MY NEW .22 CAL HW30S

The .177 cal HW30S is a great gun but it really never checked the boxes for me. Don’t get me wrong, I like it but there are others that would be the last to go after the 30.

I have been wanting a .22 cal HW30S for about a year but never seemed to to put my money down. Finally I gave in and ordered it.

All I can say is WOW! This is such a fun caliber for this little springer. It just THUMPS those tin cans and gives them a good kick 🦵 I mounted a Leupold 3-9x33 efr scope and I think it’s the perfect fit for it however, I think I’ll convert it back to the open sights here soon. I wasn’t really looking for a sniper rifle, I was looking more for a low and slow can roller and that is EXACTLY what I have here.

This is just what I needed to make airgunning fun again!

44EE6D27-BD28-4095-A3DD-CAA8F67D1D86.1611546660.jpeg
4C090134-EECD-4880-875A-F5DEF767F27D.1611546661.jpeg

I get what you’re saying about open sights. Man, it sure looks good with that Leupold on it though. What a great little gun, so fun and easy to shoot too. I know you and the family will put it to good use. 

Stoti

You know what Stoti? I think it looks really good with that scope too. I like it A LOT! 😎 So much so I’m alteady thinking about getting another one so I can have one with the scope and one with open sights. Do you think I have a problem? Ha ha!

And you’re right about us putting it to good use. No empty tin can will go unpunished! 👊🏼

Hi,

Thanks for the heads-up. I've also always wanted one just to knock over cans around the yard. I've got the .177. I've wanted more "strike" on the cans. Folks always said the trajectory is too loopy. For cans? I like the idea of a bit more thump. Cans? Iron sights would be my choice :)

Looks good. Might have to get one also!

Nugria

Keith, you can already guess what I’m going to say....

Go ahead and order the .22 cal. If you want that THUMP and JUMP on some tins cans, this is just THE ONE to do it. It’s just what I had hoped for. It’s also accurate with the scope at 20 yards so far. It’s still burning off the lubes. I can smell it when shooting. I only have about 150 pellets through it. The standard pellet for those .22 cal HW barrels is top dog so far, the 14.6 H&N Field Target Trophy in 5.53/54 head size.

If you get one, please be sure to share it with us!

Congrats on the gun! How’s it group for ya? I personally love mine in .177 & would never get rid of it, but would love to shoot one in .22 just for the fun of it.

I love the clean lines without the irons too, nicely done. All it needs now is a nice homemade custom stock. I’m confident you can whip one out in an afternoon 😉 

Did you see the .20 in the classifieds? I’m gonna have to break down and try that cal one of these days & see for myself. Some love it, some hate it. 

Nothing personal against the seller and I sincerely hope he finds a buyer, but an R7 .20 from PA is only $345.99 when they have them. It's where I was looking and hard before I ended up with the Huntington Beach R7 .20 I now own. The HW30s in .20 is only $360 at AoA. The CFL kit from what little has been posted across the different forums is a love it/hate it thing and having never tried one, can't honestly say myself. And yeah yeah, the choice of pellets in .20 is small but the ones still made are the best of the best and several of the 8 still made should shoot very well in one should you decide to.

Told the Green man up there he should buy and try one but he opted for .22 instead. Me? Personal fan of .20, sweet caliber in the rifle and will plunk squirrel heads out to 30 yards as easily as cans...lol. Have no regrets and love my R7 .20 :)

Nice I also have been considering that same setup. The Leupold etr 3-9 is the only scopes that can handle the recoil and are light also. Looking forward to seeing your results after you break it in. Good luck

Thank you Gene! I’ll say it again, this is a great setup! Perfect in form and function. Fun? ABSOLUTELY!!! I’m sure that it would make a great bird feeder gun out to 25 yards too. I love the compact size of the the Leupold scope!

That to me is the essence of air gunning

I fell very much the same way John! I removed the scope today and added the open sights back on it. I found that I was starting to chase after sniper precision with it and that wasn’t my original intent for this nice rifle. I have others that I can shoot for tight groups with. This one is dedicated to FUN!!! 💥

Congrats on the gun! How’s it group for ya? I personally love mine in .177 & would never get rid of it, but would love to shoot one in .22 just for the fun of it.

I love the clean lines without the irons too, nicely done. All it needs now is a nice homemade custom stock. I’m confident you can whip one out in an afternoon
1f609.svg

Did you see the .20 in the classifieds? I’m gonna have to break down and try that cal one of these days & see for myself. Some love it, some hate it.

Thank you my brother!

