• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Brocock/BRK My experience with first PCP

Demphna2

May 28, 2024
I took months to research all the options. My initial thoughts were there was no way I would spend more than a few hundred dollars on an airgun, no matter if it's a PCP or a springer. As I read more and more, the motto buy once cry once became more evident. I narrowed down my choices and ultimately decided on the Brocock Sahara XR. A few reasons for my decision: excellent shot count, excellent reputation of a no fuss PCP, excellent deal at AOA, external regulator adjustment, power wheel adjustment, picatinny rails for scope and bipod included, excellent barrel, and lastly, a unique color :).

I also researched moderators and landed on an STO Sarissa. Not knowing what to expect from this combination, I mounted the scope, screwed on the moderator and proceeded to get a rudimentary zero. AOA sent the Sahara with a little under 240 bar, which was nice so I could play around with it.

Being worried about the first shot POI due to being in my backyard, I decided to zero at 15 yards into a huge box with a bag of soil as a backstop. I used the JBS 18.13gr as this was what AOA used to test the rifle. First shot low, but on the box. Using the hole as my new POA, I shot 5 more.

OK, that's awesome. Now to try 10 shots at 30 yards.
russian photo sharing

This thing is a sweet shooter! Next order of business was to try different pellets and get some chronograph data.

After realizing how sweet of an airgun this is and wondering why I hadn't got into this way sooner, I shot more groups and did one dot drill.

I decided to try the JTS 18.1 gr again bc they gave me the best results when testing a few different pellets.

Unbelievable!

I realize this is only 30 yards, but I do plan on testing at 50 and 100 soon.
I've only had this thing for a week, but man PCPs are fun! My recommendation for anyone who is wanting to get into this is to do your research and don't let the fact that it's "just an airgun" keep you from buying quality. These things are so much more fun bc you can get trigger time in your backyard and they're super accurate. A big thank you to the people of this forum and others with the wealth of knowledge that is shared.
image hosting site

That's great and great purchase. I actually just got a sniper xr and it's doing really well also. Is that loud without the sarrisa my barrel/shroud is slightly longer but the hugget atom took the ball out.
20240525_201341.jpg

Congratulations, I really appreciate the detailed report on your 'Sahara'.

I assume the above velocities are at the highest power setting, correct?

It would be interesting to see what a full shot string (down to it falling below the regulator) looks like over the chrony.

I've only been 'into' PCP's for a few years, however, I've done a LOT of .22 rimfire shooting... understand the dilemma of home range limitations, but I really feel that with both PCP's and rimfire==> that stretching them out to 50 yards really shows how they are doing with said pellet. So I'm looking forward to seeing what your 50 (+ or -) groups look like.

Brawler, I'm quite curious how much of an uptick in velocity and shot count the longer barrel/larger bottle on your sniper gets?

Jerry

Congratulations, I really appreciate the detailed report on your 'Sahara'.

I assume the above velocities are at the highest power setting, correct?

It would be interesting to see what a full shot string (down to it falling below the regulator) looks like over the chrony.

I've only been 'into' PCP's for a few years, however, I've done a LOT of .22 rimfire shooting... understand the dilemma of home range limitations, but I really feel that with both PCP's and rimfire==> that stretching them out to 50 yards really shows how they are doing with said pellet. So I'm looking forward to seeing what your 50 (+ or -) groups look like.

Brawler, I'm quite curious how much of an uptick in velocity and shot count the longer barrel/larger bottle on your sniper gets?

Jerry
Yes, highest power setting. It came tuned for the 18.13 gr JBS pellets right out of the box, so I haven't had the pleasure of going through the tuning process. I think a full shot string would be interesting. AOA sent me chronograph data they did when testing the rifle. I have just under 100 shots on it so far and with my chronograph numbers combined with AOA, it had an ES of 11, which I thought was impressive.

I'll be interested to see 50 yards as well. And I am curious about Brawlers velocity and shot count as well.

Not an entire shot string until it falls off the regulator, but holy crap. Still just at 30 yards, will get to 50 soon. I do believe I will be putting my powder burners and reloading on the backburner for a little while. This is incredible fun.

