Crosman New 1701p first PCP

The 1701 can do 25yards with no problems. Maybe I can. But I only have 13 yards at me disposal to shoot from at home. I can load up and drive to a friends farm and shoot . But that would be Field Target from 10- 55 yard with my springers. That is also a thing I do. The Silhouette is for evenings and Saturday morning or just relaxing at home in my shop.

I have not been able to shoot since 2017. But now I am trying to get some people together for FT competition. So I gotta get shooting again and practice. And if I have to drive someplace it do it . It takes to much time. Shooting from home is key to shooting a lot. Serious competition practice can be 2-3 hundred pellets a day. I can’t do that anymore.
But here’s what I have to work with.

I’ll be in my garage shooting through a door across a patio at the fence. My target trap is a standard metal cone from Gamo reinforced to handle practice .
The Silhouette makes 60 db of sound and my Tx 200 is over 100. But that’s at the gun . The TX makes a thump into my target trap and my Diana 48 is way louder that that. The Silhouette is really silent outside with birds and lawnmowers keeping a steady 40 db drone. It’s totally unnoticeable.

First thing I’m going to do while pellet testing is chronograph a shot string. So I can figure the flattest pressure point.

Pumping ten to fifteen times is easy. But going from 1500-3000 psi. Is like biathlon training. Push the heartbeat up pumping the gun. Then sit and relax the heartbeat.
This is a lot of fun.

IMG_5996.jpeg

I hear you about driving to the range but 13 yards is a decent distance. At that distance I'm betting you keep it within .50". I have 22 feet in my garage I usually use a P-3 which is perfect. Sometimes I use the 2300S which has a bark to it. The 1300KT or 2289 pumped just 2X it's perfect for shooting in the garage. I go to the range once a week to stretch it out to 25 yards. I sure do miss them 2.5 acre :(.

Gotta love the 1701P. I've had mine for about a year and a half and I just love it. I use it mostly in the winter down in the basement, but it sees a fair amount of casual shooting outside along side my rifles. The LW barrel seems to like everything I've fed it. Gammo round ball, JSB 7.33, 7.87 and 8.44 all shoot great. I haven't adjusted anything on mine yet and I get 50+ shots per fill. The sweet spot for mine starts at about 2600PSI and runs down to about 1700PSI. For what I do with it, it came set up just right.

I got the trigger side cover today. I still have to paint it flat black. And bake it .

It will give me a chance to peek at the trigger. I don’t need to do anything to it. Just look maybe a drop of oil .

View attachment 487961
Hmm, what's the story with the side cover? Is it to see when you adjust the trigger?

Reactions: Bandito
I don’t know why I don’t like the plastic part. But I just like the aluminum part better. It’s really no different. I did look at the trigger but did not adjust anything.

After a quick coat of primer I hit it with chalk board paint. It’s a flat black paint I have on hand. I put a couple drops of magic oil on the pivots and it’s all set to receive the new scope for the weekend.

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6151.jpeg

I don’t know why I don’t like the plastic part. But I just like the aluminum part better. It’s really no different. I did look at the trigger but did not adjust anything.

After a quick coat of primer I hit it with chalk board paint. It’s a flat black paint I have on hand. I put a couple drops of magic oil on the pivots and it’s all set to receive the new scope for the weekend.

View attachment 488030

View attachment 488031
Ok, thanks for the reply/info. I had no idea they had a trigger side cover that was aluminum :unsure:.

Well that’s not what I was expecting.

I got the scope from Pyramid air and mounted it up carefully. Then using my trusty old tin of dusty Premieres I sight it in.
It was three inch left and one inch low out of the box. A couple quick knob turns got it in pretty well and it was easy to see the pellets hit the paper with the chrystal clear scope. Once sighted in with the Premiers I figured I would just pump it up to 3000 and sight it in with my JSM Match 7.33 pellets. First five shots are a little low to the right. But that is five shots!

My whole goal was to shoot a stack of five shots in one clean hole.
I need a better goal.

That’s five shots with a hole measuring .182! And a CtoC of .005 from 13 yards. New personal best on the first try with the new scope.
Dang! This thing can shoot.

IMG_6177.jpeg

IMG_6181.jpeg

Well two days later and I have not been able to repeat that. I get plenty of three leaf clovers or tear outs where the target rips.
Also playing with some heavy pellets like 10.3 exacts from JSB. The margins of error are all within a 1/4 inch . But getting the perfect stack takes luck and practice. I can see my muscle memory coming back. Holding on target is getting better.
Gotta stretch this thing out .

