My 1st PCP - Recommendations?

Looking for experienced recommendations for my first PCP. First off, I like the idea of getting a decent gun at a good price, even if tinkering is required. I'm pretty handy, mechanical and have access to machine shop if need be. Currently I like the idea of the Air Venturi Avenge-X series because of how well the Avenger has proven itself as a budget option that can still be fairly accurate. Then too, I shoot left handed and the cocking lever on the Avenge-X can be moved over for southpaws. Mostly I'll be plinking and small gaming under 100 yards, with the vast majority even under 50 yards. I like the idea of being able to tune for a wide variety of pellet weights, that way I can tune down for backyard plinking, or double up the fpe for hunting. I only wish that the upcoming Avenge-X was also going to be offered in .30 cal, although not a complete game breaker. Going with a .22 cal for simplicity could leave me the option of falling in love with PCPs and reason enough to buy say an Impact or Maverick in .30 cal., or something of the magnitude later. After all, isn't that what we do, buy our first then go nuts and keep upgrading? ☺️
We can't guess how good the Avenge-X might be when it hits the shelves, or how many problems they might have early on.
So, are there any other sub $1000 rifles out there that have already proven themselves as fairly accurate at 50 yards, reliable and left hand friendly?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
The Maverick VP checks a lot of boxes for ya, minus the lefty requirement. Think of the Maverick more of a platform rather than just an airgun, as you can swap calibers, barrel lengths, air reservoirs and the like. I really love mine, so much so, my other airguns have been being sold off, particularly because none of the others have adjustable power control like the Maverick. I only state the Maverick VP in .30cal because you state small game hunting under 100 yards, and depending on what you consider small game, you may need the .30cal and the extra ooomph it provides at distance. I've taken a few pest close to 100 yards, so I can definitely vouch for the accuracy. Unfortunately, the VP is $450 outside of your budget, and I understand that you want something now to see if you like it. But there is nothing worse than spending money on a low quality tool, which makes it hard to enjoy the sport.

Reactions: IRBent
Why do you want .30 cal.?Yes ,there are some accurate good quality PCP under $1000.One that come up is the Gamo Urban,can switch bolt to left,also the Marauder can be switched.I use pistols a lot,some can be switch and because they are pistols not problems.
Some people like the Turkish and Chinese Bullpups.
I also shoot left-handed,many of "US"do,hopefully some will have other suggestions.I hate reaching over to cock a rifle,rather have a springer.
If I may add,even my cheap uh,mean inexpensive PCP can do 1/2 groups at 25yds...also the price of a PCP is only the beginning.Add a pump,rings, a scope and you may be spending the $1000 even buying a >$600 PCP.

The Maverick VP checks a lot of boxes for ya, minus the lefty requirement. Think of the Maverick more of a platform rather than just an airgun, as you can swap calibers, barrel lengths, air reservoirs and the like. I really love mine, so much so, my other airguns have been being sold off, particularly because none of the others have adjustable power control like the Maverick. I only state the Maverick VP in .30cal because you state small game hunting under 100 yards, and depending on what you consider small game, you may need the .30cal and the extra ooomph it provides at distance. I've taken a few pest close to 100 yards, so I can definitely vouch for the accuracy. Unfortunately, the VP is $450 outside of your budget, and I understand that you want something now to see if you like it. But there is nothing worse than spending money on a low quality tool, which makes it hard to enjoy the sport.
The Maverick was one of the first rifles that I studied pretty hard and while the cocking mechanism might not be lefty friendly, I thought that I had read somewhere that it could be shot left handed, but the magazine might be close to your face. While I tossed out that sub $1000 figure, I really don't have a budget. If I went Maverick, I'd probably wish I bought the other Maverick. Meaning, I like the idea of a compact, but I also like the performance of the sniper with its extra velocity due to the longer barrel. The VP might be the sweet spot but dang it, that heavy aluminum tank. 🤣. Maybe the VP with a carbon tank and and alternate top piece to allow the mag to be inserted from the top or left.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Why do you want .30 cal.?Yes ,there are some accurate good quality PCP under $1000.One that come up is the Gamo Urban,can switch bolt to left,also the Marauder can be switched.I use pistols a lot,some can be switch and because they are pistols not problems.
Some people like the Turkish and Chinese Bullpups.
I also shoot left-handed,many of "US"do,hopefully some will have other suggestions.I hate reaching over to cock a rifle,rather have a springer.
If I may add,even my cheap uh,mean inexpensive PCP can do 1/2 groups at 25yds...also the price of a PCP is only the beginning.Add a pump,rings, a scope and you may be spending the $1000 even buying a >$600 PCP.
The only reason that I might want a .30 cal some day is, I have a lifetime hunting and fishing license and my State allows deer hunting with air rifles if it's at least a .30 cal. As the gun N2 Shooter mentioned, the Maverick comes really close to being my gun of choice. As for the Urban, I want more power and the Marauder might have been in my sights when it first came out but there's many that are better and lighter these days.

