My new Gen 2 Marauder .22 - startup and impressions

Oh you did it now! Someone made a comment on awesome aftermarket support for marauders. Please do yourself a favor, and stay away from great places like Jefferson State Air rifles and Hill Airguns, lol. Once you cruise thru all the aftermarket goods they carry, you’ll fall deeper into this rabbit hole of a hobby, grasping for air with nothing to grab onto! And worse yet, you’ll fall victim to becoming a PCP tweaker! 

First things first though, get yourself a chronograph, so you know exactly what pellets are producing for power, along with gun tweaks.

And if you do mess with adjusting the factory settings on the gun, take note of the adjustments made, so you can always go back to stock form if need be.

Well good news on my Hatsan hand pump, I changed out a few orings and it seems to be working ok. They provided a bunch of extras with the pump but several of them were so hard I could not even get things reinstalled, so I was able to pick up what I needed at Ace Hardware. Hopefully this repair keeps me in business.

Oh man, a PCP tweaker, I thought shooting up pellets in your backyard is kind of legal, I mean its only a little lead dust for personal use! Yep I can see the money hole, (as I tell my wife I need a $300 titanium Marauder air tube to save weight to protect my aging back). Actually I think she might be still recovering from the shock when I told her I needed a $400 pellet gun😬

Speaking of chronographs, yes I now see that is a needed tool in figuring out your pcp. You got one you can recommend?

I have only bought one in my life, just recently as a matter of fact. I went with the competition electronics chronograph, as recommended to me by Tim Hill of Hill Airguns. I figured if a mover and a shaker of Marauder parts and testing his own parts is using that model, that’s good enough for me. I bought mine thru Midway, on sale for $95. Currently it’s at $115. I do all my testing inside my garage, so I bought the light kit so I wouldn’t have problems getting accurate readings, and also the wireless Bluetooth link. No matter how far the chronograph is away from me, it’s linked to both my iPhone or iPad, so I see the readings on both of those, along with a voice that tells me the speed of the shot, at each shot. There may be better ones out there with the tripod attachments and what not, but I didn’t need any of that misc stuff, as I like simple. Anyway, here are pics I pulled from midways site for you:

download.png
1553849338_2185680235c9ddbfa076045.37770721_3F7876AA-FD06-416F-B01E-62F62D986C97.jpeg

download.png
1553849338_16882515125c9ddbfa1fef06.71574971_13F51FF6-5489-47FC-B143-D51C589D443D.jpeg

download.png
1553849338_20411095295c9ddbfa3401b5.41497273_04D90A3B-E083-49D0-986E-68772B63A528.jpeg

Try the H&N Barracuda extreme hunter pellets, the ones with the Phillips head tip. Those things in both my 22 PRod and my 25 synthetic Marauder do really well as far as accuracy, and put to the ground dead on the critters. I just shared a pic to another member of a squirrel from last year, shot thru the jaw right below the eye. His head looked like he had the mumps, as the sides of his jaw area were bulged outward. Those same pellets shoot very well in my barrel cocking rifles, also. Here’s a group of 11 shots on my 25 cal Marauder that I recently re sighted in as I turned up the power. I’ve been having a raccoon problem lately, so I needed more umph to the shot. The first 8 were stacking one on top of another. I guess I got too excited with the last three.

I generally sight in at 35 to 40 yards, as this is my kill distance on the average for my Marauder rifle and PRod.

Just so happens Midway has a pretty good sized sale going on right now on all their H&N pellets. Great time to stock up.

Thanks Bigragu, looks like pretty good shooting you got going there and like your detailed record-keeping too. I will have to try some of those Barracuda's. My new Hatsan chinese hand pump just took a dump so it looks like I am out of the shooting business for awhile until I sort that out. Tried replacing o-rings but that did not help. Maybe that's what I get for cheaping out on a hand pump.

I started keeping records cause nothing beats looking back at field notes to see where you left off at a month ago when you tweaked on your gun, or if your guns ready to go at a moments notice, all sighted in and what not. Plus, I hate to admit, at 56 years of age I tend to forget things more easily, then I’ll end up having a conversation with myself asking if I did this or that a month ago, lol.

i hate to rain on your sunshine, sir, but if the hand pumping isn’t feeling too joyful right now, brand new to PCP guns, it won’t ever be. I did the same thing, foolishly, cause my back is beyond trashed. I let my ego get the best of me when I placed my order for this marauder(my very first lunge into the pcp hole) and bought the Hill MK4 pump along with it. I said to myself, I’m 6’3” 235 lbs, that pumping will be a breeze! Well, BS on that! I used that pump two times, and realized pumping takes the fun out of an awesome hobby such as this, so I invested in a tank, that I bought from a local Airhog distributor that caters to the paintball world. Didn’t even know I had a paintball/Airgun shop 45 minutes from me in the next small town. So, I was getting the tank filled there, till a year later I invested in a compressor. 

