Umarex My Notos first impressions

I've added a 380mm fx stx superior liner and the c88 machining plenum and fx barrel adapter kit. Adjusted the regulator to 150bar/2175psi and set the hammer screw about 1¾turns in from factory setting. I'm shooting jts 16.08/fx15.9 @ 781. Drop block and 2200 psi output regulator on a 360cc bottle is next. Let me know how those CARM Mags perform. I prefer single loading over the stock magazine (2nd shot dumper while loading mechanism). I find it wild that the buck rail moderator is the ONLY mod I have that hushed the bark. tatsu, "fx", and tanto dfl's did nothing.

View attachment 478491
i have a buddy that said the same about the moderators.

i have a buddy that said the same about the moderators.
100%. If I had any others I'd try them, but, 100-220$ mods are something I can't afford to just fiddle-fu** around with. Of the ones I've tried, and as of this weekend add a fox and a Huma 4/0-40 still the $40 buckrail mod does the best job. however the fit is shi*. Can't tighten the bucky down without pulling the breech end of the barrel past flush. So the donnyfl Tanto is what I'm using. The EZ LOK thread insert Is too deep in, the mouth of the buckrail is wide open to accept the insert. So it pushes back against the tension fit shroud and slips the actual barrel out.. If they could fix that. Oh man.
The DFL is on the loud end of backyard friendly. The buckrail is acceptable. Still nowhere near as quiet as my fx's. The .25 dreamline shooting 34gr at 900 is not as loud unmoderated as the now 15" barreled notos moderated.

Edit: after adjusting the reg to 2200 and chamfering the hole from the plenum into the valve both sides I am shooting my velo is up to 820s on H&N baracuda 15 15.89s. I plan to open that hole to 4.0 to 4.3mm, as well as widening and chamfering the transfer port hole. In my mind that might accelerate the air a tiny bit more I'd I understand the venturi effect correctly. I am a neophyte at this.

(I lightened the valve spring by clipping a tiny tad off and added a bit to the hs) on the tube i refill every 14 now.

Why do the JTS 16.08 AND H&N baracuda 15 have higher velocity than the JSB/FX/AA Pellets of the same weight class 15.9gr? Substantial differences for me. Routinely the jts are 8-12fps faster and the h&N as much as 25 but about 15avg. Max with the h&n I've gotten 820.9. With the jsb 794.5

Last edited:
Would that be the Zelos? I was just watching something (YouTube prob) that was tagged Notos so I was watching that and the UX rep demo'd the Zelos as the step up... $599 I believe was the price point on the basic model.

The Zelos is the M60B with a tube instead of a bottle. They preceed the Notos and are not a replacement. They are however, amazing guns and with the bullpup design, they can stuff a 24" long barrel in there!

PM Firewalker if you want a bottle conversion

Thank you for the bump!

I also sell magazines by Tango Sierra for the Notos. 12 & 15 shot and they ship next day!

In my view, it's silly to waste time comparing the Notos to other guns. It's a unique gun in that it's lightweight, short, accurate, quiet, cheap, adjustable LOP, easy to hand-pump.

Sure, the trigger sucks, the lawyers force that on companies and it's easy to work on the trigger to dial that in.

The real joy of the Notos is the ease of modification. The receiver is solid, the bolt/probe is a good design, the gun lends itself to modification and boring out the air path for more air and higher regulator pressures.

Because I'm personally wired to find performance gains in mechanical devices, I've been chasing the dream of a 50fpe Notos for the past year and have been converting Notos as a byproduct.

Here is a solid 40fpe Notos with an FX 700mm kit, porting to 4.5mm and a Cricket Z-block with plenum and .48L carbon fiber bottle.

