• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

N50 at 100 “In The Rings” Slug Challenge

100 yards is a loooooooong way especially for a .177, and a 13.4 light slug. Those two groups look pretty darn good.

Two. Questions: What velocity and what was the wind like?
Velocity was a bit over 1000 fps. I never held outside th outer circle so fairly calm. I just recently received this barrel but it’s the first barrel I have received that shoots slugs like their bc would suggest and I had to push the bc up from .66 to .9 in strelok to get it to match where I was hitting @100. Going to put it to the test this coming sat in a Hp ft match. I shot those using holdover too

Reactions: tommyb
Velocity was a bit over 1000 fps. I never held outside th outer circle so fairly calm. I just recently received this barrel but it’s the first barrel I have received that shoots slugs like their bc would suggest and I had to push the bc up from .66 to .9 in strelok to get it to match where I was hitting @100. Going to put it to the test this coming sat in a Hp ft match. I shot those using holdover too

Thanks for the quick response. Good luck, keep posting.

IMG_4500.jpeg
IMG_4499.jpeg
Ok so I machined a washer to Mikes specks center is 7/16” outside these were the 2 best groups of 8 that I shot at 100 this morn. The others had some wind push I guess or maybe just flyers?I had my scope zeroed at 100 this time and no wind flags. 13 shot groups

View attachment 480973View attachment 480974Ok so I machined a washer to Mikes specks center is 7/16” outside these were the 2 best groups of 8 that I shot at 100 this morn. The others had some wind push I guess or maybe just flyers?I had my scope zeroed at 100 this time and no wind flags. 13 shot groups
That looks nice . If you use both groups as a single 25 shot submission you probably scored 1900-2000. That's good.

Mike

Reactions: Solo1
Yes, very good. Horizontal looks solid. Phenomenal (I.e., 1900-2000) for a .177 outside at 100y with wind.

Chuck - Have you considered using a real 11 x 17” N50 target, assuming you have these already? This is the target format we have been using for the ‘slugs in the rings’ challenge.

For me, it’s better than just shooting groups. Just curious.

Tom

Yes, very good. Horizontal looks solid. Phenomenal (I.e., 1900-2000) for a .177 outside at 100y with wind.

Chuck - Have you considered using a real 11 x 17” N50 target, assuming you have these already? This is the target format we have been using for the ‘slugs in the rings’ challenge.

For me, it’s better than just shooting groups. Just curious.

Tom
Just downloaded the sample target haven’t ordered any but do have the plugs. May try at 50 & 100. Have to get ready for finger lakes ft this coming weekend.

Reactions: thomasair
Just downloaded the sample target haven’t ordered any but do have the plugs. May try at 50 & 100. Have to get ready for finger lakes ft this coming weekend.

I think the N50 official cardstock 11” X 17” targets are around $75-$100 for a good quantity. That includes annual membership fee and all the caliber scoring plugs. I like the card stock for clean holes.

Good luck!

I think the N50 official cardstock 11” X 17” targets are around $75-$100 for a good quantity. That includes annual membership fee and all the caliber scoring plugs. I like the card stock for clean holes.

Good luck!
Well as I said I have the plugs and have a whole package of card stock I got off amazon. I like using the washers for drawing targets as it’s a lot cheaper than printing targets at home and cheaper than buying targets. I will try a few n50 targets and show how my washers match up

Reactions: tommyb
Well as I said I have the plugs and have a whole package of card stock I got off amazon. I like using the washers for drawing targets as it’s a lot cheaper than printing targets at home and cheaper than buying targets. I will try a few n50 targets and show how my washers match up

Re. “Drawing washers, a lot cheaper than printing targets.” Good point.

I was laughing because I got a message from my Brother Laser printer that my Toner is low, when I was printing some targets this morning. 😀 More $$$$

Reactions: Solo1
Re. “Drawing washers, a lot cheaper than printing targets.” Good point.

I was laughing because I got a message from my Brother Laser printer that my Toner is low, when I was printing some targets this morning. 😀 More $$$$
That’s why I use the washers now Last year I was practicing for pa cup and got new ink cartridges and by the time I was done they were empty. $60 for ink and then the cost of paper too! So I came up with the washer idea and a $2 fine point sharpie. $2 beats $60 any day! Lol

That’s why I use the washers now Last year I was practicing for pa cup and got new ink cartridges and by the time I was done they were empty. $60 for ink and then the cost of paper too! So I came up with the washer idea and a $2 fine point sharpie. $2 beats $60 any day! Lol

It sure does.

My printer gets a lot of work printing 30 and 40Y Challenge targets. But, for a 100y shooting, a less expensive option like yours is definitely a possibility in my future.

Good luck!
Targets only at bottom of page, but look over the entire page
1721507950771.png

I went to the range this morning and wanted to try my luck at catching Mike's last 6-card average scores.

I was trying hard for a 2500, but it was not meant to be. Shot 3 cards ( 2125, 2300 and 2325) and one practice row for wind reading. Had a lot of tail winds with some R to L. Much of my holds were on the 6 and 7 ring between 3 O'clock and 5 O'clock.

Rifle - Anschutz 1907 .22 LR with Tuner
Ammo - RWS 50 and RWS 100 40g
Scope - Sightron 2FP 45X fixed
Distance - 100 yards

Have the Trigger breaking at 3-4oz. I did make sure my Randolph front rest was level and the benches are all pretty level.

I forgot how much fun this has been for the last couple of years.

IMG_1477.jpeg

IMG_1480.jpeg

IMG_1476.jpeg

IMG_1478.jpeg

One try in 6-12 wind. 2325. I'm irritated with the loner 😀

View attachment 485971
Mike, nice 2325!

I think this might be your first card with one /any pellet outside the six ring since you started the thread two years ago. I don't think you shot any prior rings and had any pellets outside the six ring. If so, there weren't many.

There.....I feel better now! Ha ha

Plus - Those slug holes are pretty.

Tom

Reactions: thomasair