It’s grouping real nice at 20 yards shooting H&N FTTs 14.6 5.53. I haven’t checked numbers yet. Not sure if I will? Anyway, it’s still burning lubes off. I may take it down and clean it up and relube it if it doesn’t stop soon. Only thing I did was clean the barrel, adjust the pull weight on the trigger and get the barrel pivot bolt tension adjusted. I feel a little creep in the trigger so I’ll clean and relube the trigger unit at some point and get that creep out by adjusting the forbidden Torx screw! 😱😱😱

I did not see the .20 in the classifieds. I’m sure it’s a fantastic caliber, it just wasn’t one that have tried yet. Most of my guns are .177 with 4 .22 guns in there now, 2 springers, 2 PCPs.

Nothing personal against the seller and I sincerely hope he finds a buyer, but an R7 .20 from PA is only $345.99 when they have them. It's where I was looking and hard before I ended up with the Huntington Beach R7 .20 I now own. The HW30s in .20 is only $360 at AoA. The CFL kit from what little has been posted across the different forums is a love it/hate it thing and having never tried one, can't honestly say myself. And yeah yeah, the choice of pellets in .20 is small but the ones still made are the best of the best and several of the 8 still made should shoot very well in one should you decide to.

Told the Green man up there he should buy and try one but he opted for .22 instead. Me? Personal fan of .20, sweet caliber in the rifle and will plunk squirrel heads out to 30 yards as easily as cans...lol. Have no regrets and love my R7 .20 :)

Steve-O! 👀 You KNOW that I always value your opinion even if I don’t always follow it. 🤜🏼🤛🏻 But I did...

Quote from: SteveP-52 on March 21, 2020, 07:04:15 AM

Not seeing where much power or efficiency is gonna be needed since the intended use is to roll cans and random plinking in the yard with his son. Just get one, Brett...you know you wanna....lol

Now that is the kind of logic I’m talking about! I LOVE the way you spend my money Steve-O! Ha ha! 😜

I opted for the .22 for a few reasons.
1. Pellet speed (I want slow)

2. Pellet size (I want fat) 

3. Already have that ammo on hand AND have other guns that shoot the same caliber/ammo.

4. I know myself. If I bought the .20 in one model HW and liked it then I would feel like I had to complete the sets by having .20 in the other model HWs that I already have experienced. I don’t have have that much money!!! 💰 ha ha!

MY # 1 purpose for this from the beginning was to be a premier can thumper. I now have it thanks in part to your enablement.... er, encouragement. Thank you my friend!

I get what you’re saying about open sights. Man, it sure looks good with that Leupold on it though. What a great little gun, so fun and easy to shoot too. I know you and the family will put it to good use. 

Stoti

You know what Stoti? I think it looks really good with that scope too. I like it A LOT! 😎 So much so I’m alteady thinking about getting another one so I can have one with the scope and one with open sights. Do you think I have a problem? Ha ha!

And you’re right about us putting it to good use. No empty tin can will go unpunished! 👊🏼

I felt the same way after I got my first HW95 in .22 with a scope. I liked it so much that I bought a second one in .177 to shoot with open sights BUT I ended up keeping the scope on it after I was done testing different pellets because it's so accurate.

So I guess I need to buy a third one now for use with open sights. I guess your not the only one with a problem.😁 BTW that HW30 looks really nice.

Stoti

You know what Stoti? I think it looks really good with that scope too. I like it A LOT!
1f60e.svg
So much so I’m alteady thinking about getting another one so I can have one with the scope and one with open sights. Do you think I have a problem? Ha ha!

And you’re right about us putting it to good use. No empty tin can will go unpunished!
1f44a-1f3fc.svg

I felt the same way after I got my first HW95 in .22 with a scope. I liked it so much that I bought a second one in .177 to shoot with open sights BUT I ended up keeping the scope on it after I was done testing different pellets because it's so accurate.

So I guess I need to buy a third one now for use with open sights. I guess your not the only one with a problem.
1f601.svg
BTW that HW30 looks really nice.

Thanks Moog! I’m really enjoying this rifle. I also enjoy a couple 177 HW95s and a 22 R9. The low velocity on the 30 sure does make it fun for pounding cans with lead!

Cool! I bought one in .22 also. I love the heck out of it. I standardized on .22 for all my guns. I thought there might be some drawbacks to the larger .22 caliber, but I don't see them. It's very accurate, and if you want more velocity, it shoots the H&N FTT greens at about 620 fps. 

Thanks for the tip!!! How is the accuracy with the greens?

I see that you are in WA. So am I, Puyallup.