Umarex My Notos first impressions

Yeah, I plan on fine tuning the HS. I just set it to max, factory, and what I had set to before mods just to see how they look fps wise. I didn't even pay attention to accuracy.
I was using my cheap plinking pellets and I'm out of any good hunting pellets. I saw no reason to fine tune for a pellet I don't plan on using for real. I'm waiting for my airgundepot reward points to redeem so I can get a tin of 500 Hades for basically nothing.
Well. Hades were a definite F YES with the notos... pic related (35y) thats 3 7 shot groups, .5" circles. Group one is center 1st target (left to right) slight right on paper is also a "seasoning" group. Center target is "seasoned". Right target is just 2 shots. After I shot one POA dead center in the shoot n see dot and I Gave it a few clicks of left windage.
20240720_153540.jpg

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
1000005007.jpg

Jsb exact 15.9 and benjamin 14.3 single die. I shot the first group of Benjamin's. Same exact point of aim. Dead center of drawn target... didn't do too well. I had originally intended to do jsbs. But I had made it Wednesday and my package with the hades didn't come as expected. And ended up shooting this AM today.

The superior liner DID NOT like the Benjamin's

Reactions: phoenix_cow
I'm currently in the process of 3D printing a folding stock, this may take some time. I ran into a small problem though.
I can't seem to be able to remove the butt stock from the original "buffer tube" on the notos. I really like the stock on the notos and it would save me money from having to buy another.
On a normal ar style buttstock you just hold a pin up and it slides off. This doesn't seem to be the case for the notos. There does seem to be a pin. But I had it up as far as can be and nothing.
Does anyone know what I might be missing here?

I'm currently in the process of 3D printing a folding stock, this may take some time. I ran into a small problem though.
I can't seem to be able to remove the butt stock from the original "buffer tube" on the notos. I really like the stock on the notos and it would save me money from having to buy another.
On a normal ar style buttstock you just hold a pin up and it slides off. This doesn't seem to be the case for the notos. There does seem to be a pin. But I had it up as far as can be and nothing.
Does anyone know what I might be missing here?
It's not an exact AR spec. Just so you know if you did buy one. It would leave you disappointed. There's two pins on the adjustment lever on this one. I notice the threading seems to stop just shy of it allowing full travel to be completely free of the tube. Just tinker with it.

In all transparency, I use EZ-locks now on all my moderator housing removals on Notos for customers and I run them through the lathe to face them with the housing so that it's all flat and I'll do that with BR and Long John's too.

As far as pulling the liner jam nut against the shroud, that's called tensioning and can reap smaller groupings. That's a good thing!

Just make sure your receiver grub is well seated first.
It was the fact I was using the stock barrel grub. It allowed the moderator to pull the barrel out from tensioning. I bought a longer one and filed the point more severely. It's locked in and is delivering insanely tight groups. But to use longer grub you sacrifice the original rail... not a sacrifice... slapped on a dovetail to pic rail, went from 2.5" sight Height to 2.68" above bore(68mm). The original rail does seem to cause pretty substantial POI shifts. It can and does wiggle even with the screw tight

It's not an exact AR spec. Just so you know if you did buy one. It would leave you disappointed. There's two pins on the adjustment lever on this one. I notice the threading seems to stop just shy of it allowing full travel to be completely free of the tube. Just tinker with it.
Yeah, I'm going to give up on taking it off. Really giving me problems and I don't have a pin punch to take out the spring and other bits off to make it come off.
The 3D model is for mil spec so unless I change it it likely won't work anyways. And changing it will be a pain.
I could make it so that the buffer tube on the notos screws into the folding stock. But I learned from making my modulator that getting the thread pitch exactly right is a real pain in the ass. Also metal on plastic connections isn't the greatest, run a high risk of stripping the threads on the plastic end.

Strange decision not to just make it a AR buffer tube. I guess I'll just use the butt stock on my AR for now.

