My P-17 showed up today

• Thread starter Deleted member 46449
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46449

Well, the P-17 was delivered earlier today. All I have done is take it out of the package and look it over. I'm kind of impressed. For a $35 gun, it has decent heft to it. Not quite like holding a Glock, but it does have heft. The sights on this thing put the sights on my 1377 to shame. Again, for a $35 gun, these are pretty nice sights. I obviously haven't shot it yet, but the pull on the trigger seems very comfortable to me.

Now, I need to quit screwing around and get my trap set up in the garage. I can't do it for a couple of days. I had some surgery this afternoon that I didn't know I was having. I thought I was just going in for a preliminary appointment. Oops! So maybe later this week I'll get things together and get a few rounds downrange.

Well, the P-17 was delivered earlier today. All I have done is take it out of the package and look it over. I'm kind of impressed. For a $35 gun, it has decent heft to it. Not quite like holding a Glock, but it does have heft. The sights on this thing put the sights on my 1377 to shame. Again, for a $35 gun, these are pretty nice sights. I obviously haven't shot it yet, but the pull on the trigger seems very comfortable to me.

Now, I need to quit screwing around and get my trap set up in the garage. I can't do it for a couple of days. I had some surgery this afternoon that I didn't know I was having. I thought I was just going in for a preliminary appointment. Oops! So maybe later this week I'll get things together and get a few rounds downrange.
You'll love it. You may find you want to wear a light glove on the hand you use on the cocking lever. If you do a lot of shooting at one sitting you may find blisters forming. Also be careful not to pinch your hand when closing the cocking lever/"slide". Regards

Last edited:
You'll love it. You may find you want to wear a light glove on the hand you use on the cocking lever. If you do a lot of shooting at one sitting you may find blisters forming. Also be careful not to pinch your hand when closing the cocking lever/"slide". Regards
Sounds like fun.. post some groups on that bad boy... Love to see'em.

I use a rag folded in my palm to ease the cocking pain..😉 ( break barrel pistols)..

Yeah, I've seen that mentioned a few times now. Sounds like advice I might want to heed.

Once sighted in, loctite the elevation screw

That sounds like experience speaking. I'll just assume, and probably rightfully so, that's something I should definitely do. Thanks for that bit of info.

I'm hoping to have my trap and part of the garage all ready to go by the weekend. That's if everything goes well. I've got a few irons in the fire right now. I'm 99.9% sure I know exactly where to get what I need. I just need to go do it now.

Lol.. ya i had a multi pump that could give a guy a nice painful blood blister.. thems no fun..😭. I took a look at a vid on the gun as well..

Biggest issue with my pistols is i tend to go through more pellets .. lol. It can be hard to put down . If its one you enjoy using there more fun then a barrel full of gamos..😜

A few years ago, I bought 24 of them at $7.50 each on Amazon. Gave away most of them as gifts and gave 6 of them to a GTA member as "prizes" for a get together in LA (lower Alabama).

Then I was banned from GTA... for good reason at the time... (sigh)

Anyway, I still have about ~6 of them. Great shooters and very accurate if you practice with them. I found them to not be really pellet picky, but each pellet will have a different POI.

Average FPS was ~400fps.

Be aware that the rear sight WILL lose adjustment, so you *may* want to put a red-dot sight on it. Yes, they are worthy of a decent red-dot sight.

Have fun! (smile)

The mod25sc i got is a fun gun. When i first got it i picked it up and shook it and it was loose and rattling . I was like ya, that aint hitting nothing stright.. wrong... I was pretty impressed or it exceeded my expectations.. one of my fave's

I'm glad somebody else said that about the Mod 25 before I did. Every time I pick it up I just get this funny feeling about it. It just seems awkward or too plastic like. I wasn't going to say anything until after I shot it, but since you brought it up, thanks. It just doesn't have a real high quality feel to it. I wrote it off as my still being tuned into my powder guns. If you had been holding and shooting a Glock, S&W, Taurus, or other similar handgun, then picked the Mod 25 up, it would really be noticeable. I'm still looking forward to shooting it. It's going to be a real learning experience when I do. I have that Red Dot on it now and I've never used a Red Dot, not even on a friend's gun. I've sighted through the thing here in the living room and it's AWFULLY easy to move that dot around the sight by barely moving your eye. I'll learn, I guess. LOL!

