Need suggestions between a few PCP’s

Hello,

I have a couple of springers but I've been wanting to get into PCP’s and I’ve been doing some browsing and little research. I already have a compressor in mind but I would like some suggestions between four .22 caliber rifles that I came across. The first 2, I want a powerful rifle to push slugs for rabbit hunting so I was wanting to go with the .22 Airforce Condor SS, but then I came across the .22 Hatsan NeutronStar which looks like a really nice repeater rifle. The Hatsan doesn’t have a regulator but I can find the right slugs to manage the speed and energy. The Condor SS and the Hatsan NeutronStar are in the same price range, but I only would have to choose one out of the two, so which one would you recommend ??

Then I came across two more rifles that caught my attention, and they both are in the same price range and I like the way they push some 18grain pellets. so I was thinking of also purchasing one of the two for target shooting and squirrel hunting with pellets, and possibly replacing my .22 Gamo Magnum. Which rifle would you recommend out of the .22 Hatsan Flashpup and the .22 Air Venturi Avenger Bullpup? Your suggestions/ recommendations are greatly appreciated, Thank you.

The Hatsan Neutron star was a performer for Steve, and gets you a magazine gun.

I had a flashpup, and sold it soon after. It’s not a very smooth operating rifle. I have no experience with an Avenger but have read plenty about them, and I would choose that.

Not having a regulator isn’t a deal breaker at all. Just learn the pressure window it likes and use it in that. It’s actually nice having unregulated guns.

What sort of rabbits are you hunting that require slugs? Most bunnies will fall over DRT even if you just yell the word "bang!" in their direction. But if you're hunting big jack rabbits or the like out west, I can't speak to that, but do see many people hunting those with pellets as well. Or is it range that you're after with the slugs? That's a different matter all together.

I'd get the Airforce before I got the Hatsan. I currently own 3 Hatsan products and I will likely buy more, but they have quality control issues and I have learned to view their guns as a crap shoot or as projects. Once you fix the things that should have been fixed when they were made they are often decent guns, but I would always favor a reputable manufacturer like Airforce over them.

My next Hatsan purchase will probably be a Blitz as I still have a full auto itch that I need to scratch and nobody else seems to make one with removable high capacity magazines.

What sort of rabbits are you hunting that require slugs? Most bunnies will fall over DRT even if you just yell the word "bang!" in their direction. But if you're hunting big jack rabbits or the like out west, I can't speak to that, but do see many people hunting those with pellets as well. Or is it range that you're after with the slugs? That's a different matter all together.
BANG!! 🤣 would like to hunt Jacks and also looking for distance and energy.

Reactions: Spartan
Hello,

I have a couple of springers but I've been wanting to get into PCP’s and I’ve been doing some browsing and little research. I already have a compressor in mind but I would like some suggestions between four .22 caliber rifles that I came across. The first 2, I want a powerful rifle to push slugs for rabbit hunting so I was wanting to go with the .22 Airforce Condor SS, but then I came across the .22 Hatsan NeutronStar which looks like a really nice repeater rifle. The Hatsan doesn’t have a regulator but I can find the right slugs to manage the speed and energy. The Condor SS and the Hatsan NeutronStar are in the same price range, but I only would have to choose one out of the two, so which one would you recommend ??

Then I came across two more rifles that caught my attention, and they both are in the same price range and I like the way they push some 18grain pellets. so I was thinking of also purchasing one of the two for target shooting and squirrel hunting with pellets, and possibly replacing my .22 Gamo Magnum. Which rifle would you recommend out of the .22 Hatsan Flashpup and the .22 Air Venturi Avenger Bullpup? Your suggestions/ recommendations are greatly appreciated, Thank you.
so lets go with the easier to answer question first, definitely the avenger pup over the flash pup. I just got my avenger pup and im pushing 25.4gr pellets at 830 fps with insane accuracy. highly recomended.

