• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My shooting stick.

I just finished my new shooting stick for those field excursions. What do you think?
1570760872_14830202615d9fe8a8176661.62818993_IMG_20191010_174846.jpg
1570760872_19384399965d9fe8a8b1cfb3.19163191_IMG_20191010_174838.jpg
1570760873_17129616965d9fe8a9442032.88922519_IMG_20191010_174832.jpg

Nice. But looks like a pain to carry when your hunting. The primary reason I made this one. It's very light and doubles as a walking stick. It will also be used with my .50 caliber muzzelloaders.

Actually, it's not that bad, even in the brush. It's biggest downfall is when I use it in very rocky areas where the base can't get good contact with the ground. But I'll work on that if I can come up with a better design for the base.

Yours reminds me of the switch our grade school principle used to use on us misbehaving boys...

Not good memories...

(No offense intended, of course. -- If you're happy with yours, I'm happy for you. Thanks for sharing. I'm always open for new ideas.)

Nice. But looks like a pain to carry when your hunting. The primary reason I made this one. It's very light and doubles as a walking stick. It will also be used with my .50 caliber muzzelloaders.

Actually, it's not that bad, even in the brush. It's biggest downfall is when I use it in very rocky areas where the base can't get good contact with the ground. But I'll work on that if I can come up with a better design for the base.

Yours reminds me of the switch our grade school principle used to use on us misbehaving boys...

Not good memories...

(No offense intended, of course. -- If you're happy with yours, I'm happy for you. Thanks for sharing. I'm always open for new ideas.)

Mine has a 6 inch spike on the bottom. Probably not good in rocks. But anywhere else stab it into the ground and it works great.

You wouldn't get very far trying to stab it into the ground here. We have the hardest ground you'll find almost anywhere in the world.

I initially tried using the clamp as a shooting stick without the fancy wood upgrades. I had a much smaller base; but it wasn't that stable. People say monopods are the least stable of all shooting sticks. The way mine is now is very stable.

I tested it as a walking stick this afternoon after your last post, and it works ok like that with the base up; albeit a little noisy.

Tripods are supposed to work the best. Even simple African style tripods with three sticks tied together with a simple moveable loop. I was too cheap to even do that.