Need Recommendations for a PCP Airgun to Deal with Coyotes

I don't recommend a crossbow if you live in an urban environment where your neighbors properties are within 30 yards, because there's a good chance the yote may run off onto a neighbor's property and that would not look good on the evening news.
It can hang around long enough even with .30 in lungs, so the only reasonable difference is noise.

not to mention the bold would probably pass through and end up who knows where
That's a possibility, yes. But I brought a few slugs from my backyard to my neighbor to show him he need to adjust his PCP target setup. They bounced off the wooden target and made 30-40 partially forested yards. My .22 sometimes bounce off a PT lumber and fly back at me when the pressure in Notos gets lower. It also happily bounce off the lawn and flies who knows where.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Just shrugging at the modern (sub)urban noise regulations.
OK. I get it. My neighborhood is noisy as hell -- all the stuff you mentioned plus the added bonus of being half a mile away from the busiest interstate in the state and a mile away from the end of the runway of the busiest airport in the state -- comes complete with national guard fighter jet practice. So during the day time people here are immune to noise, UNLESS it sounds like a gun. Thank goodness for the donnyfl ronin on the end of my maverick.

stovepipe

It can hang around long enough even with .30 in lungs, so the only reasonable difference is noise.
That's why I pass on shooting coyotes in my yard. I only have a 60 fpe 0.25 that would be more than enough with a well placed brain shot. The problem is coyotes rarely keep they heads still for long. Max115 has videos showing a missed brain because of head movement with the coyote running off, body never recovered. A 0.25 isn't anywhere near enough to ensure the yote stay within my property lines with a missed brain shot, or even a perfect lung shot.

I don't know anything about hunting with arrows, but maybe using one of these extra large broadheads with a double lung shot would stop a coyote from running more than10 yards. Some cut a 2.5" path!

I don't think anyone wants to see something like this on their local news!

Here's a coyote that I have seen in my yard 3 times now.

coyote yard.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vtl
That's why I pass on shooting coyotes in my yard. I only have a 60 fpe 0.25 that would be more than enough with a well placed brain shot. The problem is coyotes rarely keep they heads still for long. Max115 has videos showing a missed brain because of head movement with the coyote running off, body never recovered. A 0.25 isn't anywhere near enough to ensure the yote stay within my property lines with a missed brain shot, or even a perfect lung shot.

I don't know anything about hunting with arrows, but maybe using one of these extra large broadheads with a double lung shot would stop a coyote from running more than10 yards. Some cut a 2.5" path!

View attachment 488654
That was a horrible gut shot

View attachment 488654
I've seen enough chipmunks running away after .22 Notos shot placed anywhere but head. I'm not sure a coyote will drop dead right on spot even after taking a .50 hollow point. Have seen dogs ran over by a truck, spine and bellows crushed, but still trying to crawl away for a minute before dying painfully in a long agony. A living being has enough oxygen in cells to survive w/o resupply for a few minutes.

Yeah, a lot of coyotes around the neighborhood. Cats and small dogs gone missing all the time. We had a wave of rabbit infestation a few years ago, that brought the yotes in.

I've shot a small (8 lb) raccoon with a 32 fpe 22 caliber air rifle. It died pretty quickly but took 3 shots including one right between the eyes. I don't think that's enough gun for even a small one and will use one of my 25s if another one shows up with signs of being rabid. A really big raccoon can weigh 50 lbs or more however making a 40+ 25 caliber too small too. Raccoons are built differently than coyotes but don't seem to weigh a lot less.

