Need a low power air pistol, or possibly a rifle. What to get in today's market?

I need a modest power .177 pellet pistol or small rifle. I prefer to avoid PCP options but, could work with one if I really need to. I need enough power to kill small predators without damaging surrounding things, I will be shooting at modest distances, under 20' a lot of the time, and rarely if ever beyond 50'.

Things seem to be a lot more expensive generally than the last time I was in the market. I want a quality air pistol or rifle but, cheaper is better! I am unsure what I need to spend but, an >$1500 FWB, Steyr, ... pistol ain't going to happen.

The other thought I had was possibly getting a bullpup rifle at the 6FPE power level. I don't have access to high-pressure compressed air where I live so, that is a consideration too.

TIA,
Sid

Reactions: Bandito
~6FPE should be enough for:
  • Mice,
  • Rats,
  • Cats,
  • Squirrels,
  • Snakes (poisonous ones),
  • various ground-burrowing critters like moles.
And yes, I am thinking neck and head shots, not body shots.

I have a 22LR for Raccoons, Opossums, Dogs, and similar things that don't need a centerfire for longer range or deeper penetration for humane lethal results.

I am avoiding HIGH POWER .177 and .22 due to collateral damage concerns with some shots. ~18FPE on the 0.177 PCP's and >30FPE on the 0.22 is simply too much. I have some heavy hitter air rifles but, they are too big and heavy in addition to being overpowered to be a good option for this application. Anywhere I would use my "big" air rifles is where a Ruger 10/22 would work well too since I no longer live within the city limits where shooting a firearm is a no-no.

~6FPE should be enough for:
  • Mice,
  • Rats,
  • Cats,
  • Squirrels,
  • Snakes (poisonous ones),
  • various ground-burrowing critters like moles.
And yes, I am thinking neck and head shots, not body shots.

I have a 22LR for Raccoons, Opossums, Dogs, and similar things that don't need a centerfire for longer range or deeper penetration for humane lethal results.
A pumper would work fine

I have a Beeman AR2078A that uses single or double 12mg co2 cartridges available at Walmart. It’s set up for use for 10meter target use but you could scope it easily and use it for small pests. Another thought is the Benjamin Trail, a break barrel in .22 which would also be effective. I have two of those, both are accurate, dependable rifles. For small critters up close there’s always the Crosman 760 pumper.

Rick H.

You mentioned FWB and Styer. Could always pick up an old FWB 300.

Also a lot of the old FWB co2 pistols can be had at a bargain. I have an old FWB c10 that is awesome. With a bulk co2 tank you would be able to shoot for years between refills.
CO2 would make a lot of sense in Texas.

CO2 would make a lot of sense in Texas.
Diana Chaser pistol/carbine kit. CO2 cartridge. Should be under $150. My nephew bought one from Midway this summer for around $100. My pcp Diana Bandit is better on rats at 40 ft. It can be hand pumped to fill fairly easily. Could be a toss up between .177 or .22 at low fpe. More experienced pesters would know about that better than me.

If you have electricity you can have a small compressed air pump for a PCP.

I would love to own this 12 ft lb BSA CLX $859.00 at Airguns of Airizona

1727941772715.png

Last edited:
This summer there have been quite a few cases of cats shot with airguns, and surviving that long enough for someone to find out, and bring in police and press.
Denmark is a .177 FAC country
Mind you these are probably shot with a anemic springer.

Cat population can some times get out of hand in some places, but you just call someone and they come ( free of charge ) and trap them and do,,,,,,, whatever.
Not really a need to go " hunting "

Mind you my friend, at his old place he had a Koi pond, and stocked with quite a few fish, and he lost some to a cat, and the owners of the cat could not care when he confronted them.
So,,,,,,, in the end sadly cat had to go.

As i recall the law here actually state that you got to keep your cat on your own land,,,,,, which is not at all easy if it is not in a harness and roped up, which again with a cat can be quite problematic.

I need a modest power .177 pellet pistol or small rifle. I prefer to avoid PCP options but, could work with one if I really need to. I need enough power to kill small predators without damaging surrounding things, I will be shooting at modest distances, under 20' a lot of the time, and rarely if ever beyond 50'.

Things seem to be a lot more expensive generally than the last time I was in the market. I want a quality air pistol or rifle but, cheaper is better! I am unsure what I need to spend but, an >$1500 FWB, Steyr, ... pistol ain't going to happen.

The other thought I had was possibly getting a bullpup rifle at the 6FPE power level. I don't have access to high-pressure compressed air where I live so, that is a consideration too.

TIA,
Sid

Crosman 2240 or 2300.