choosing between the neutron star and the condor can be kinda tricky and I think ultimately comes down to personal preference. I have an Airforce TalonP (pretty similar) and I do really like it. airforce guns have huge aftermarket support for adding regulators and you can get barrels from airforce to change caliber pretty quickly. the Neutron start is a great gun tho. tons of power for slugs no doubt about that. looking at the 2, Im pretty sure the condor can give you more power, while the neutron star would give you more consistency in the shot string. for your use case I would probably recommend the neutron star, and definitely watch Steves videos on it (somebody already posted the video here for you :) neither of them is a bad choice, you would be happy with either. for rabbit slug hunting tho...my vote is neutron star.

hope this helps :)

Reactions: Mr.GARCIA
Thank you all for your suggestions, so far I’m going with the Air Venturi Avenger. But I am still debating between the Hatsan NeutronStar and the Condor SS.
Air Venturi recently introduced the Avenge-X platform, an upgraded version of the Avenger. Pyramyd Air (Insyder) has a side-by-side comparison video on YouTube, do yourself a favor and check it out. Even if you stick with the less expensive original, the video will alert to essential aftermarket upgrades. Definitely, wood, or green laminate, stock over plastic for original Air Venturi Avenger purchase. Don't know Hatsan other than they get more bad press, than anybody else, like Sawney said, "crap shoot or projects," wouldn't be for me. Airforce gets good press, length and single-shot are drawbacks, for some. WM

Air Venturi recently introduced the Avenge-X platform, an upgraded version of the Avenger. Pyramyd Air (Insyder) has a side-by-side comparison video on YouTube, do yourself a favor and check it out. Even if you stick with the less expensive original, the video will alert to essential aftermarket upgrades. Definitely, wood, or green laminate, stock over plastic for original Air Venturi Avenger purchase. Don't know Hatsan other than they get more bad press, than anybody else, like Sawney said, "crap shoot or projects," wouldn't be for me. Airforce gets good press, length and single-shot are drawbacks, for some. WM
Thank you, I will definitely look into the avenger-x and the youtube video. After seeing the video on the neutronstar a repeater seems nice, do you have any suggestions on a repeater with about the same power as the condor or neutronstar?

Did you watch Steve's videos on the Neutron Star?
Yes I did see the video, very nice and impressive. But I think the Condor having both the regulator and top-hat options are nice too but it is a single shot and after seeing the video on the neutronstar it does not have a regulator and from what I hear it is a pain to adjust so Im still undecided, it’s going to be a tough decision for me. Maybe I’ll just go down the rabbit hole and eventually get both at some point 🫣😅

Thank you, I will definitely look into the avenger-x and the youtube video. After seeing the video on the neutronstar a repeater seems nice, do you have any suggestions on a repeater with about the same power as the condor or neutronstar?
Pellets and slugs are two different animals, like Steve said in Neutronstar video, pellets shoot best @ 850 FPS range, with choked barrels, while slugs require higher speeds/spin, unchoked ones. Basically, pellet design self-stabilizes, like a badminton shuttlecock, while slugs rely on high speed and spin to stabilize. More expensive, harder to find a gun-preferred one, slugs will buck the wind better and hold more energy at longer distances. Though, within the past year, I've purchased .30 dedicated "slug" guns, my preference is .25 and .30 pellet shooters. Advice on best .22 slug shooter is out of my area of experience, so I'll defer, to others. Why not another thread, asking further advice on that topic? WM

Yes I did see the video, very nice and impressive. But I think the Condor having both the regulator and top-hat options are nice too but it is a single shot and after seeing the video on the neutronstar it does not have a regulator and from what I hear it is a pain to adjust so Im still undecided, it’s going to be a tough decision for me. Maybe I’ll just go down the rabbit hole and eventually get both at some point 🫣😅
Be sure to watch some videos that aren't produced by people who got the guns sent to them by a sponsor as well. I think you'll find they have a lot different perspective especially on the Neutron Star.

Be sure to watch some videos that aren't produced by people who got the guns sent to them by a sponsor as well. I think you'll find they have a lot different perspective especially on the Neutron Star.
Yet Steve documents the accuracy of the Neutron Star with slugs in the video. Seeing is believing, IMO.