Yeah, I'm going to give up on taking it off. Really giving me problems and I don't have a pin punch to take out the spring and other bits off to make it come off.
The 3D model is for mil spec so unless I change it it likely won't work anyways. And changing it will be a pain.
I could make it so that the buffer tube on the notos screws into the folding stock. But I learned from making my modulator that getting the thread pitch exactly right is a real pain in the ass. Also metal on plastic connections isn't the greatest, run a high risk of stripping the threads on the plastic end.

Strange decision not to just make it a AR buffer tube. I guess I'll just use the butt stock on my AR for now.
I'd wager to guess that it's the same reasoning that airsoft guns use off spec buffers and receivers..

On ebay they've got the buckrail stuff for folders. What is really ridiculous is the cost of picatinny stocks. A UMP or AK74S triangle sidefolder would be beautiful on the notos

Assembled my folding stock. Has reduced it's size to 12 1/2 inches, folded and with modulator on. I made the modulator quite a bit shorter, surprisingly enough it didn't really impact the sound that much.
I used the 3d file from here. I did modify it a bit. Mostly the grip, they were way to large for my hands. I made them so you can take off the sides of the grip and replace them with smaller or larger ones.
I plan on changing the release button a little, looks really rough right now. Also want to make it so that the bolt/nut will be indented in, that way it won't snag on anything.

It works very well. The buttstock is very tight on the tube, makes no noise when you shake it but is loose enough to move without having to force it. I do have to press the button to lock it in place, but it seems secure when it is locked in. It does move a bit when folded, trying to find a way to fix that.

The scope on it is temporary, I haven't decided on what to mount on it yet.

IMG_20240726_133923190.jpg

Reactions: Reg Creep

If you stick 2 small screwdrivers in on both sides where the pin houses, you can use the screwdrivers’ leverage to push the pin further out than when using the pushbutton. And with a little wiggle (keep the buffertube in a vise) the buttstock should come off.

Ps. The commonly used denominator for an airgun silencer is moderator, not modulator. Of course you can call it anything you want, but it sounds weird… (like when you would name a trigger ’the puller’)

This mornings test. Took off the stock foreend/pic rail as I noticed every time I'd rest the rifle somewhere or lay it on the bags the POI would shift enough to cause misses. I bought some dovetail to pic rails and had a few sessions. No shifts at all and the grouping tightened. So it's official, JUMBO EXACT,JTS 16.08 (jsb exact clone) and hades love it. Same group characteristics at 35y too
20240727_122149.jpg

Edit: these are 7 shot groups.

The commonly used denominator for an airgun silencer is moderator, not modulator.
I do know they are called moderators, just ignore my me when I say modulator. I work with electronics. I use the word modulator frequently, so I kind of just type it out when I am trying to say moderator. My mind is dumb like that sometimes.

Reactions: MartinT
Okay I found a slug that doesn't drag you down to near 590fps to group dimes at 50.

I know everyone's seen Ted Bier's notos vid. It's what convinced me to get one...

Instead of 21 or 23 .217.... I found INCREDIBLE results with the 17.5gr .2175" slugs. And I mean maybe 2.5 caliber width groups at most. Same hole capability. That's with my FX and STOCK barrel. With stock you're looking at 630-645fps with the .380mm fx superior it was at 688fps average for the 30 shot string Iet off. Most shots were within a 4 fps slot. Highest I got was 692. Lowest 683. Every single group I shot after adjusting windage was .35" or better ctc at 18.5, 25 and 30 were as small as .403" biggest .610"
20240729_203827.jpg

400 slugs for $21.99 from AOA (free shipping on NSA and several other slugs).

Will video some grouping through scope when new phone arrives Thursday or fri

Last edited:
Added a UTG over bore bipod. Works great. Got it for $137 on amazon, seems to be currently on sale. I likely would not have bought it for full price. Although, after using it I would say it is worth full price ($185). It is quite hard to find over bore bipods, at least ones reasonably priced. I may even buy a few adapters to use it on my other guns.
IMG_20240729_160454943.jpg

I found INCREDIBLE results with the 17.5gr .2175" slugs. And I mean maybe 2.5 caliber width groups at most. Same hole capability. That's with my FX and STOCK barrel. With stock you're looking at 630-645fps with the .380mm fx superior it was at 688fps average for the 30 shot string Iet off. Most shots were within a 4 fps slot. Highest I got was 692. Lowest 683. Every single group I shot after adjusting windage was .5" or better ctc
I've been trying the 17.5gr and the 23gr as well. But so far I haven't had much luck with them. I'll mess with them more next weekend, maybe I just need to tune the HS a bit to get them right.