Last edited:
The Maverick was one of the first rifles that I studied pretty hard and while the cocking mechanism might not be lefty friendly, I thought that I had read somewhere that it could be shot left handed, but the magazine might be close to your face. While I tossed out that sub $1000 figure, I really don't have a budget. If I went Maverick, I'd probably wish I bought the other Maverick. Meaning, I like the idea of a compact, but I also like the performance of the sniper with its extra velocity due to the longer barrel. The VP might be the sweet spot but dang it, that heavy aluminum tank. 🤣. Maybe the VP with a carbon tank and and alternate top piece to allow the mag to be inserted from the top or left.

I swapped my Aluminum tank out when funds were available. I once 3D printed a top piece for a friend's Wildcat, so there is probably a design for the Maverick floating around on the wen somewhere.

FX Maverick VP 580cc.jpg

I swapped my Aluminum tank out when funds were available. I once 3D printed a top piece for a friend's Wildcat, so there is probably a design for the Maverick floating around on the wen somewhere.

View attachment 345019
Nice looking setup. There indeed are 3D printed lefty options for the Maverick out. I remember seeing one a few weeks ago when I was studying that gun. So, your Maverick was the VP originally and the only thing different between it and the Compact or Sniper is that is had the middle length barrel and an aluminum tank, right? After swapping out to a carbon tank, how much does your rig weigh? Also, do you remember how much the tank cost ya? I already own a half decent Athlon Talos 4x14x44 FFP scope that's on my Gamo Swarm Magnum. I'll need new scope mounts that's not dovetail, and of course a big fill tank and compressor. I think I have an in for a commercial SCBA fill station that will require me to swap the 3 phase 480V motor out for a single phase 240V. If that comes through it might have @ $500 in an awesome compressor that probably cost closer to $4000 or $5000 new. It's good to have friends in low/high places. 🤣

Nice looking setup. There indeed are 3D printed lefty options for the Maverick out. I remember seeing one a few weeks ago when I was studying that gun. So, your Maverick was the VP originally and the only thing different between it and the Compact or Sniper is that is had the middle length barrel and an aluminum tank, right? After swapping out to a carbon tank, how much does your rig weigh? Also, do you remember how much the tank cost ya? I already own a half decent Athlon Talos 4x14x44 FFP scope that's on my Gamo Swarm Magnum. I'll need new scope mounts that's not dovetail, and of course a big fill tank and compressor. I think I have an in for a commercial SCBA fill station that will require me to swap the 3 phase 480V motor out for a single phase 240V. If that comes through it might have @ $500 in an awesome compressor that probably cost closer to $4000 or $5000 new. It's good to have friends in low/high places. 🤣
I purchased this 580cc 300bar tank off of Amazon for $160. I then bought the valve for the tank directly from FX USA for around $50, as I wanted to use the old steel tank as a possible spare while hunting.

It's hard to say how much everything weighs, as my scope weighs a ton (over 3 pounds)! I also run with a DonnyFL Ronin on the front all of the time. Adding the carbon fiber tank was noticeably lighter, but not a massive difference in the grand scheme of things.

Everything about the airgun is the same as the Maverick Sniper, except the shorter barrel and steel tank. I wanted a shorter barrel in the first place so it would be more comfortable while walking through the woods. I did do a modification to my airgun and I added a MagPul connector to the rear for a sling, and I used the front pic rail for a MagPul adapter.

I also just use a $250 Yong Heng 4500psi compressor. If you are in a pinch for cash, I think this is a reasonable downgrade. I use it to fill up my 4500psi SCBA tanks as well as filling my airgun directly.

20220917_121825.jpg

20220917_121847-2.jpg

20220917_121834-2.jpg

20220917_121858-2.jpg

You are being far too kind, "the VP is $450 outside of your budget", we all know that the the Rabbit Hole® sucks you in and is more addictive than crack. I absolutely love my Mavericks, one of mine even survived my attempt at destructive testing, see my recent post. My good buddy shoots left handed, has no problem with my Maverick.