I would try some 16gr Hades . Good hunting ammo that is usually accurate . JTS and AEA are making some accurate pellets and a bunch of different weights to choose from. And definitely try some crosman 14.3g CPHPs . Looks like it's accurate and nice to see your enjoying your new BRK .

I took months to research all the options. My initial thoughts were there was no way I would spend more than a few hundred dollars on an airgun, no matter if it's a PCP or a springer. As I read more and more, the motto buy once cry once became more evident. I narrowed down my choices and ultimately decided on the Brocock Sahara XR. A few reasons for my decision: excellent shot count, excellent reputation of a no fuss PCP, excellent deal at AOA, external regulator adjustment, power wheel adjustment, picatinny rails for scope and bipod included, excellent barrel, and lastly, a unique color :).

I also researched moderators and landed on an STO Sarissa. Not knowing what to expect from this combination, I mounted the scope, screwed on the moderator and proceeded to get a rudimentary zero. AOA sent the Sahara with a little under 240 bar, which was nice so I could play around with it.

Being worried about the first shot POI due to being in my backyard, I decided to zero at 15 yards into a huge box with a bag of soil as a backstop. I used the JBS 18.13gr as this was what AOA used to test the rifle. First shot low, but on the box. Using the hole as my new POA, I shot 5 more.

OK, that's awesome. Now to try 10 shots at 30 yards.
russian photo sharing

This thing is a sweet shooter! Next order of business was to try different pellets and get some chronograph data.

After realizing how sweet of an airgun this is and wondering why I hadn't got into this way sooner, I shot more groups and did one dot drill.

I decided to try the JTS 18.1 gr again bc they gave me the best results when testing a few different pellets.

Unbelievable!

I realize this is only 30 yards, but I do plan on testing at 50 and 100 soon.
I've only had this thing for a week, but man PCPs are fun! My recommendation for anyone who is wanting to get into this is to do your research and don't let the fact that it's "just an airgun" keep you from buying quality. These things are so much more fun bc you can get trigger time in your backyard and they're super accurate. A big thank you to the people of this forum and others with the wealth of knowledge that is shared.
image hosting site
I have the same gun and love it! I tried JSB dome 18.13 and 15.89, H&N 18.13, JSB Hades 15.89, and CPHP 14.3 pellets. It does the best with the 18 gr pellets. But the Crosman 14.3 is really good even at the highest setting (912 FPS), so it is the pellet I use for this gun. It is $7 a tin at Walmart! Highly recommended for pesting or plinking. Unfortunately, the only gun in my collection can shoot CPHP very well is the Sahara.

• Love
Reactions: PEP3 and L.Leon
Finally got a chance to try a bit further out. Did some testing at 55 yards, but what a terrible day to try it. It was windy as crap. Really had to pay attention to the conditions before squeezing shots off. Very pleased with the results and really interested in what it'll do on a calm day. I think this rifle prefers the JTS 18.1gr.

The JTS 22gr did pretty well and were a little better at bucking the wind

Really appreciate the longer distance groups...

The JTS 18.x group is excellent, I'd be very happy. Better conditions the JBS 18's and the JTS 22.x's might even do well?

Jerry
Welcome to your first PCP experience and a great first choice....Try the AEA 15g/18g pellets you might just be surprised with their accuracy .

Really appreciate the longer distance groups...

The JTS 18.x group is excellent, I'd be very happy. Better conditions the JBS 18's and the JTS 22.x's might even do well?

Jerry
The JSBs were trying to group, but I think the JTS 18s are just better. I used them for the 30 yard challenge and they did extremely well. The JTS 22s are good also, I can see them doing better if I could read the conditions better. They didn't require as much effort to group if that makes sense. Will be trying those again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy
I've had a Sniper HR for a while, having bought it here used. It is one of the finest airguns I've ever owned. It is amazingly consistent and accurate. It is my most trusted 100 yard rifle, and that includes the likes of FX Royales, Katran, HW100, BSA R10 MK2 etc, so it's running in some pretty good company.
Are you using pellets or slugs at 100?