Set up this morning to test the gun for pellet speed vs weight at pressure. I am also shooting a target for accuracy. But my focus is on the chronograph.

Really amazing results
I started with 10.5 Benjamin.

I pumped it up to 3000 psi and shot till it went to 1400 psi. That took eighty shots !

The first ten were
hi of 376
Lo 350
Av 358
Es 26
Ds 8
After forty good shots the pressure dropped to 2500psi and that seems to be where it gets sweet.
Pellets 41 to 51 had
Hi 386
Lo 376
Av 381
Es 10
sd 2
The standard deviation from 30-40 was 4 and as it dropped to 2000 psi it was still shooting
Hi380
Lo 370
Av374
Es 10
Sd of 3
Then the power dropped the hi to 375 and the low of 355 SD was 4 but I stopped there.
It is amazing the beginning power was not better than after 80 shots but the SD improved with lower pressure.

Next is to test with 8.3

Very nice. 2500-2700 seems to be the spot on these Prodish guns. Both my Prods and 1720 and the 1701 are like that.

I opened up my transfer port to exactly between the stock 1701 and the 1720.

I am shooting 7.4 Match lights just under 600fps.
Punches better holes in the paper and the chipmunks. Gives about 25 shots in the sweets.

99% of my shooting demands stealth, low power and first shot accuracy. The 1701 is so perfect.

Yes it is
This is the final test and by far the best.
7.33 JSB match

60 shots this time.

Hi 488-458
Low 480-445
Av. 481-452
ExS 4-20
SD 0-10. Yes zero deviation and the ten shot hole was measuring 3.79.
That was string 3. Between 2600 psi and 2400 psi.
The next string was a SD of 3 and dropped to 2150 psi but still made a very small hole under 1/2 inch. Actually every group with every pellet put them all under a dime. Every shot from 13 yards and it’s windy.

Going to probably stick with pellets under 8 gr and not pump it up past 2750psi.

I use the AA version of the 7.33. It’s a magic pellet, especially in my HW30.

For lower power guns, most of mine, I stick with wad cutters. I seldom shoot past 25 yards when at home.

But it’s all about the Walther barrels. I have 6 in house and all but one are on guns that shoot under 700fps. It’s silly, but I really don’t want another gun without.

Now that I have found the sweet spot of pressure I am going to accuracy test some pellets.

When I first mounted the scope and got it on paper with older pellets. I switched to a match pellet to do the final dial In. That has been my best group since. While testing the speed of the pellets I could not get a nice tight group like that. Just little three and four bump holes. I think it’s because I am shooting away the aim point. First pellet hits and I aim at the hole . And then the next is off some.
So for pellet testing I am going to move the aim point one mil dot right. And shoot five pellets per group. Then see if that changes the group size. I have a bunch of choices from 8.4 to 7.0 to play with. I have not adjusted any thing on the gun yet.

The 1701 can do 25yards with no problems. Maybe I can. But I only have 13 yards at me disposal to shoot from at home. I can load up and drive to a friends farm and shoot . But that would be Field Target from 10- 55 yard with my springers. That is also a thing I do. The Silhouette is for evenings and Saturday morning or just relaxing at home in my shop.

I have not been able to shoot since 2017. But now I am trying to get some people together for FT competition. So I gotta get shooting again and practice. And if I have to drive someplace it do it . It takes to much time. Shooting from home is key to shooting a lot. Serious competition practice can be 2-3 hundred pellets a day. I can’t do that anymore.
But here’s what I have to work with.

I’ll be in my garage shooting through a door across a patio at the fence. My target trap is a standard metal cone from Gamo reinforced to handle practice .
The Silhouette makes 60 db of sound and my Tx 200 is over 100. But that’s at the gun . The TX makes a thump into my target trap and my Diana 48 is way louder that that. The Silhouette is really silent outside with birds and lawnmowers keeping a steady 40 db drone. It’s totally unnoticeable.

First thing I’m going to do while pellet testing is chronograph a shot string. So I can figure the flattest pressure point.

Pumping ten to fifteen times is easy. But going from 1500-3000 psi. Is like biathlon training. Push the heartbeat up pumping the gun. Then sit and relax the heartbeat.
This is a lot of fun.

View attachment 487815
very nice shooting congrats on your new PCP . , missed getting a 1701 @ the last show i went to