• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Brocock/BRK My experience with first PCP

I took months to research all the options. My initial thoughts were there was no way I would spend more than a few hundred dollars on an airgun, no matter if it's a PCP or a springer. As I read more and more, the motto buy once cry once became more evident. I narrowed down my choices and ultimately decided on the Brocock Sahara XR. A few reasons for my decision: excellent shot count, excellent reputation of a no fuss PCP, excellent deal at AOA, external regulator adjustment, power wheel adjustment, picatinny rails for scope and bipod included, excellent barrel, and lastly, a unique color :).

I also researched moderators and landed on an STO Sarissa. Not knowing what to expect from this combination, I mounted the scope, screwed on the moderator and proceeded to get a rudimentary zero. AOA sent the Sahara with a little under 240 bar, which was nice so I could play around with it.

Being worried about the first shot POI due to being in my backyard, I decided to zero at 15 yards into a huge box with a bag of soil as a backstop. I used the JBS 18.13gr as this was what AOA used to test the rifle. First shot low, but on the box. Using the hole as my new POA, I shot 5 more.

OK, that's awesome. Now to try 10 shots at 30 yards.
russian photo sharing

This thing is a sweet shooter! Next order of business was to try different pellets and get some chronograph data.

After realizing how sweet of an airgun this is and wondering why I hadn't got into this way sooner, I shot more groups and did one dot drill.

I decided to try the JTS 18.1 gr again bc they gave me the best results when testing a few different pellets.

Unbelievable!

I realize this is only 30 yards, but I do plan on testing at 50 and 100 soon.
I've only had this thing for a week, but man PCPs are fun! My recommendation for anyone who is wanting to get into this is to do your research and don't let the fact that it's "just an airgun" keep you from buying quality. These things are so much more fun bc you can get trigger time in your backyard and they're super accurate. A big thank you to the people of this forum and others with the wealth of knowledge that is shared.
image hosting site
looking good, you did the right thing spending on quality.

Grabbed some AEA pellets and JTS 25.39s. This was very eye opening to me bc up to this point, whatever I fed the Sahara XR, it shot pretty well. It did not like the AEA 25.3 gr pellets. It did ok with the JTS 25.39. I shot 20 rounds of each just to make sure. The AEA 21.9 and 18.3 did a lot better, although the 21.9 did have a flyer. I decided to do a 10 shot group with the JSB 25.39 just to make sure nothing was off. Before I shot those, I had already taken 60 shots, which my concentration was waning. The JSBs stacked 8 of the 10 in a little cluster and it was immediately noticeable just how important picking the right pellet is. Mini pellet test:

Grabbed some AEA pellets and JTS 25.39s. This was very eye opening to me bc up to this point, whatever I fed the Sahara XR, it shot pretty well. It did not like the AEA 25.3 gr pellets. It did ok with the JTS 25.39. I shot 20 rounds of each just to make sure. The AEA 21.9 and 18.3 did a lot better, although the 21.9 did have a flyer. I decided to do a 10 shot group with the JSB 25.39 just to make sure nothing was off. Before I shot those, I had already taken 60 shots, which my concentration was waning. The JSBs stacked 8 of the 10 in a little cluster and it was immediately noticeable just how important picking the right pellet is. Mini pellet test:

I know them JSBs put a smile on your face. Nice group!

Reactions: Demphna2
Sorry if this is getting redundant, but I'm a tinkerer and I can't leave things alone. If anything, hopefully this can be a reference for someone to look at. I decided to just try 8 shot groups with each pellet to test and rule out the worst groups. I also felt like I was more in tune with the gun this time, which is a huge variable to consider when testing.

When evaluating, I think group shape is just as important as group size. To my surprise, they all shot well, but only the AEA 21.9 and 18.3s formed a roundish group shape. What do ya'll think?

Obviously need to go further out and see also.

Sorry if this is getting redundant, but I'm a tinkerer and I can't leave things alone. If anything, hopefully this can be a reference for someone to look at. I decided to just try 8 shot groups with each pellet to test and rule out the worst groups. I also felt like I was more in tune with the gun this time, which is a huge variable to consider when testing.

When evaluating, I think group shape is just as important as group size. To my surprise, they all shot well, but only the AEA 21.9 and 18.3s formed a roundish group shape. What do ya'll think?

Obviously need to go further out and see also.
what distance

It appears to like the 18s, as long as it's shooting them that well I wouldn't touch the tune. The saying go's, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I shoot the 18s from my Impact M3. It also loves them with the tune it currently is set up with. I have stretched it out to about 65 yards with great results. windy days are fun learning to judge holds and such. Enjoy your fantastic gun.

It appears to like the 18s, as long as it's shooting them that well I wouldn't touch the tune. The saying go's, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I shoot the 18s from my Impact M3. It also loves them with the tune it currently is set up with. I have stretched it out to about 65 yards with great results. windy days are fun learning to judge holds and such. Enjoy your fantastic gun.
This is @Demphna2, “first” PCP, quite the first choice…💥🤓 The facts are that the “entire” BRK Brocock lineup is as solid. This has been thoroughly vetted by many users, reviewers and in competition. The BRKs are simply no nonsense, out the box, awesome PCPs… 🙏

Reactions: Demphna2