20240522_190344.jpg

100%. If I had any others I'd try them, but, 100-220$ mods are something I can't afford to just fiddle-fu** around with. Of the ones I've tried, and as of this weekend add a fox and a Huma 4/0-40 still the $40 buckrail mod does the best job. however the fit is shi*. Can't tighten the bucky down without pulling the breech end of the barrel past flush. So the donnyfl Tanto is what I'm using. The EZ LOK thread insert Is too deep in, the mouth of the buckrail is wide open to accept the insert. So it pushes back against the tension fit shroud and slips the actual barrel out.. If they could fix that. Oh man.
The DFL is on the loud end of backyard friendly. The buckrail is acceptable. Still nowhere near as quiet as my fx's. The .25 dreamline shooting 34gr at 900 is not as loud unmoderated as the now 15" barreled notos moderated.

Edit: after adjusting the reg to 2200 and chamfering the hole from the plenum into the valve both sides I am shooting my velo is up to 820s on H&N baracuda 15 15.89s. I plan to open that hole to 4.0 to 4.3mm, as well as widening and chamfering the transfer port hole. In my mind that might accelerate the air a tiny bit more I'd I understand the venturi effect correctly. I am a neophyte at this.

(I lightened the valve spring by clipping a tiny tad off and added a bit to the hs) on the tube i refill every 14 now.

Why do the JTS 16.08 AND H&N baracuda 15 have higher velocity than the JSB/FX/AA Pellets of the same weight class 15.9gr? Substantial differences for me. Routinely the jts are 8-12fps faster and the h&N as much as 25 but about 15avg. Max with the h&n I've gotten 820.9. With the jsb 794.5

Looks like you need a Long John moderator.

20240628_171515.jpg

Looks like you need a Long John moderator.

View attachment 480217
Just need to remove .200" on the bottom of the EZ-Lok and ³/¹⁶" off the rear of the buckrail mod.

I have the fx barrel mod but for 380mm. Did you not notice the muzzle plug threads can be used to leverage against the barrel sleeve and pulling the breech end forward slightly?

Just need to remove .200" on the bottom of the EZ-Lok and ³/¹⁶" off the rear of the buckrail mod.

I have the fx barrel mod but for 380mm. Did you not notice the muzzle plug threads can be used to leverage against the barrel sleeve and pulling the breech end forward slightly?

In all transparency, I use EZ-locks now on all my moderator housing removals on Notos for customers and I run them through the lathe to face them with the housing so that it's all flat and I'll do that with BR and Long John's too.

As far as pulling the liner jam nut against the shroud, that's called tensioning and can reap smaller groupings. That's a good thing!

Just make sure your receiver grub is well seated first.

In all transparency, I use EZ-locks now on all my moderator housing removals on Notos for customers and I run them through the lathe to face them with the housing so that it's all flat and I'll do that with BR and Long John's too.

As far as pulling the liner jam nut against the shroud, that's called tensioning and can reap smaller groupings. That's a good thing!

Just make sure your receiver grub is well seated first.
Yes I know. Read my post prior to that. I know it's called tensioning. If I tightened the grub any further I'm afraid I'd strip it..

Do you know the pitch of the breech grub?

the jts and barracuda likely has enough weight and/or possibly fit a little more snugly inside the barrel which will keep them in there longer for the air to transfer more energy to the pellet before leaving the barrel. mine does the same

the jts and barracuda likely has enough weight and/or possibly fit a little more snugly inside the barrel which will keep them in there longer for the air to transfer more energy to the pellet before leaving the barrel. mine does the same
Maybe. I had assumed it had something to do with the harder, less... grabby? Lead alloy, both the jts and Cuda are harder and shinier. The exact and copies load snugger than most. The stock barrel and the fx superior behave different.

Stock barrel with jsb 15.89 I got consistent
.5" groups at 25-35, rarely a flier.

The jts as well were rather tight although closer to .7"

The cudas were grouping almost single hole except ALWAYS a wayward or two pellet per magazine. I assumed spiraling but head variations maybe?

The superior packs the exacts in single hole groups.

The h&ns have a little bit more vertical and horizontal stringing but nothing to ignore. Rarely a sparrow lives within 40y.

Today I'm trying benjamin single die 14.3

jts 18.1
Hades(15.89)
Jumbo express 14.3
And H&N slug hp .217-21gr.