But with a big enough airgun I am quite sure a coyote can be DRT with a well placed shot to the lungs or the brain. I killed dozens of squirrels with my 177 through 25 caliber airguns and I get reliable DRT results with even the under 20 fpe 177 and 22. They may take a step or two but don't run off. Shots to the front of the chest will let them run, however. Miss placing a shot to the skull is easier than to the lungs so if there is doubt I go for the body shot. 30+ fpe on a squirrel gives some margin for a shot not placed perfectly and drops them quicker. I don't know how small you'd have to go on a chipmunk but it would be under 10 fpe. Anything bigger than that will drop them reliably if you just place it correctly. If you double lung any animal it isn't going to run very far especially if the projectile exits. But if they know you are shooting at them and they are hyped up a coyote may run far enough to reach a neighbors yard. A brain shot should eliminate that possibility but I would be pretty confident with a 30 or 357 even on a body shot. With no lungs the brain is going to loose oxygen very quickly. Some people think squirrels are tough too. They certainly have run on me when I didn't place a shot well but with well placed shots they drop very quickly. Coyotes are a lot bigger so you have to have more penetration and I think you need a bigger hole to make them bleed out quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZekeZX10
If all I needed the rifle for was coyote, I’d probably get a Gauntlet 2 sl 30 cal. Excellent price and plenty of hunting accuracy. I wouldn’t shoot a 30 as often as my 177, 22, or 25 cal rifles so it would just be for hunting. No sense in spending 1k plus just for that niche use. Spend the bulk of the budget on a NV scope or thermal.

Last edited:
I know this is an airgun sight but if the OP’s interest is most likely pesting or coyote dispatching and would need to invest in a good quality air rifle and some method to recharge it, my experience would absolutely push me to a CZ457 .22LR and a sparrow suppressor and subsonic ammo. You never have to be concerned with air leaks that would purge air while gun sits in the corner or safe while waiting for an opportunity.
Just my 2¢ and experience.
Of course do everything legally regardless of the route you take. Confiscation or arrest can result if rules/laws are not followed. YMMV.

Last edited:
A 30 caliber airgun should have equal or greater fpe than a 22lr. It will also make a wider hole so as long as the hole is deep enough, which I think it would be, it would have greater ability to quickly dispatch a coyote. There are a few 22 caliber PCPs that can get up to 22lr velocity/energy and more 25s that can. But 30s and above are typically at LR fpe or above.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
A 30 caliber airgun should have equal or greater fpe than a 22lr. It will also make a wider hole so as long as the hole is deep enough, which I think it would be, it would have greater ability to quickly dispatch a coyote. There are a few 22 caliber PCPs that can get up to 22lr velocity/energy and more 25s that can. But 30s and above are typically at LR fpe or above.
I was literally about to say this exact same thing.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on purchasing a PCP airgun to address a coyote problem in my backyard. I live in a golf course community in CA so I can't kill them with my real gun, and lately, we've had an increasing number of coyotes jumping fences and gates. Unfortunately, they've been killing some of my neighbors' dogs, and I want to ensure my pets are safe. I truly have 0 knowledge when it comes to PCP guns or anything thats why I'm writing this forum.

Here's what I'm looking for:

• Caliber: I'm not sure what caliber would be best for effectively taking down a coyote with one shot. Any suggestions?
  • FPS: What FPS should I be aiming for to ensure a humane and effective kill?
  • Range: The maximum distance I'd be shooting is around 40 yards.
  • Budget: I'd like to stay within a budget of $2,000-$2,500.
I would greatly appreciate any specific model recommendations or links to products that fit these criteria. Your expertise and experience would be invaluable in helping me make the right choice. If you have any recommendations please let me know! ill truly appreciate it and hope to get revenge for all the neighbors!

Thank you in advance for your help!
My opinion is to let the city Animal Control take on this job , I would be almost positive their are laws governing any type of shooting of projectiles in that area . P.S. what would you do with the body ?

IME, a .22lr is a poor choice for “dispatching coyotes” unless they’re in a trap.

Any rule of thumb that applies to a standard powered PCP (900fps-ish .22/.25/.30) should also apply to a .22lr. IE: close range, judicious shot placement and good tracking skills. I’ve seen coyotes pack a lot of lead a long ways.
In 40 yards as the OP mentioned, a .22 subsonic suppressed is entirely adequate. Ask me how I know.