Take this advice from me, and I’m sure others will agree- a brand new tank cost me $700 with the fill station and stands. A lot of $$ for sure. Knowing what I know now, if I had to start over, and all I’m going to fill up is my air rifle, invest in one of those 12volt DC/120 volt AC compressors like the Hatsan Spark. You can tap into your cars battery while out in the field to run that thing, or plug it in at home with the separate 120 volt attachment hatsan sells. Field supply.com currently has the best price on this Spark compressor. Or, for even more money, but it all comes in one unit, get the Nomad 2 portable compressor. Same thing, attach to car battery or plug in at home, but the Nomad costs more cause it’s all built into one and has a carry case. Personally, I’d get the Spark. If I’m out in the field, it’s going to be smaller, lighter, just to plug into my cars battery. When I get home, I’ll use the 120 volt attachment to plug into the wall. 

Anyway, something to think about. Better do some honey doos for the wife, so she’s good about another investment, lol

If you’re after quail you might give JSBs new Hades pellets a try. Initial reports on their accuracy and expansion from guys that have gotten their hands on them sound promising. They’re less than half a penny more per pellet than those 18 grain JSBs you’re using. Which to me sounds rather reasonable for a hunting pellet.

Thanks for the info on the Hades, I hadn’t seen those yet. Just looked at a review and yes they look like a great hunting pellet. I see Pyramid has them on their site as a pre order item, available next month.

Yep I put a tin on my Pyramyd order a couple weeks ago. Just waiting along with everyone else. Was going to try them in my Prod. I’m not expecting any accuracy issues since my Prod likes the regular 15.89 grain JSBs. I’m curious how they’ll expand with a 14 foot pound set up. Not really expecting a whole lot on expansion honestly but I want to try them anyhow. Been looking at the getting the Marauder rifle also. So I can just save them for the more powerful rifle if their potential isn’t there with the little Prod. 

I have only bought one in my life, just recently as a matter of fact. I went with the competition electronics chronograph, as recommended to me by Tim Hill of Hill Airguns. I figured if a mover and a shaker of Marauder parts and testing his own parts is using that model, that’s good enough for me. I bought mine thru Midway, on sale for $95. Currently it’s at $115. I do all my testing inside my garage, so I bought the light kit so I wouldn’t have problems getting accurate readings, and also the wireless Bluetooth link. No matter how far the chronograph is away from me, it’s linked to both my iPhone or iPad, so I see the readings on both of those, along with a voice that tells me the speed of the shot, at each shot. There may be better ones out there with the tripod attachments and what not, but I didn’t need any of that misc stuff, as I like simple. Anyway, here are pics I pulled from midways site for you:

download.png
1553849338_2185680235c9ddbfa076045.37770721_3F7876AA-FD06-416F-B01E-62F62D986C97.jpeg

download.png
1553849338_16882515125c9ddbfa1fef06.71574971_13F51FF6-5489-47FC-B143-D51C589D443D.jpeg

download.png
1553849338_20411095295c9ddbfa3401b5.41497273_04D90A3B-E083-49D0-986E-68772B63A528.jpeg

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for that one. I bought my hand pump at Midway and their service and delivery were good. I did just order a tin of the Barracuda extremes but from Amazon, as they ended up cheaper than Midway with the free delivery - yes, now you know, I am a cheap b*%#tard...

Yep I put a tin on my Pyramyd order a couple weeks ago. Just waiting along with everyone else. Was going to try them in my Prod. I’m not expecting any accuracy issues since my Prod likes the regular 15.89 grain JSBs. I’m curious how they’ll expand with a 14 foot pound set up. Not really expecting a whole lot on expansion honestly but I want to try them anyhow. Been looking at the getting the Marauder rifle also. So I can just save them for the more powerful rifle if their potential isn’t there with the little Prod.

If you happen to end up with a few extra and want to do some sample pellet trading let me know. If you scroll up I have a pic of what pellets I have so far, and I just ordered some H&N Barracuda extremes that will be here tomorrow.

The 1st 100 Marauders had "match " triggers. 

Naturally the same trigger just an extra torsion spring added. Even if you do not want it any lighter it is a better trigger w/out said spring. 