Got the plenum kit from c88machining. I am quite underwhelmed by it, at least the plenum itself.

So some numbers:
All shooting was done with 14.3gr Crossman hollows. I'm cheap. All numbers is based off 17 shots.
No mod (+2.5 HS):
FPE: 17.5
AVG: 744
SD: 1
W/ mod (+2.5 HS):
FPE: 18.2
AVG: 758
SD: 2.4
W/ mod (HS at factory):
FPE: 17.9
AVG: 752
SD: 2.5
W/ mod (HS all out):
FPE: 18.7
AVG: 768
SD: 1.9

So, a very small change to FPS. The SD isn't as good but it is still well within acceptable. But what about shot count... I get 2 more shots, from 17 to 19. Strange thing is it stayed 19 shots no matter where the HS was. I am unsure if this was the case without the mod though (I just set it to +2.5 and never changed it). I suppose I should not have expected much, it is quite a small change to the gun (only an extra 15cc). It isn't as though I put an all new bottle on the thing. I did do a few shots of Hunter Extremes (ran out before good testing), I got FPE of 21.

But lets talk about something I really did like. The barrel mod. And you do need to do it to use the new plenum in the kit, if you don't the tube will hit the old modulator.
I won't go into installation, there are a few YT videos that cover this, but I will say two things.
First, f that mfing modulator. That thing was a pain to get off. I tried to be nice to it and just use a dremal, carefully taking it off. After getting pass the retaining ring I discovered there was another farther back. After getting that one out of the way, I found that there is a small shelf built into the barrel that the modulator kind of hugs onto. After that I stopped being nice and took the reciprocating saw to it... Carefully.
And the second thing, Make sure your your barrel lines up exactly when putting it back on. I was slightly off on putting that grub screw back and it dropped my fps by 100, really that is on me.

Anyways, the modulator delete mod (really not sure what to call this, mod delete mod?) is really nice. They really should have made the gun this way. It is so much shorter without that modulator on (and extremely short without the stock on) and the ability to throw my own on is really nice. It is very loud without a modulator though. I would say as loud as a .22, maybe louder. I do wish the mod came with a thread protector though.

IMG_20240719_151059441.jpg

IMG_20240719_151037769.jpg

FYI, the second image has a modulator I 3d printed on it. Makes it backyard friendly. Not quite as quiet as the factory one but it is a little shorter.

Final thoughts (aka TLDR). The 15cc plenum really doesn't add a lot to the gun. I could get the extended 30cc plenum that attaches to the one I got but I think I'm good with it as it is now. If I do that I might as well just do the bottle conversion.
The star of the kit is really the modulator delete. If you have the tools and will to remove that sucker, I say just get this mod and pass on the plenum. It makes the gun the way it should have been.

I'm pretty happy with the gun as it is now, didn't quite reach the numbers I was looking for but I think I'm ok with that. Only thing I am likely to do is get a folding stock for it. And I might do a bottle conversion down the line, idk.

Last edited:
Reactions: $p00kygH0ST
Got the plenum kit from c88machining. I am quite underwhelmed by it, at least the plenum itself.

So some numbers:
All shooting was done with 14.3gr Crossman hollows. I'm cheap. All numbers is based off 17 shots.
No mod (+2.5 HS):
FPE: 17.5
AVG: 744
SD: 1
W/ mod (+2.5 HS):
FPE: 18.2
AVG: 758
SD: 2.4
W/ mod (HS at factory):
FPE: 17.9
AVG: 752
SD: 2.5
W/ mod (HS all out):
FPE: 18.7
AVG: 768
SD: 1.9

So, a very small change to FPS. The SD isn't as good but it is still well within acceptable. But what about shot count... I get 2 more shots, from 17 to 19. Strange thing is it stayed 19 shots no matter where the HS was. I am unsure if this was the case without the mod though (I just set it to +2.5 and never changed it). I suppose I should not have expected much, it is quite a small change to the gun (only an extra 15cc). It isn't as though I put an all new bottle on the thing. I did do a few shots of Hunter Extremes (ran out before good testing), I got FPE of 21.