I'm new here and don't know how to use this forum tommy advantage yet, so " see your recent post"? Referring to one other than the last one with bottle info, compressor and more? As for my budget, yeah I asked about sub $1000, but I'm in a position to afford an Epoch if I so choose. But too like my original post mentioned, I love bargains. I could jump on the Sniper and buy a second barrel and probably be in love but I'll still wonder what I'm missing in the Avenge-X. If I wait on the Avenge-X and it ends up being finicky or questionable in its accuracy, I'll be wondering about the Maverick. Sorta like that bargain compressor I mentioned. Even if I get it setup and it can fill a Great White in a few minutes, I'll probably still be wondering about a GX CS4. I like butter pecan, chocolate, vanilla and more, even if we're not talking ice cream. Variety, that's what it's all about. ☺️

I have a VP .25, swapped out for a carbon fiber tank, a Donny Mod, shooting 33.95 and 25.39's dime size groups at 30 yds. My friend is a lefty, has zero issues with it, it's better to use your weak hand to cock, you don't have to remove it from the grip.

I have a VP .25, swapped out for a carbon fiber tank, a Donny Mod, shooting 33.95 and 25.39's dime size groups at 30 yds. My friend is a lefty, has zero issues with it, it's better to use your weak hand to cock, you don't have to remove it from the grip.
I like your username and could hunt hogs here since they're trying to take over. Can your Maverick, or you, maintain a quarter size group at 50 yards? How about further out? I too thought about cocking right handed while keeping my hand on the grip and trigger finger ready, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hold the barrel up with my left hand on the grip. Which moderator did you choose?

This could be a very, very good purchase:

Renegade HP is s dream to shoot rifle. The trigger is the very best in the market and they are powerful and indeed accurate at above 100 yards.

I own three Renegades, bought used: one in .30 Cal, one in .25; and a .177 bought new. It is a pleasure to shoot with those rifles.

Last edited:
i dunno .. imo most bolts suit lefties better on the right side .. pends on what your after though, if you want 'everything' to play around with might as well spend big on a highend gun right from the start .. if its something more serious like pest control on your property, a marauder or avenger will not disappoint .. as far as caliber, its NOT cheap to plink alot if its other than .17 or .22 .. again if its serious, then .25 .30 etc will give an edge .. plinking with expensive larger calibers isnt too sensible though, just sayin ..

Reactions: HogKiller
This could be a very, very good purchase:

Renegade HP is s dream to shoot rifle. The trigger is the very best in the market and they are powerful and indeed accurate at above 100 yards.

I own three Renegades, bought used: one in .30 Cal, one in .25; and a .177 bought new. It is a pleasure to shoot with those rifles.
I watched a decent video maybe last week where two friends put the Avenger Bullpup up against the Pulsar. If for nothing else, watch it to see the Pulsar owner's face and comments after shooting both.

The VP doesn't come with a Moderator, a Fiber tank or a plastic case, BUT it does have a nice length barrel, the tiny bit of speed you may get out of a sniper is minimal. That deal on the compressor is the single largest hit to the bank account...EVER!! Congrats on that.

i dunno .. imo most bolts suit lefties better on the right side .. pends on what your after though, if you want 'everything' to play around with might as well spend big on a highend gun right from the start .. if its something more serious like pest control on your property, a marauder or avenger will not disappoint .. as far as caliber, its NOT cheap to plink alot if its other than .17 or .22 .. again if its serious, then .25 .30 etc will give an edge .. plinking with expensive larger calibers isnt too sensible though, just sayin ..
I do understand all of that. For the most part that's why I've never owned an air rifle that wasn't .177 however I recently purchased a magnum springer in .22 and that caused me to want more power and less kick. So I started studying PCP options. Knowing me, I'll end up with an inexpensive PCP only to buy a high end FX, Day state, or better.

I like your username and could hunt hogs here since they're trying to take over. Can your Maverick, or you, maintain a quarter size group at 50 yards? How about further out? I too thought about cocking right handed while keeping my hand on the grip and trigger finger ready, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hold the barrel up with my left hand on the grip. Which moderator did you choose?
I'm sure the gun is capable, I've shot at 50 yards but it's been a while and the gun wasn't quite in the tune it is now. Hopefully this week, if it isn't pouring rain or windy as H here, I'll get out to my ground squirrel area, the average shot there is 70 yards, I don't foresee an issue. Last time I was there it was windy and swirling so there was no way I could compensate for drift, heck when into the wind the pellet just dropped like a stone, the pesky squirrels were pointing and laughing at me. The mod is a Donny Shogun works well. Hopefully Donny and those who shalt not be named can come to an agreement.

Last edited: