Need a low power air pistol, or possibly a rifle. What to get in today's market?

I am avoiding HIGH POWER .177 and .22 due to collateral damage concerns with some shots. ~18FPE on the 0.177 PCP's and >30FPE on the 0.22 is simply too much. I have some heavy hitter air rifles but, they are too big and heavy in addition to being overpowered to be a good option for this application. Anywhere I would use my "big" air rifles is where a Ruger 10/22 would work well too since I no longer live within the city limits where shooting a firearm is a no-no.
YES a pumper pistol like 1377 or 1322 would be great 3 or 4 pumps would be mice or rats , 6 or 8 pumps would get a squirrel .
Same number of pumps in the 392 pump rifle

EDIT 10/3/2024 5 pumps on my Sheridan .20 (last night ) = 10,04 FPE

Last edited:
6 fpe for a "predator" sounds suspicious to me. Maybe your local animal control would be a better choice than a pellet gun?

Animal Control is not an option where I live.

My front pasture was flooded out due to my neighbor's letting the Beavers "build them a free pond". Those beavers also washed out the public road and the county had a lawsuit when someone fell through the road when it collapsed due to the beavers raising the flood plane and washing/digging out the roadbase.

Another two neighbors are animal hoarders. One of them takes puppies out of peoples kennels while they are at work to "save them". The stench from rotting corpses on her property finally got a law enforcement response. The other hoarder has had probably 100 dogs shot killing livestock in the area.

I have spoken to local, county, and state governments about fixing this and alternatives to improve things. Turns out my only option would be a civil lawsuit that can't be enforced due to them being on Public Assistance (poverty).

The standing water and unmaintained pastures has created a lot of rodents which increased the poisonous snake population. This also has seen the Opposum and Raccoon populations explode. Rabbits, mice and, rats are being pushed out those areas into my farm buildings and towards my house. The squirrel seem to come and go based on predatory birds in the area mainly.

I'm with @SteveV on this. 6 fpe and predator don't go together.

Also, suggesting 6 fpe on a cat, feral I'm assuming, is FRIGGIN INHUMANE.

With good shot placement, not a problem. With poor shot placement, even a 5.56 AR-15 is inhumane.

It's not only about the size of the hammer, but about the skill with which you wield it.

This summer there have been quite a few cases of cats shot with airguns, and surviving that long enough for someone to find out, and bring in police and press.
Denmark is a .177 FAC country
Mind you these are probably shot with a anemic springer.

Cat population can some times get out of hand in some places, but you just call someone and they come ( free of charge ) and trap them and do,,,,,,, whatever.
Not really a need to go " hunting "

Mind you my friend, at his old place he had a Koi pond, and stocked with quite a few fish, and he lost some to a cat, and the owners of the cat could not care when he confronted them.
So,,,,,,, in the end sadly cat had to go.

As i recall the law here actually state that you got to keep your cat on your own land,,,,,, which is not at all easy if it is not in a harness and roped up, which again with a cat can be quite problematic.

I'm not in a city "hunting" cats. Yes, in cities, a lot of kids shoot cats and dogs with anemic air rifles creating a real problem and lots of bad publicity. In an urban environment, trapping is a good solution.

I have 8 Have-a-Heart style traps and use them but, they don't catch everything and you still have the issue of where or how you "rehome" them.

Reactions: Peashooter
With good shot placement, not a problem. With poor shot placement, even a 5.56 AR-15 is inhumane.

It's not only about the size of the hammer, but about the skill with which you wield it.
6 fpe at the muzzle won't penetrate the skull of an adult cat. I've had pellets get stuck in a squirrel skull and not kill them with a bone stock 224 co2 pistol at 20 yards.

I don't care that you're shooting ferals, but do yourself a favor and use the proper tool to dispatch them. A wounded pissed off full grown feral Tom can do some damage to the kid down the street who stops to help out the poor injured kitty.

Reactions: QuarterPint
OK i just went to the calculator site and this gun in .22 at the advertised 850 FPS and a 13.4 grain .22 pellet is 21 FPE

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Is a hw75 considered too weak for this? Given how much everyone loves them. Certainly wouldn't recommend it further than 20' though. (I've used it with some success on pests, but not predators)
Sparrows mice and a good shot on a chipper.
Not sur that the 75 breaks 400 fps, if so not my much. I want one badly.

Animal Control is not an option where I live.

My front pasture was flooded out due to my neighbor's letting the Beavers "build them a free pond". Those beavers also washed out the public road and the county had a lawsuit when someone fell through the road when it collapsed due to the beavers raising the flood plane and washing/digging out the roadbase.

Another two neighbors are animal hoarders. One of them takes puppies out of peoples kennels while they are at work to "save them". The stench from rotting corpses on her property finally got a law enforcement response. The other hoarder has had probably 100 dogs shot killing livestock in the area.

I have spoken to local, county, and state governments about fixing this and alternatives to improve things. Turns out my only option would be a civil lawsuit that can't be enforced due to them being on Public Assistance (poverty).

The standing water and unmaintained pastures has created a lot of rodents which increased the poisonous snake population. This also has seen the Opposum and Raccoon populations explode. Rabbits, mice and, rats are being pushed out those areas into my farm buildings and towards my house. The squirrel seem to come and go based on predatory birds in the area mainly.
I have two words for you, and solve your 6ft lb problem…..night vision 🤣

Reactions: athlon_oved