Need Recommendations for a PCP Airgun to Deal with Coyotes

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on purchasing a PCP airgun to address a coyote problem in my backyard. I live in a golf course community in CA so I can't kill them with my real gun, and lately, we've had an increasing number of coyotes jumping fences and gates. Unfortunately, they've been killing some of my neighbors' dogs, and I want to ensure my pets are safe. I truly have 0 knowledge when it comes to PCP guns or anything thats why I'm writing this forum.

Here's what I'm looking for:

• Caliber: I'm not sure what caliber would be best for effectively taking down a coyote with one shot. Any suggestions?
  • FPS: What FPS should I be aiming for to ensure a humane and effective kill?
  • Range: The maximum distance I'd be shooting is around 40 yards.
  • Budget: I'd like to stay within a budget of $2,000-$2,500.
I would greatly appreciate any specific model recommendations or links to products that fit these criteria. Your expertise and experience would be invaluable in helping me make the right choice. If you have any recommendations please let me know! ill truly appreciate it and hope to get revenge for all the neighbors!

Thank you in advance for your help!

If you are not really looking to go down the rabbit hole of this hobby and intend to just focus on the yote problem I would recommend the umarex gauntlet SL in .30 cal. While I haven’t owned one all reviews show it being very accurate and definitely powerful. For coyotes I wouldn’t personally go below .30 cal and 80-100 fpe.

One shot dead right there kills are most likely with brain shots. Keeping it inside 40 yards could keep this possible but it would take a pretty accurate gun and shooter. If you want to limit yourself to brain shots then a 25 caliber should be fine. But if you want to be able to take body shots with a reasonable chance it drops with little to no running then you would want at least a 30 in my opinion and a 357 wouldn't be a bad idea. But the bigger you go the harder it is to keep them quiet. The Benjamin bulldog is available in 257, 35, and 45 caliber. I think 45 is overkill but the others are not for what you describe. You did not mention what happens if you shoot through the coyote. If you go for the bigger calibers that is very possible, especially with something like a domed pellet that does not expand. You need enough penetration to shoot through the shoulder if you will be taking body shots but you may or may not want to shoot completely through them. I think it tends to minimize running to have an exit wound but others lean more to the "energy dump" theory.

A P35X in 25 could work if you keep it to brain shots. Others report upper 50s fpe which should drive a 34 grain pellet right through a coyote skull. This gun is slightly under $500. The SPA M60B is another option for maybe $100 more if you go with the carbon fiber bottle. You can get it in 30 and 357 caliber but it is not as powerful in 357 as a bulldog or many other 357s. An Umarex gauntlet in 30 caliber would be another relatively inexpensive option.

In my experience a shot through the neck gets about the same reaction as a brain shot - at least on squirrels. Side to side body shots result in less running than a frontal shot to the chest. I would avoid those if you want drt results. I get a lot more drt results on squirrels with my 30 fpe+ airguns than I do with my two sub 20 fpe guns. Brain shots I don't think it matters. But body shots I am confident are more immediately effective with more power. I only use domed pellets on squirrels.

• Wow
Reactions: boscoebrea
I would second the Gauntlet SL30. At around $430 it leaves plenty left over to get a compressor, scope and ammo. I have one and it is definitely powerful but loud. You would probably need a moderator to quiet it down (see Buck Rail for one). With a moderator it is a little long, mine is 53" with a moderator.

I have the similar issue and have an Edgun r5m shooting 34 grain jsb at 900 ft per second. I presume that is more than adequate for a brain shot but inadequate for shot to the lungs. I don't want the animal to run off my property! The fourth time I've seen a coyote my backyard in the last 2 months. I hope it's helping me keep the rat population down in that case I'll leave it alone. If I ever see it personally in the daytime I think I would have to take some action.

Screenshot_20240730-114624.png

impact in .35 .. put a nv scope on it, id get an atn ... dedicate a window to it, you need a solid rest, bait them to where you want them and have a backstop behind it like several blocks .. its 'all setup' to be highly effective .. once you got your spot, you can monitor it remotely on your cell, and supplement your early warnimg with a motion detector on the bait spot .. sometimes it takes 15 minutes, other times 6 hours, but they aint survivin ..

20240806_195853.jpg

20240806_195638.jpg

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on purchasing a PCP airgun to address a coyote problem in my backyard. I live in a golf course community in CA so I can't kill them with my real gun, and lately, we've had an increasing number of coyotes jumping fences and gates. Unfortunately, they've been killing some of my neighbors' dogs, and I want to ensure my pets are safe. I truly have 0 knowledge when it comes to PCP guns or anything thats why I'm writing this forum.

Here's what I'm looking for:

• Caliber: I'm not sure what caliber would be best for effectively taking down a coyote with one shot. Any suggestions?
  • FPS: What FPS should I be aiming for to ensure a humane and effective kill?
  • Range: The maximum distance I'd be shooting is around 40 yards.
  • Budget: I'd like to stay within a budget of $2,000-$2,500.
I would greatly appreciate any specific model recommendations or links to products that fit these criteria. Your expertise and experience would be invaluable in helping me make the right choice. If you have any recommendations please let me know! ill truly appreciate it and hope to get revenge for all the neighbors!

Thank you in advance for your help!
.30 evol one in classified now

Reactions: woogie_man
Just an FYI for those suggesting night vision and snares, we cannot use those to hunt animals in California.

To the OP I would use either a 25 or 30 Cal with enough energy to hit max speeds for pellet ~850-980fps. An FX Impact or Maverick are good choices for your budget. There are lots of cheaper option too that will last you a few years like the Air Venturi AvengeX. Another good choice is the 25Cal Taipan Vet Gen 1 in 25Cal still available from Tony at Talon Tunes. This would be my choice, as they are top tier accurate and reliable.

Regardless what you buy you will want a long barrel in the 700mm range, and you will need a decent compressor. The Omega Trail Charger is a great budget option, or if you want to roll the dice a little the GX CS4 is also good. The JSB Hades are great hunting pellets, but for a short range shot any pellet will work with good shot placement behind the eye.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I have killed plenty of yotes with a 25 crown out to 100 yards with head shots. A slug to the dome and its all over.

I would look at a 22, 25 or 30 and a HEAVY slug for back yard business. Doesn't need to be high powered, but you need to make sure the dog is dead. Would hate to have it run to a neighbors yard and cause more problems.

If you know what the yote is coming to your yard far, bait the sucker to keep it still. Then be sure of your backstop and drop the dog.