N/A Multishot springers - what to go for?

Evening all,
I recently went shooting with a friend for the first time and had such a blast (no pun intended). I've been looking into getting myself an air rifle, and am keen to go for a springer, as I've been told this is the best place to start, but I am quite intrigued by the multishot system that quite a few manufacturers offer (Gamo, Milbro, Crosman). I'm interested to hear any thoughts on what these are like, and how they compare to normal single shot springers. Any advice? Cheers!

I just prefer the old fashioned cock load shoot repeat ones .. I figure the less stuff to cause issue or get broken the better for me ..lol.

Now gamo you'd want the latest auto loader over the older ones . Especially the first gen that was sticking high up and needed skyscraper scope mounts to see over it .. the latest gen 3i ( I think ) is updated loading process that reduces pellet damage when loading one up and it's nice low profile. Some even have open sights ( I always recommend a model with them over ones that don't ) . I notice guys that had issues with the auto loaded on gamos gamo syeped up and helped with returns or parts . ( And for gamo that's big .. real big sending the part for self fixing ). Also I think in gamo stick with a gun with there 5 year warranty over the lesser 3 or 1 year guns .

Crosman or hatsan I don't really see much on them. In forums .. so can't comment on them .

Seeing you listed milbro I assume your overseas not USA so that's another thing on any after buy rma or satisfaction if a issue pops up ..

Gamo USA as far as warrantee I used once on a new gun went great and quick turnaround..

I have no first hand knowledge of any multi-shot spring guns. But having been on this forum awhile, I can recall little or no discussion about them. I have owned Gamo and Crosman spring guns, and it was not a good experience in terms of consistent accuracy. They were powerful, but that is not useful to me without accuracy. The Weihrauch and Air Arms spring guns, however, are built quite well and can be very accurate. Both manufacturers only offer single shot designs. For someone considering a first spring gun, I'd suggest a Weihrauch hw30s in .177. Very accurate and it will give you a lifetime of shooting fun. Hopefully, others with first-hand experience on the multi shot guns can offer their insights.
R

Reactions: wgd and maxtrouble
I would like to chime in. First, do not listen to the Gamo haters. Of course, cheap, old stuff does not shoot good. I have several high and medium springers, as well as Gamo. Gamo has gas pistons. Each has its own merits. I like the multi shot capability. I recommend the Gamo Swarm Fusion in either Gen 2 or Gen 3. Gen 2 has iron sights, Gen 3 does not. With either, get rid of Gen 2 magazine and get several Gen 3 magazines. I have four. I have not had a single problem in thousands of shots. A .177 has lower trajectory, and .22 hits harder. The most important thing is to get a $100+ scope with adjustable objective. If you want to get to the finish like the fastest, go to Midway and get three tins of JSB 8.4 in three different diameters and H & N Field Target Trophy in the three different diameters. Get a decent bag for front and rear and experiment with different hold. My prediction is you will get a tack driver that shoots quietly and reloads rapidly. If you are not willing or able to spend this amount of time and money, you might lose interest. A PCP might be a better option for you.

Reactions: BABz58
"First, do not listen to the Gamo haters"

Not hate, just objective feedback based on having owned both a Gamo spring gun as well as several Weihrauch/AA spring guns. My assessment of the comparison is not uncommon. To be fair, when you consider price, the Gamo compares move favorably because they are considerably less expensive, and their accuracy was passable in my view. It is also worth noting that you seem to have had zero problems with Gamo's multi-shot design. Fair enough.
R

My own experience with a Gamo Magnum Swarm Gen3 was bad. It produced inconsistent velocities with variations of around 150 fps. It took me about 500 pellets and three magazines to finally ascertain that it was somehow clipping pellets as it loaded and the order that they were loaded in the magazine largely determined the velocity loss. The last pellet in the magazine was always the worst, but the first wasn't the best. All three magazines did it, but not to the same extent. Once I removed the entire swarm mechanism and just started single loading pellets not only did the velocities become consistent, but they improved about 25 fps from the previous highs. IMO, It's a POS system and one that's also likely to result in accidental dry firing.

I've had no experience with the Crosman system, but the reviews of it that I have read were poor.

Everyone seems to like the Theobens, but those cost an arm and a leg back in the day and have only gone up in value since.

One thing I have noticed about magazine fed guns in general is that they're not really any faster at all to shoot than a single shot break barrel if you're shooting dozens of pellets at a time and don't care about getting a fast follow up shot. Sure, you'll be able to just cock and shoot with a repeater and that will speed you up a few seconds when it comes to getting a second shot, but when the magazine is empty then you have to remove the mag, reload it and reinsert it and that all takes more time than just feeding the pellets one at a time as you go. I actually think that single shot break barrels are some of the fastest loading guns there are once you factor in the time not spent loading magazines.

For hunting purposes a quick follow up shot is always good... as long as you don't pay for it with accuracy and reliability.

I don't own a multi shot rifle but a friend who I shoot with does. It is a Gamo rifle (what model I don't know). He loves it. He swears by it. He often wants to "swap rifles for a few shots" so I can experience the wonder of his repeating rifle.

In my opinion is glitchy cocking, not very accurate and has a pretty awful trigger. The scope is an abomination. You could probably work on the rifle and make it better. But out of the box there is not much about it that I like.

He dosent like my HW95 in walnut. It feels "small and underpowered" to him. He says he does not see any difference in accuracy and it's "too fancy".

I try very hard not to break his heart with the facts. He's a sensitive guy.

His repeating rifle suits him fine. He is very happy with it and that is great. I'm happy I don't have one. So it works out perfectly.