Some fun Marauder stuff here:

https://avveduti.wordpress.com/tag/marauder/

that's a GEn 1 but that doesn't matter. Just scroll on down to "Maruader project - Lightening the trigger". Lot's of other good marauder info there also. You might read all about the $69.00 regulator too.

John

Congrats on the new air gun. My first pcp was an armada which is a marauder with a tactical look. It's a 25 caliber. I shot it for over 2 yrs without changing a single thing other than the butt stock, grip and some of the magpul furniture. Well last fall that all changed, I got bit by the bug and decided to upgrade it for more power. It has been completely upgraded and I just love it. I purchased a 22 refurb from field supply over the holidays and started all over again with a complete upgrade. It's about done and I'm really impressed with the 22 . Now that I'm done adding every upgrade I want, now its time to give my armada a different look and try my hand at applying gunskins vinyl gun wrap! LOL the rabbit hole is very real. I'm glad that I was able to enjoy it for a couple years getting used to my armada and how it shot at the factory level but I have found that as I upgrade the rifle the performance becomes pretty astounding. I'm always operating on a pretty tight budget and these two rifles have allowed me to pick and choose my upgrades and make them into real contenders. Its also very rewarding to be so familiar with them that I can break them down and put them back together in no time at all. I haven't had any experience with the higher end rifles but I'd find it hard to believe that they shoot so much better than the these two I have built. JMHO. Maybe someday I'll have a chance to own one of the higher dollar rifles and change my mind.

Congrats on the new air gun. My first pcp was an armada which is a marauder with a tactical look. It's a 25 caliber. I shot it for over 2 yrs without changing a single thing other than the butt stock, grip and some of the magpul furniture. Well last fall that all changed, I got bit by the bug and decided to upgrade it for more power. It has been completely upgraded and I just love it. I purchased a 22 refurb from field supply over the holidays and started all over again with a complete upgrade. It's about done and I'm really impressed with the 22 . Now that I'm done adding every upgrade I want, now its time to give my armada a different look and try my hand at applying gunskins vinyl gun wrap! LOL the rabbit hole is very real. I'm glad that I was able to enjoy it for a couple years getting used to my armada and how it shot at the factory level but I have found that as I upgrade the rifle the performance becomes pretty astounding. I'm always operating on a pretty tight budget and these two rifles have allowed me to pick and choose my upgrades and make them into real contenders. Its also very rewarding to be so familiar with them that I can break them down and put them back together in no time at all. I haven't had any experience with the higher end rifles but I'd find it hard to believe that they shoot so much better than the these two I have built. JMHO. Maybe someday I'll have a chance to own one of the higher dollar rifles and change my mind.

I would be interested in seeing your work on the 22, did you have a thread on that? I see on the forum lot of posts of these 100 yard near dime size groups with the FXs and other higher end rifles, were you able to get your upgraded Marauders to reach that level? 

Aimright - I own a Gen 2 Marauder and you might want to check the expectations. It's a great gun, but it's no Impact (which I also own). My experience is that a Marauder is a great 50 to 75 yard gun, but at 100 yards, the accuracy just hasn't been there. Now, if you care to prove me wrong, I'd be more than happy to copy whatever you do to get there.

The design of the Marauder is a group of compromises that make an excellent gun, but it works in some ways better than others. Remember, the Marauder is exactly the same guts for a .177, .22 and .25. The only difference are the Hammer spring, Hammer striker and transfer port settings. 

When I switched to JSB .22 18.3 Jumbo's, I could hit a quarter sized group at 75 yards. At 100 yards, no changes to anything, the groups opened up to 6 inches. Didn't matter what pellet, adjustments, just didn't matter. It got 30 shots per fill unless I tuned it like a .25 caliber then it got 16, just like the .25 is rated for.

I've been tinkering with it, bought a regulator, new hammer and valve springs, and such. Spent a fare bit on it, and now it's getting about twice the shots per fill, but so far, the accuracy isn't changed. Granted, I'm still tinkering, but realistically, having a 100 yard gun in the Marauder is a bit of a stretch.

If anyone can get a Marauder to the level of dime groups at 100 yards, please tell me how you did it! I'm willing to spend the money!

Aimright - I own a Gen 2 Marauder and you might want to check the expectations. It's a great gun, but it's no Impact (which I also own). My experience is that a Marauder is a great 50 to 75 yard gun, but at 100 yards, the accuracy just hasn't been there. Now, if you care to prove me wrong, I'd be more than happy to copy whatever you do to get there.