But lets talk about something I really did like. The barrel mod. And you do need to do it to use the new plenum in the kit, if you don't the tube will hit the old modulator.
I won't go into installation, there are a few YT videos that cover this, but I will say two things.
First, f that mfing modulator. That thing was a pain to get off. I tried to be nice to it and just use a dremal, carefully taking it off. After getting pass the retaining ring I discovered there was another farther back. After getting that one out of the way, I found that there is a small shelf built into the barrel that the modulator kind of hugs onto. After that I stopped being nice and took the reciprocating saw to it... Carefully.
And the second thing, Make sure your your barrel lines up exactly when putting it back on. I was slightly off on putting that grub screw back and it dropped my fps by 100, really that is on me.

Anyways, the modulator delete mod (really not sure what to call this, mod delete mod?) is really nice. They really should have made the gun this way. It is so much shorter without that modulator on (and extremely short without the stock on) and the ability to throw my own on is really nice. It is very loud without a modulator though. I would say as loud as a .22, maybe louder. I do wish the mod came with a thread protector though.

View attachment 481063
View attachment 481064
FYI, the second image has a modulator I 3d printed on it. Makes it backyard friendly. Not quite as quite as the factory one but it is a little shorter.

Final thoughts (aka TLDR). The 15cc plenum really doesn't add a lot to the gun. I could get the extended 30cc plenum that attaches to the one I got but I think I'm good with it as it is now. If I do that I might as well just do the bottle conversion.
The star of the kit is really the modulator delete. If you have the tools and will to remove that sucker, I say just get this mod and pass on the plenum. It makes the gun the way it should have been.

I'm pretty happy with the gun as it is now, didn't quite reach the numbers I was looking for but I think I'm ok with that. Only thing I am likely to do is get a folding stock for it. And I might do a bottle conversion down the line, idk.
I talked to chan after I bought the plenum from him on ebay and he said 18-25 is about the average real gain. I was at 730 with 15.89 exact before the plenum literally gained exactly what you did. Bumped to 752-755 with it. When I put on the fx barrel (380mil) it went to 770-775. The 2200psi reg got it to 791/794 avg. I'll let you know what I get from the 66 and transfer port widening. and already widened the opening in the barrel port.

Reactions: phoenix_cow
I suggest if you haven't to REALLY spend some time on the HS. Take the stock off. Back it all the way out.. start making 1/12 turns. You will find a spot that the SD goes to insanely small and consistent. You'll likely lose a few fps. But one hole groups and 4-5fps SD Is priceless.

Did find on the stock reg the best accuracy and consistency from 3100-2100 psi?

I suggest if you haven't to REALLY spend some time on the HS. Take the stock off. Back it all the way out.. start making 1/12 turns. You will find a spot that the SD goes to insanely small and consistent. You'll likely lose a few fps. But one hole groups and 4-5fps SD Is priceless.
Yeah, I plan on fine tuning the HS. I just set it to max, factory, and what I had set to before mods just to see how they look fps wise. I didn't even pay attention to accuracy.
I was using my cheap plinking pellets and I'm out of any good hunting pellets. I saw no reason to fine tune for a pellet I don't plan on using for real. I'm waiting for my airgundepot reward points to redeem so I can get a tin of 500 Hades for basically nothing.

I have a tin of FX atomic and jumbo monster and jumbo heavies arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know which one works best since atomic are just rebranded hades. So far it's jsb 15.89 exacts - @ 791 giving me .39"-.57" groups at 35y. H&N Cuda 15s aren't bad. But always seems to be a flier. Other than that .6"s give or take a tiny bit minus the flier.

Here's what I'm working with right now. Airarcheryfun was out of the dropblock they sell. And honestly I was too dumb to realize it's the same as the ones on ebay. So I ordered this one from Murph. I had to crank it so man hard that it marred the body through the leather strap i used to protect it from the 18" pipe wrench. I'm buying the zvalve off ebay. Waiting now

20240716_162806.jpg

Reactions: phoenix_cow