Last edited:
For hunting purposes a quick follow up shot is always good... as long as you don't pay for it with accuracy and reliability.

I don't own a multi shot rifle but a friend who I shoot with does. It is a Gamo rifle (what model I don't know). He loves it. He swears by it. He often wants to "swap rifles for a few shots" so I can experience the wonder of his repeating rifle.

In my opinion is glitchy cocking, not very accurate and has a pretty awful trigger. The scope is an abomination. You could probably work on the rifle and make it better. But out of the box there is not much about it that I like.

He dosent like my HW95 in walnut. It feels "small and underpowered" to him. He says he does not see any difference in accuracy and it's "too fancy".

I try very hard not to break his heart with the facts. He's a sensitive guy.

His repeating rifle suits him fine. He is very happy with it and that is great. I'm happy I don't have one. So it works out perfectly.
I've still got my Gamo Magnum Swarm and for the price I don't feel it's a bad rifle. It's not even remotely on the same level as an HW95 however. The trigger on a Gamo can be made to be halfway decent by just swapping out an adjustment screw. For a break-barrel it's extremely powerful, it's lightweight and it's nowhere near as hold sensitive as it should be considering how light and powerful it is. It's also quite cheap. Mine was $300 with the scope and if you get it without the Swarm mechanism it's even cheaper. I keep mine behind the back seat of my truck and it's perfect in that role. It will pretty consistently shoot 2" or smaller groups at 50 yards, which I feel is pretty decent for the kind of gun it is.

The main downside to it that I see is the autoloader. When you examine the materials that it's made of and the motions that it goes through to load a pellet, pivoting 90 degrees and back with every shot, it's amazing that it works at all. In my own experience though it still doesn't work well at all and it's a mechanism that makes accidental dry firing very likely to happen. Part of the reason I bought it was to experience what an autoloading springer was like, but having experienced it, I wouldn't do it again, unless maybe it was done with an underlever or sidelever and had a different design.

Other downsides are the cheap construction, very heavy cocking effort and lack of spare parts. To be fair though it's appropriately priced for it's level of fit and finish and that same cheapness is very practical and makes it a gun that you don't feel you need to wipe down each time you use it or worry about scratches. The scope it comes with is pretty marginal, but I've seen worse. The cocking effort however is extreme. I own a Hatsan 135 and I used to own a Beeman Kodiak and the Gamo Magnum is significantly harder to cock than either of them.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I've still got my Gamo Magnum Swarm and for the price I don't feel it's a bad rifle. It's not even remotely on the same level as an HW95 however. The trigger on a Gamo can be made to be halfway decent by just swapping out an adjustment screw. For a break-barrel it's extremely powerful, it's lightweight and it's nowhere near as hold sensitive as it should be considering how light and powerful it is. It's also quite cheap. Mine was $300 with the scope and if you get it without the Swarm mechanism it's even cheaper. I keep mine behind the back seat of my truck and it's perfect in that role. It will pretty consistently shoot 2" or smaller groups at 50 yards, which I feel is pretty decent for the kind of gun it is.

The main downside to it that I see is the autoloader. When you examine the materials that it's made of and the motions that it goes through to load a pellet, pivoting 90 degrees and back with every shot, it's amazing that it works at all. In my own experience though it still doesn't work well at all and it's a mechanism that makes accidental dry firing very likely to happen. Part of the reason I bought it was to experience what an autoloading springer was like, but having experienced it, I wouldn't do it again, unless maybe it was done with an underlever or sidelever and had a different design.

Other downsides are the cheap construction, very heavy cocking effort and lack of spare parts. To be fair though it's appropriately priced for it's level of fit and finish and that same cheapness is very practical and makes it a gun that you don't feel you need to wipe down each time you use it or worry about scratches. The scope it comes with is pretty marginal, but I've seen worse. The cocking effort however is extreme. I own a Hatsan 135 and I used to own a Beeman Kodiak and the Gamo Magnum is significantly harder to cock than either of them.

For some guys they may be perfect rifles. And the multi shot function has been a long time coming. I'm sure they will get better as time goes by.

Personally I don't see the need for one. But for hunting and pesting it does make sense.

I'm all about budget pellet rifles you don't have to baby. I like my Hatsan 95s in .22 a lot. They have their issues to be sure. For my purposes I like them better than my buddies gun. But each to his own. I'm sure the Gamo has its virtues and faults as well.

In different hands that Gamo might perform well. I don't like it and haven't shot many shots through it so I am biased. My buddy can't hit anything with his and thinks it's the best thing since maple syrup. So he is biased too.

I have found anything shoots pretty good once you get used to it. A fellow figures it out with desire to hit what he aims at. In this case I don't have the desire and he is in denial. So the potential of that rifle is definitely not being realized.

If I were new to shooting and had $300 bucks to spend I think I'd stick with a traditional style rifle with good iron sights. Then as I mastered the skills and got some experience move up to something better.

I shoot many air rifles these days and have a few scope mounted tack drivers. Still my go-to gun is the Hatsan 95 with iron sights. For $129 bucks it's hard to beat. But then again I am biased. I think I'm on #16 so far.

They are problematic and the quality control is non existent. They arent worth the time and money to rebuild. But if you have the patience they make really good shooters....Excellent even.

I just ordered a Cometa 400. I haven't received it yet but I have high hopes. It's about twice the price of a Hatsan 95 and if it is as good as the Hatsan I'll call it a value too.

I'm certain I would not have purchased either if it had a multi shot function. For me it's a complication that holds no value. For others it may be just what they need.

No doubt someone will come up with a quality multi shot that will impress. I'm sure I'll be the first in line to get one. Until then I'll be plopping lead in the dirt with my single shot rifles.