank of gas.
Even with a .30 cal they jump?

Even with a .30 cal they jump?
I would imagine. You can hit them with CCI mini mags right between the eyes and more than half will jump. So yeah, some would jump if you shoot them with a .30 airgun.

Maybe not. I don't know. I just shoot arrows into them and get them all. I like the Hawaiian sling too because most are up under bushes and branches and holes in the bank that make any shot with a bow or a rifle difficult.

If you wanted to use a 30 airgun I'm sure that would work great for the ones you could target. If too many sank then you could re evaluate and adapt accordingly. After all you can get all you want to eat with a flashlight and a sharp stick. So do both and never have to decide which is more fun.

Last edited:
Appears to be something growing on skin strange in that dry environment....
It's actually a serious problem. They carry this fungus but it can wipe out other amphibians like other frogs, salamanders, etc.

Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis is the chytridiomycete fungus which has been implicated in global amphibian declines and numerous species extinctions. Here, we show that introduced North American bullfrogs (Rana catesbeiana) consistently carry this emerging pathogenic fungus.

Oh man give me a frogleg any day!

We've already discussed my feelings about rodents in a savory tick sauce. That's just sketchy to me. But I guess it's all about the individual.

We need to get together for a pellet potluck. Everyone bring a favorite rodent, reptile or amphibian dish. Maybe Dr Kralenstein can bring some mouse kabobs?
Omg, I can imagine the smorgasbord of vermin and nasty stuff lol

• Haha
Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I ate beans and monkey for weeks in South America. Boiled in a pot with water I was afraid to wash my feet in. Nothing could be as repulsive as some of those meals.

I stopped chewing. Just wash a mouthfull down quick with tadpole tasting water and try to get enough calories down your neck before your Adam's apple refused to swallow again.

A nicely done frog or rat might not be too awful.

Hey Zeke, do you ever shoot them from a boat?

I hunt them from a boat with a fishing bow. Looking at the bank from the water you can see a bunch of them in and at the edge of the water. Lots of big yellow carp and the occasional game fish too. It's a great big hoot and the bow is super effective for fish and frogs.

I'm anxious to try some shots from the boat. It would be a difficult platform for a rested gun. You'd need calm water to make good shots. Even then it might be tricky. But I bet a PCP on the bow would be big fun.

I hit them pretty good with a bow standing up in the boat. Even sitting in a kayak. So I'm thinking I could pull it off with a rifle. I'm going to see how I hit on bottles floating. Then troll slowly along the bank at about 15 yards and see how often I can snap one.

I'm going to take a beat up Hatsan at first. If it's a success I'd like to try a scoped rifle from a rest on the bow. A shooting platform in the water could give a guy a BUNCH of shots. It could really be a party.

Reactions: ZekeZX10
Do you eat mushrooms? Lol
You sound like a fungi to hang around with Jace…..

But….

About 75% of the world’s mushrooms are inedible…. With about 20% that will make you sick.

Only about 5% are considered choice edibles.

Now, I love chanterelles and boleetes and a couple other wild mushrooms…. but I’m always a bit dubious of them as well. I’ve eaten quite a few frogs, but I wouldn’t touch one of those skanky bullfrogs!

Hey Zeke, do you ever shoot them from a boat?

I hunt them from a boat with a fishing bow. Looking at the bank from the water you can see a bunch of them in and at the edge of the water. Lots of big yellow carp and the occasional game fish too. It's a great big hoot and the bow is super effective for fish and frogs.

I'm anxious to try some shots from the boat. It would be a difficult platform for a rested gun. You'd need calm water to make good shots. Even then it might be tricky. But I bet a PCP on the bow would be big fun.

I hit them pretty good with a bow standing up in the boat. Even sitting in a kayak. So I'm thinking I could pull it off with a rifle. I'm going to see how I hit on bottles floating. Then troll slowly along the bank at about 15 yards and see how often I can snap one.

I'm going to take a beat up Hatsan at first. If it's a success I'd like to try a scoped rifle from a rest on the bow. A shooting platform in the water could give a guy a BUNCH of shots. It could really be a party.
I haven't. I used to shoot carp back in Wisconsin with a bow from a boat :)

Reactions: Bedrock Bob