Reactions: GenXer
Yet Steve documents the accuracy of the Neutron Star with slugs in the video. Seeing is believing, IMO.
Steve documented the accuracy of the Neutron Star that he received from a sponsor. And I'm not saying this is the case or belittling a sponsored video but people who are sponsored often get products that have already been tested against others to be sure they are well represented and advertised. It is an undeniable fact. Having been sponsored for decades in other industries I know what happens in the real world. I never said anything about accuracy. What I said was to take in perspectives other than sponsored ones and the integrity of anyone saying otherwise should also be questioned.

Last edited:
I don't want to confuse the situation, there are lots of options, but I like air rifles that are short and light. My favorites are my 3 P35s. The 25 caliber will shoot some slugs pretty well but is more accurate with pellets. I shot a 194 on the 30 yard challenge with it today, for instance, shooting JSB 33.95 grain MKII pellets at 800 fps. That required a larger "power plenum". The 22 is the most accurate, I've shot a 200 on the 30 yard challenge with it. It is tuned to about 32 fpe. Either of these should be very effective on jackrabbits to 50 yards or more. P35s weigh about 5 lbs and are less than 30 inches long. The 450mm barrel does cost some power but the size and weight are great. A Stoeger bullshark is the same gun almost and is more available in the U. S.. Snowpeak also makes a M60 which is available with a carbon fiber bottle for about $700 from airgun, archery fun. It's barrel is over 600mm so it's a bit heavier but should also be more powerful. The P35 and bullshark are less than $500. These are all regulated guns with magazines (the M60 has a big magazine). All have forward side cocking. The Avenger bullpup is rear cocking.

I did some more digging on the Neutronstar, read reviews, seen videos and Yes the rifle looks amazing and performs well but many owners complaints are the fact that at some point the rifle begins to lose pressure and has some leak issues as well as accuracy issues and many of them state the fact that customer service is not so great, lack of communication and the longevity of repairs. And it is a very nice rifle when everything is working the way it should be, so with that said I think as my first time purchasing a PCP I will stay away from Hatsan because it appears to be the same on going issues with these line of rifles. So I think I may go with the Airforce because every where I dig it has nothing but good reviews ( yes there are some bad also, but I think most is user error) but no complaints about customer service and the rifle is a power house which some adjustments can be made according to one’s liking and it is very customizable. My only dislike is the fact that it is a single shot but then again I’ve been shooting single shot break barrels my whole life but it would be a bonus for the Airforce Condor to be a repeater, but I am also wanting to purchase the Air Venturi Avenge-X after seeing some videos and reviews after WM advised it 👍🏼. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: GenXer
I did some more digging on the Neutronstar, read reviews, seen videos and Yes the rifle looks amazing and performs well but many owners complaints are the fact that at some point the rifle begins to lose pressure and has some leak issues as well as accuracy issues and many of them state the fact that customer service is not so great, lack of communication and the longevity of repairs. And it is a very nice rifle when everything is working the way it should be, so with that said I think as my first time purchasing a PCP I will stay away from Hatsan because it appears to be the same on going issues with these line of rifles. So I think I may go with the Airforce because every where I dig it has nothing but good reviews ( yes there are some bad also, but I think most is user error) but no complaints about customer service and the rifle is a power house which some adjustments can be made according to one’s liking and it is very customizable. My only dislike is the fact that it is a single shot but then again I’ve been shooting single shot break barrels my whole life but it would be a bonus for the Airforce Condor to be a repeater, but I am also wanting to purchase the Air Venturi Avenge-X after seeing some videos and reviews after WM advised it 👍🏼. Thank you.
You got it. They end up leaking before they should. Excellent investigation.

Hatsan accuracy is a gamble. Some are great, some are atrocious.

Their customer service is abhorrent. I'm sure someone out there has had an acceptable experience but it damn sure wasn't me.

All pcp's will eventually need seals but there's a reasonable limit to when that should become an issue.

In my opinion you are choosing the two best rifles that you mentioned in the original post. Be sure to share when you get them.