Added a UTG over bore bipod. Works great. Got it for $137 on amazon, seems to be currently on sale. I likely would not have bought it for full price. Although, after using it I would say it is worth full price ($185). It is quite hard to find over bore bipods, at least ones reasonably priced. I may even buy a few adapters to use it on my other guns.
View attachment 483964

I've been trying the 17.5gr and the 23gr as well. But so far I haven't had much luck with them. I'll mess with them more next weekend, maybe I just need to tune the HS a bit to get them right.
Yes, you do. Also adjust your reg to 2200-2250

Edit. You got the 217 or 2175?
I had to order "218" on the 17.5 on aoa to get the .2175

View attachment 483964

Awesome looks! I have the “Ted setup” (Airfoce over bore bipod), but I have massive POI shifts as the barrel/shroud of the Notos is really not rigid enough to counter the slight bending when gripping and holding the gun. This POI shift is even more exagerrated as my scope (a Zulus) is only mounted on the small rear picatinny piece of the Notos, while of course the bipod is located on the long rail up front. As such the setup is actually really unuseable…) Whats your experience with your setup? (your scope mount is located much more upfront, the effect of bending might be less of a factor as the scope (POA) moves with the POi)

Last edited:
Awesome looks! I have the “Ted setup” (Airfoce over bore bipod), but I have massive POI shifts as the barrel/shroud of the Notos is really not rigid enough to counter the slight bending when gripping and holding the gun. This POI shift is even more exagerrated as my scope (a Zulus) is only mounted on the small rear picatinny piece of the Notos, while of course the bipod is located on the long rail up front. As such the setup is actually really unuseable…) Whats your experience with your setup? (your scope mount is located much more upfront, the effect of bending might be less of a factor as the scope (POA) moves with the POi)
I haven't shot it very much yet with it set up this way, I haven't had time to shoot much. But it seems fine. I haven't noticed any POI shifts (what little I have shot). I'll have to get back to you after I shoot it more next weekend.

Only problem I have run into is the fact that I mounted it directly where my fill probe goes so I have move the legs to fill it. As for the bipod itself, it feels good to use. The quick detach thing is great. If I'm traveling with it or just don't want to use it it is simple to take it off. It is quite low, I don't see it at all when using the scope. It feels really rugged, but not very heavy.
But I have a few complains about it:
Left right pan is not great, think it is only 22 degrees. It is also very stiff but I think this could be fixed by just unscrewing a hex screw a little.
Legs do not rotate all the way back. I heard that there is a small pin that you can pull out to fixes this, I haven't tried this yet so I don't know. Really strange that they did this in the first place.
The legs are quite far apart, I never used an over bore bipod so maybe this is normal. I can see this being a problem in the field with limited space to plant it.

I'm
I found the POI shifts irreconcilable and divorced from the original forend and rail altogether. Ordered a 9 slot dovetail to pic rail and mounted direct to receiver. solid POI no shift at all anymore. All the groups I posted were achieved as currently set up
20240730_201736.jpg

I ordered that drop block as a fill in
Waiting on dropblock regulator to finish being clocked

Last edited:
17.5gr .2175 slugs came in. Shoot way better then the .217. Amazing how much a .0005 difference can make. Hades also came in and it looks like those are going to be my go to pellets. They shoot extremely well out of my Notos.
I did have some POI shifts after shooting today. But after shooting I noticed my scope rings were not tightened down to spec, so that could have been causing it. I'll tighten down the screw holding the rail in place tomorrow as well.
I really hope that is the problem, I really would not like to have to get rid of the pic rail to eliminate the problem. I've grown to really like this bipod.

Reactions: daddypaddy