I'm glad somebody else said that about the Mod 25 before I did. Every time I pick it up I just get this funny feeling about it. It just seems awkward or too plastic like. I wasn't going to say anything until after I shot it, but since you brought it up, thanks. It just doesn't have a real high quality feel to it. I wrote it off as my still being tuned into my powder guns. If you had been holding and shooting a Glock, S&W, Taurus, or other similar handgun, then picked the Mod 25 up, it would really be noticeable. I'm still looking forward to shooting it. It's going to be a real learning experience when I do. I have that Red Dot on it now and I've never used a Red Dot, not even on a friend's gun. I've sighted through the thing here in the living room and it's AWFULLY easy to move that dot around the sight by barely moving your eye. I'll learn, I guess. LOL!
Ya, saddly i cleaned up a bunch of group pictures of it at 10m to 50 y.. youd never think it would shoot as good as it will.. i got posts on it at gta ( like share your groups thread and what not) maybe one or two here as well..

Heres one 50y shooting cphp just as is i dont think for a break barrel pistol on factory sights outdoors thats bad at all , then what do i know ?

You cant really rest it proper or you throw off that recoil reduction sliding action then that throws it all off ...

hatsan25sc,50yardertry.jpg

Reactions: drpietrzak
Ya, saddly i cleaned up a bunch of group pictures of it at 10m to 50 y.. youd never think it would shoot as good as it will.. i got posts on it at gta ( like share your groups thread and what not) maybe one or two here as well..

Heres one 50y shooting cphp just as is i dont think for a break barrel pistol on factory sights outdoors thats bad at all , then what do i know ?

You cant really rest it proper or you throw off that recoil reduction sliding action then that throws it all off ...

Not too bad for 50 yards! My problem with any long range shooting is that I just don't have an area around me that will allow that. Being from Pudunk, IL means there are no shooting ranges, indoor OR outdoor. Actually, there is a range within 3 miles of me, but it has been permanently closed by local law enforcement. You'll love this. The range was there for about 5 oy 6 years, then somebody bought a 20 or 30 acre area adjacent to the range. The new owners bought the ground for horseback riding. They put in a big pole barn for indoor riding and then had riding trails cut through the wooded area behind the pole barn. Once that was done, the owner of the horse barn filed suit against the owners of the range claiming the loud noise bothered the horses and they were afraid a stray round would hit somebody or a horse. Yep, you guessed it, the horses won out and they closed the range. Most of the local gun owners like to say that the horse's ass won. LOL! I guess it depends on whether you like to shoot or ride.

Glad to hear your P17 arrived. When you cock the pistol rest it on your thigh. It will make cocking a lot easier. Put blue loctite on both the windage and elevation screws. Enjoy your new pistol.

I got that Loctite recommendation locked in my head now. I need to look in the garage to see if I still have some Loctite. Seems like I had to buy some for a push mower I was working on for somebody a while back. I'll probably never find it and if I do, it'll probably be dried out. That's the way things usually work out for me. I'll remember that "on the thigh" suggestion too. Thanks.

Not too bad for 50 yards! My problem with any long range shooting is that I just don't have an area around me that will allow that. Being from Pudunk, IL means there are no shooting ranges, indoor OR outdoor. Actually, there is a range within 3 miles of me, but it has been permanently closed by local law enforcement. You'll love this. The range was there for about 5 oy 6 years, then somebody bought a 20 or 30 acre area adjacent to the range. The new owners bought the ground for horseback riding. They put in a big pole barn for indoor riding and then had riding trails cut through the wooded area behind the pole barn. Once that was done, the owner of the horse barn filed suit against the owners of the range claiming the loud noise bothered the horses and they were afraid a stray round would hit somebody or a horse. Yep, you guessed it, the horses won out and they closed the range. Most of the local gun owners like to say that the horse's ass won. LOL! I guess it depends on whether you like to shoot or ride.

I got that Loctite recommendation locked in my head now. I need to look in the garage to see if I still have some Loctite. Seems like I had to buy some for a push mower I was working on for somebody a while back. I'll probably never find it and if I do, it'll probably be dried out. That's the way things usually work out for me. I'll remember that "on the thigh" suggestion too. Thanks.
Ya, i believe it.. outsiders move in and ...... Then ....... Lived here all my life and i got to chang to please a transplant that just moved here .. like ny or cal. Types the worse.. you become a stranger in your own lifetime town...lol

The 50 was a stretch and as is the max i could even group with in reason.. mostly 10m to 25y with 10m the most . I shoot critters like this bird one at 20 +/-

hat25,bird,20y,cphp.177.png

Well, when you buy the new bottle you're guaranteed to find the old one. And it probably won't even be dried out when you do find it. That's how it is at my house. if I misplace something, all I need to do is go buy a new one and I'll find the old one shortly after. Of course it'll be too late to return the new one because when I finally find the old one I will have already used the new one. And when it comes to glue or paint or something like that, both containers will be dried out when I need them and know where I exactly last put them. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Simplemann
Nice, I'm curious to see what you think about the trigger :) .

