• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Most Accurate Moderator

Mostly how to get one in .25 and .30. Size and specs and if they've been compared to any of the more common moderators with regards to sound suppression.
Ok, I am not making them for sale at this time.

Generally they compare well with the quieter common moderators.

The reason the one AirGunShooter mentioned (if I am correct about which one) is more accurate is because the baffles in it are acting like an air stripper. Some designs are inherently "air strippers" and some not so much. It you take a "hair curler in a tube" approach in your design, it won't be acting like a stripper. If you actually build baffles and place them in the right place, they strip the turbulence from the pellet. You can do this deliberately by building a stripper right into the moderator. I've had a couple that accidentally turned out to improve accuracy on AirGunShooter & his brother's guns this year. I am beginning to understand why and have taken steps to incorporate that "feature" into the designs I am working on. They are not ready for prime time.

I did sell a handful of moderators this fall. I stopped selling them when the DonnyFL debacle kicked off. I resolved to wait for the outcome of that action before going into production. At this time I plan on going into production in late Janurary, whether or not that is resolved.

If you want advice on a good moderator, there is nobody in the business who has a better name than Huggett and/or Weirauch. DonnyFL builds excellent moderators as well but you will need to get one of those used as he is not producing them right now.

There is no substitute for simple volume when it comes to big bore/high power moderators. I've heard good about STO moderators but never tested one. I wish I could give you more but that's about what I've got.

~Mike

Ok, I am not making them for sale at this time.

Generally they compare well with the quieter common moderators.

The reason the one AirGunShooter mentioned (if I am correct about which one) is more accurate is because the baffles in it are acting like an air stripper. Some designs are inherently "air strippers" and some not so much. It you take a "hair curler in a tube" approach in your design, it won't be acting like a stripper. If you actually build baffles and place them in the right place, they strip the turbulence from the pellet. You can do this deliberately by building a stripper right into the moderator. I've had a couple that accidentally turned out to improve accuracy on AirGunShooter & his brother's guns this year. I am beginning to understand why and have taken steps to incorporate that "feature" into the designs I am working on. They are not ready for prime time.

I did sell a handful of moderators this fall. I stopped selling them when the DonnyFL debacle kicked off. I resolved to wait for the outcome of that action before going into production. At this time I plan on going into production in late Janurary, whether or not that is resolved.

If you want advice on a good moderator, there is nobody in the business who has a better name than Huggett and/or Weirauch. DonnyFL builds excellent moderators as well but you will need to get one of those used as he is not producing them right now.

There is no substitute for simple volume when it comes to big bore/high power moderators. I've heard good about STO moderators but never tested one. I wish I could give you more but that's about what I've got.

~Mike
Thanks Mike. Super helpful. I'll keep an eye out in late January if production plans are back up and running.

Reactions: Perle
OldSpook has it right.
Huggett, Weirauch are among the good ones, IMO.
OldSpook also made a set of baffles to replace the 'curler' style baffles in one of my Huggett's. This has worked well for me; low report and accuracy remained the same. This at a 925ish FPS .22 caliber, 25.4 FX pellet, 700mm M3.
Using a phone app (not the best, but for some sort of reference at least) OldSpook's baffles were on par, slightly better, than the original Huggett innards. as far as noise was concerned.
I also owned an STO Falx, which was quiet on a .22 caliber Crown. I ended up selling the Crown and all of the accessories, but the Falx is also an excellent pick. They are available with specific air usage criteria by using a calculator to determine your particular usage.
All my opinion of course, but you asked!
Mike

Reactions: tywynn
One mod which has proven to give me issue on about 50% of airguns tested is the DonnyFL Koi. Don't know why but it's really thrown off a few airguns.
Ones which have been quite accurate for me are the STO Falx (for me more effective on unshrouded rather than shrouded), the Huma Mod 30, the Hugget Atom (great on lower power guns especially with some kind of shroud), the new EdGun Behemoth.
I've got one (Koi) on my 500mm Maverick .22, no issues at all, 117bar, 970fps, ditto for the Impulse with 6 pieces, but it is 'louder/sharper' than the Koi, also no POI changes from one to the other.

I’m not sure you can base the “accuracy” of one specific moderator over another from gun to gun. I believe each gun will respond to an internal design, volume, size, length and weight differently.

Personally I’ve had really good luck with Huma, the volume, weight and length can be changed by adding or subtracting sections for each Mod. Giving you a broad range for finding harmonics you’re specific barrel likes.

Reactions: Perle
OldSpook has it right.
Huggett, Weirauch are among the good ones, IMO.
OldSpook also made a set of baffles to replace the 'curler' style baffles in one of my Huggett's. This has worked well for me; low report and accuracy remained the same. This at a 925ish FPS .22 caliber, 25.4 FX pellet, 700mm M3.
Using a phone app (not the best, but for some sort of reference at least) OldSpook's baffles were on par, slightly better, than the original Huggett innards. as far as noise was concerned.
I also owned an STO Falx, which was quiet on a .22 caliber Crown. I ended up selling the Crown and all of the accessories, but the Falx is also an excellent pick. They are available with specific air usage criteria by using a calculator to determine your particular usage.
All my opinion of course, but you asked!
Mike
I don't remember what design I went with on those baffles but if they were "K" baffles with a mesh baffle at one end you should move the mesh baffle one "K" baffle towards the muzzle to improve the air stripper effect. That might improve accuracy a bit. So from the muzzle of the rifle to the end of the shroud you would have one K baffle then the mesh baffle then the rest of the K baffles.

OldSpook

We tried the 'K' baffles (and double 'K' baffles) and you came up with another idea to fuse all of the 'K's together, filling the interior one end to the other, no mesh baffles (your first attempt was using the mesh baffles). This single piece baffle is still working well after about 6 months and perhaps a thousand shots.
Thank you for that!

mike

Reactions: OldSpook
One mod which has proven to give me issue on about 50% of airguns tested is the DonnyFL Koi. Don't know why but it's really thrown off a few airguns.
Ones which have been quite accurate for me are the STO Falx (for me more effective on unshrouded rather than shrouded), the Huma Mod 30, the Hugget Atom (great on lower power guns especially with some kind of shroud), the new EdGun Behemoth.
Did you have any clipping on your behemoth moderator? I was using .7.62 size behemoth and it was clipping on my .25 caliber. I was really disappointed in that as well is the not so good sound suppression.

I will never claim to be as savvy as many others here on site, but I've never tested for accuracy without my moderators. I own some Donny' mods and a couple lower cost offerings and achieve great accuracy with them mounted... yet never re-shot the rifles without to see if there's a difference.
At the range yesterday, I was experimenting with different moderators and slugs on my .22 cal M3. Just for giggles, I removed the mod to see if it shot better. NOT! While the POI changed, the group size expanded quite a bit. I assume the weight of the mod dampens the barrel vibration to some extent. I also tried different mods: Donny FX, Donny Tatsu, and the standard empty FX. Not too much difference even though all these mods had different exit hole sizes. I settled on the Tatsu 25/30 cal version.