The design of the Marauder is a group of compromises that make an excellent gun, but it works in some ways better than others. Remember, the Marauder is exactly the same guts for a .177, .22 and .25. The only difference are the Hammer spring, Hammer striker and transfer port settings. 

When I switched to JSB .22 18.3 Jumbo's, I could hit a quarter sized group at 75 yards. At 100 yards, no changes to anything, the groups opened up to 6 inches. Didn't matter what pellet, adjustments, just didn't matter. It got 30 shots per fill unless I tuned it like a .25 caliber then it got 16, just like the .25 is rated for.

I've been tinkering with it, bought a regulator, new hammer and valve springs, and such. Spent a fare bit on it, and now it's getting about twice the shots per fill, but so far, the accuracy isn't changed. Granted, I'm still tinkering, but realistically, having a 100 yard gun in the Marauder is a bit of a stretch.

If anyone can get a Marauder to the level of dime groups at 100 yards, please tell me how you did it! I'm willing to spend the money!

Saltlake, Apologies if I touched a nerve of yours but I just meant to asked bearair how close his Marauder is getting towards the high dollar mark with his upgrades. I have no need to have high expectations for my Marauder, 50 yards will meet 95% of my needs. My son in law has a Fx Crown .25 that I have shot, so I am too familiar with the attributes of a higher end gun. That being said, I have seen a few Marauders on the forums that have been hot rodded to an extreme level where there are not many original parts left, and I would be curious to how close they can come to the upper crust airguns for range and accuracy.

I’m going to go out on a limb with my flame suit on, lol, and say that most folks in love with their marauders, such as myself, tend to not put any high dollar scopes on them, such as myself. Vortex Diamondback in a 4-12x40. But, you take the FX, Brockock, Edgun and Daystate folks, very rare do I see a Vortex low range, a Centerpoint, BSA low end scopes on them. Optics play a huge role in accuracy, and if you see the videos that Holdover Ted did back in the day of a Marauder combined with an expensive Hawk scope on there, he was getting pretty decent groups at a 100 yards. 

Id like to see one day a fully tuned, fully modded, Marauder(all the way to a LW barrel), and combine it with a high dollar, high quality optic, and I think a lot of folks will be surprised at the results at a 100 yards.

I’m going to go out on a limb with my flame suit on, lol, and say that most folks in love with their marauders, such as myself, tend to not put any high dollar scopes on them, such as myself. Vortex Diamondback in a 4-12x40. But, you take the FX, Brockock, Edgun and Daystate folks, very rare do I see a Vortex low range, a Centerpoint, BSA low end scopes on them. Optics play a huge role in accuracy, and if you see the videos that Holdover Ted did back in the day of a Marauder combined with an expensive Hawk scope on there, he was getting pretty decent groups at a 100 yards. 

Id like to see one day a fully tuned, fully modded, Marauder(all the way to a LW barrel), and combine it with a high dollar, high quality optic, and I think a lot of folks will be surprised at the results at a 100 yards.

Hey Bigragu, I did try the HN Barracuda Extremes per your recommendation, they are performing great in my gun. Thanks!

Saltlake, Apologies if I touched a nerve of yours but I just meant to asked bearair how close his Marauder is getting towards the high dollar mark with his upgrades. I have no need to have high expectations for my Marauder, 50 yards will meet 95% of my needs. My son in law has a Fx Crown .25 that I have shot, so I am too familiar with the attributes of a higher end gun. That being said, I have seen a few Marauders on the forums that have been hot rodded to an extreme level where there are not many original parts left, and I would be curious to how close they can come to the upper crust airguns for range and accuracy.

No nerve touched, I just misunderstood. Thanks for the explanation, it's just when I see people expecting a Marauder to shoot like a high dollar gun, I'm inclined to want to check expectations. I am also working on my marauder at the moment, but tuning down for efficiency. That's the great thing about a Marauder, it's incredibly flexible. If I found another Marauder at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

Still, if anyone can get a Marauder to shoot 100 yards at 1 MOA, please tell me how!!! I'd e excited to follow and take my budget gun and make it shoot like an Impact.

Best shooting to you!

My first Marauder was a .22 Gen 1. I had a BSA 4-14 FFP scope on it and a LW barrel. Everything else was stock. On a calm day it would shoot sub-1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with JSB 18.1g pellets. Air pressure was critical. 

My buddy just shot his .22 Gen 1 Mrod with the sister LW barrel and UTG 3-12 scope at my house the other night. He hit 4 shots at 100 yards in a group the size of my thumb nail, the 5th shot was a bit away.