I'm getting itchy to shoot something, anything, sometime soon. I might have to tuck the P-17 under my shirt and walk down the street to the nearest wooded area. I figure I'd best hide it under my shirt to keep the locals from freaking out if they happened to see me with it in my hand. LOL! It's supposed to be hotter than blazes here tomorrow. Might be a good day to ignore chores, find a cool spot in the woods, draw a circle on a dead tree with a yellow tire marker, and see how quickly I can get the thing zeroed. Come to think of it, tomorrow afternoon might be a VERY good time to do that. I believe the wife said something about some of her family coming by to visit. Now, don't tell her I said that. LOL! I'm still hobbled by the surgery I had, but I think I might be able to make that little walk OK. No, the doc said not supposed to, but I'm getting along pretty well.

Ya, i believe it.. outsiders move in and ...... Then ....... Lived here all my life and i got to chang to please a transplant that just moved here .. like ny or cal. Types the worse.. you become a stranger in your own lifetime town...lol

The 50 was a stretch and as is the max i could even group with in reason.. mostly 10m to 25y with 10m the most . I shoot critters like this bird one at 20 +/-

Yeah, don't get me started on how much things have changed in my lifetime. Places I used to have free reign to hunt, fish, or whatever are now strictly off limits to me. The real killer is that I'm talking about land owned by the same person then, and now. The story these guys continue to give me that they have to keep strangers and irresponsible people off their ground, so it's easier to just forbid anybody from being there. No, there isn't a thread of logic in that, but that's what I've heard time and again. I always ask then what I ever did to prompt that feeling towards me and I usually get an abrupt, "That's just the way it is" response. What really bugs me is the fact that I've done all sorts of favors for a lot of those guys.

I've been contemplating what range I'm going to site my guns in at. It was never a problem when I was still shooting powder guns. I knew I wanted my .45 Hawken zeroed at 60 yards. Most of my shots were between about 40 and 90 yards. I never had to make a really long shot on any deer I ever shot, so 60 was a good starting point. My .22 squirrel guns were zeroed at 35 yards. And so on and so on. I can see where the P-17 will probably be zeroed for the 20 - 25 feet inside the garage. I did figure out I can get closer to 25' and maybe 28' by rearranging a few things and then shooting diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner. I'll then always have a place to shoot even in the rain or cold. My garage never gets below about 47 or 48 degrees and I've got a propane heater that'll warm her up in a hurry. I'm totally undecided on the Mod 25 at this point. I'm going to have to get some experience with that gun before I know for sure how and what I'll be shooting. That would make a really nice gun to shoot longer distances in the woods as well as killing the occasional critter in the backyard.

Well, when you buy the new bottle you're guaranteed to find the old one. And it probably won't even be dried out when you do find it. That's how it is at my house. if I misplace something, all I need to do is go buy a new one and I'll find the old one shortly after. Of course it'll be too late to return the new one because when I finally find the old one I will have already used the new one. And when it comes to glue or paint or something like that, both containers will be dried out when I need them and know where I exactly last put them. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Sounds like your house is the same as my house. I just did EXACTLY that same thing yesterday and today. On my way home from the doc's office after surgery yesterday, I stopped at CVS and bought a new bag of Epsom salts. I'm supposed to soak my feet 3 or 4 times a day in a warm Epsom salts bath. I kept trying to remember where I put the last bag and couldn't. I called the wife and asked her to look a couple of places and she couldn't find it. So, I bought a new bag. Today, I had to go out to the garage to get a can of silicone spray to hit a couple of squeaky hinges. Yep, sure enough, right there on the same shelf with the silicone spray was a nearly full bag of Epsom salts. Just glad it wasn't a $500 item. LOL!

I'm getting itchy to shoot something, anything, sometime soon. I might have to tuck the P-17 under my shirt and walk down the street to the nearest wooded area. I figure I'd best hide it under my shirt to keep the locals from freaking out if they happened to see me with it in my hand. LOL! It's supposed to be hotter than blazes here tomorrow. Might be a good day to ignore chores, find a cool spot in the woods, draw a circle on a dead tree with a yellow tire marker, and see how quickly I can get the thing zeroed. Come to think of it, tomorrow afternoon might be a VERY good time to do that. I believe the wife said something about some of her family coming by to visit. Now, don't tell her I said that. LOL! I'm still hobbled by the surgery I had, but I think I might be able to make that little walk OK. No, the doc said not supposed to, but I'm getting along pretty well.
Oh that sounds like a big pain just to shoot a pellet gun. I use to have 2.5 acres but now live in a subdivision that really isn't a friendly place to shoot but I can if I really wanted to. I just shoot the pellet gun in the garage with a 20' distance (good enough) or drive 20 minutes to the range once a week to stretch it out further, I do miss the 2.5 acres :( .

Last edited: