Taipan My long term feelings of the vet 2

Not as good as it could be! I was willing to overlook certain issues with this version, but…
No anti double load feature! Fail.
Custom air tank specs and moderator. This does not allow additional plenum due to clearance issues with the factory mod- fail.
Same factory reg- not bad, but no markings, go to huma for crying out loud, and be done with it. Keep the profile similar to the vet 1 and keep the anti double load.
Otherwise, spend the extra 500 bucks and get an epic 2. I know I’m catching crap, but don’t care, I’m not a blind loyalist.

The Vet 1 has always been a favorite of mine. I even prefer the rear lever, and yes, it has a great anti-double feed design. It seems that many folks seem to have a natural bias in favor of Huma regs, which I have never really understood. Two of my rifles, the Vet 1 and RAW have regs that, IMO, are better than the Huma replacements. They are both simple, robust designs that have been trouble free for me. I don't consider the lack of markings as an issue. The Huma markings are never accurate, and it's a trial-and-error process anyway. Once I get the tune right, I don't need to know where the reg is set. I suppose if one frequently changes the tune, then markings might be of value. If you like to tinker, then just buy an FX and play with it until it breaks (yeah, I'm not totally objective there). The Vet 2 proves a couple of old adages, "the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem", and "be careful what you ask for".

The Vet 1 has always been a favorite of mine. I even prefer the rear lever, and yes, it has a great anti-double feed design. It seems that many folks seem to have a natural bias in favor of Huma regs, which I have never really understood. Two of my rifles, the Vet 1 and RAW have regs that, IMO, are better than the Huma replacements. They are both simple, robust designs that have been trouble free for me. I don't consider the lack of markings as an issue. The Huma markings are never accurate, and it's a trial-and-error process anyway. Once I get the tune right, I don't need to know where the reg is set. I suppose if one frequently changes the tune, then markings might be of value. If you like to tinker, then just buy an FX and play with it until it breaks (yeah, I'm not totally objective there). The Vet 2 proves a couple of old adages, "the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem", and "be careful what you ask for".
Respectfully, I disagree on your reg assessment. With the factory reg displaying no markings. I have no idea if the reg is at 100 bar 140 bar or 180 bar? Unless I get a reg tester. Even if HUMA is not totally accurate, I have an easy ballpark reading in seconds as to where it is. I'm a set and forget type guy. And If I need to replace the reg, I know pretty much where to set the replacement reg prior to installation and done. Gun is back in action. I like the KISS formula to airgun maintenance. Now the factory regs may be better, IDK, but Huma are easier to work with, for me.

Respectfully, I disagree on your reg assessment. With the factory reg displaying no markings. I have no idea if the reg is at 100 bar 140 bar or 180 bar? Unless I get a reg tester. Even if HUMA is not totally accurate, I have an easy ballpark reading in seconds as to where it is. I'm a set and forget type guy. And If I need to replace the reg, I know pretty much where to set the replacement reg prior to installation and done. Gun is back in action. I like the KISS formula to airgun maintenance. Now the factory regs may be better, IDK, but Huma are easier to work with, for me.
I understand your perspective, and your call is the right one for you. When I tune a rifle, I'm working with a combination of hammer spring tension and reg pressure. When I reach the most efficient combination, the reg setting is immaterial to me, it's simply where the tune puts it. Am I disadvantaged if I have to replace the reg? Probably, but once it's done, I'm through with it for a long time (hopefully). Like most of this stuff, it usually gets down to a matter of personal preference.

Not as good as it could be! I was willing to overlook certain issues with this version, but…
No anti double load feature! Fail.
Custom air tank specs and moderator. This does not allow additional plenum due to clearance issues with the factory mod- fail.
Same factory reg- not bad, but no markings, go to huma for crying out loud, and be done with it. Keep the profile similar to the vet 1 and keep the anti double load.
Otherwise, spend the extra 500 bucks and get an epic 2. I know I’m catching crap, but don’t care, I’m not a blind loyalist.
Hi Marc,

Well, I’m real happy with your Vet 2 that you sold me, she’s a shooter, lol.

I’m a bench shooter, but I like bullpups even as a bench shooter - more than many PCP rifles that get crazy long once you add moderators.

I love the springless magazines on Taipans (similar to HW100 / 110), but I’m not even using them now - I single shot load load with my thumb. BTW if you have the SSL that came with our Taipan, and you are not using, let me know. So anti double load is not an important feature for me.

I believe the power plenum for the Taipan Veteran 2 is intended for the 700mm barre version. Here you can see the classic stock Vet 2 (non-tactical) in both 550mm and 700 forms - note the added plenum with the 700mm.

I wonder if you could use the plenum with the 550mm barrel if you used the extended length moderator from the tactical model… I’m guessing the extended moderator would likely be too fat and would touch the air tube - but if not, it would look ok as the 550mm + tactical moderator would be longer than the airtube with plenum added.

-Ed

IMG_0344.png

IMG_0343.png

Reactions: Dairyboy