• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

My Thomas HPX … it is what it is

Went to the range today to get some practice in with my Thomas HPX, shooting FX MRD’s, outdoors @ 50 yards. There is another MOA Challenge thread in the general section that I posted this in too. Each group is 5 shots so these aren’t some cherry picked miracle group. The first shot was aimed at the bull and if it blew off then I chased that hole for my other 4 shots. It is what it is, by an average guy … happily shooting a rifle that I’m not worthy to own.

Bottom right two groups were shot with JTS 25.4’s. I was going to shoot another card with them but they shot horrible so I nixed that idea.

32 groups totaling 10.78” = .337” average if my math is correct?

IMG_8725.jpeg
IMG_8726.png
IMG_8727.jpeg
IMG_8728.jpeg
IMG_8732.jpeg

Thanks Randal. Had some weird switching wind today. Mostly L to R but then it would switch 180* R to L and bite me without any warning. Not making excuses though, it is what it is..
You're welcome Tim! Those are really tight groups in windy conditions @ 50!

If any body has shot at Meeker’s before it’s a tuff place to shoot. I’ve seen switching wind blow from left to right, then right to left and the flag closest to the target is doing something completely different. I’ve also seen the first flag spins 3 times in a circle with the sail tail sticking straight up in the air before it decide what it wants to do. That‘s the fun part about learning to shoot. Tim puts in his time at the range and sooner or later the 750 will come. Good shooting!

Went to the range today to get some practice in with my Thomas HPX, shooting FX MRD’s, outdoors @ 50 yards. There is another MOA Challenge thread in the general section that I posted this in too. Each group is 5 shots so these aren’t some cherry picked miracle group. The first shot was aimed at the bull and if it blew off then I chased that hole for my other 4 shots. It is what it is, by an average guy … happily shooting a rifle that I’m not worthy to own.

Bottom right two groups were shot with JTS 25.4’s. I was going to shoot another card with them but they shot horrible so I nixed that idea.

32 groups totaling 10.78” = .337” average if my math is correct?

View attachment 470113View attachment 470111View attachment 470109View attachment 470112View attachment 470110
Nice shooting - beautiful place to shoot!!

Reactions: igolfat8
My dream pcp 😉
It was mine too and it took me several years to work up to a Thomas. I could have saved a LOT of money by buying a Thomas to begin with but I took the long winding road to get here. Now I am just trying to improve my wind reading skills. The rifle is way more capable than I am and it’s 100% reliable and repeatable with zero surprises or disappointments. It’s been a fun journey.

Awesome
I like the little yellow disk you keep by your rifle showing you the aimpoints to counter the winds...nice reminder
Sure is a pretty set-up you have
Mike
It’s a wind rose that Mike made. I found it somewhere on the internet several years ago. It certainly is a helpful reminder and another tool in my box.

Thanks Randal. Had some weird switching wind today. Mostly L to R but then it would switch 180* R to L and bite me without any warning. Not making excuses though, it is what it is..
Nice groups! and gun. Those gusty conditions can really be a bugger.
I need to get some of those targets that you are shooting. Thanks for the post.

Reactions: igolfat8