• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A New and need help choosing a PCP rifle

I am new to the air game and need help putting a rig together. I have been shooting precision rifles for decades and recently decided to give a PCP a try for shooting precision target and pests around my property. Mostly groundhogs and midnight missions against raccoons in and around my chicken coop. Shots out to 150 yards. I am leaning towards a .25, but that is as far as I have gotten. I want the highest quality I can get without going past the point of diminishing returns. Buy once cry once. Best speed without it being a broomstick. Quiet is important to me. And I want the rifle to be more accurate than me on my best day. :D

Semi vs bolt?
Brand?
New vs Used?
Brands?

I am open to any and all suggestions. Please help me to learn this new sport! Thanks!

I do like my M3s.

20240627_161834.jpg

20240604_180758.jpg

Want semi and compact, with the ability to easy tune your gun to your liking? Got for a huben GK1.

I've never shot a BRK ghost, but similar in power and shotcount as well as cheaper is the FX Wildcat BT .25 compact that gets you 50-60 shots per fill.

Want a lego gun? Get an impact m3, pricey but worth it.

20240626_112029.jpg

I personally prefer walnut and steel bolt/lever traditional rifles. IMHBAO 150 yards is a long way to be shooting pellets or slugs for the type of targets you describe. The top brands, in the order of price, quality and non-bottle (my personal prefernece) would be: American Air Arms Paradigm, Daystate Huntsman, Air Arms S510 FAC Carbine, and BSA R10 (which does use a small buddy bottle)

IMG_1786.jpg

Huntsman Astile.jpg

AAS510 Carbine.jpg

BSA R10 Sparrow Watch.jpg

If you're wanting to take pests out to 150 yards that eliminates a-lot of choices right off the get go. I found the FX stuff models I purchased to not be suited to my needs so retired them from pest duty to paper punching. I'm currently using an RTI P-3 and liking it, so far it's been a grab and go rifle which the FX's were not.
Do some searching on here about FX POI shift and fist shots being low or slow before committing to one. There is a fair amount of back and forth over the topics but they keep getting brought up for a reason. My Wildcat Mk III Bt Sniper suffers from a bit of reg creep and takes a few shots to settle in after sitting several days and minor POI shifts that are unpredictable. Hence the good situationally but not grab and go friendly.

I am new to the air game and need help putting a rig together. I have been shooting precision rifles for decades and recently decided to give a PCP a try for shooting precision target and pests around my property. Mostly groundhogs and midnight missions against raccoons in and around my chicken coop. Shots out to 150 yards. I am leaning towards a .25, but that is as far as I have gotten. I want the highest quality I can get without going past the point of diminishing returns. Buy once cry once. Best speed without it being a broomstick. Quiet is important to me. And I want the rifle to be more accurate than me on my best day. :D

Semi vs bolt?
Brand?
New vs Used?
Brands?

I am open to any and all suggestions. Please help me to learn this new sport! Thanks!
@Blanks66
If you forget the semi option, you’ll have a plethora of choices in magazine-fed repeaters. The semis on the market are not really long-range precision shooters. Look at what competitive shooters are using. Some of those are the guns to look at. Also reaching out to 150 yards you’re going to want something that shoots pellets and airgun slugs well. If you’re willing to look at .30 caliber rifles, the American Air Arms (AAA) Evol line is nice. There are some new developments in the works at AAA so you may want to wait on them to be released. Long-range isn’t my game, but I have a .30 Evol and a .25 Brocock that I’ve shot over just over 100 yards to my satisfaction with pellets. Those brands are pretty good quality. I’d also look at Daystate (Brocock/BRK is under the Daystate umbrella). These are quality guns. I can’t speak to some of these other brands or guns people are suggesting due to lack of experience with them.

Buying used from a reputable and honest seller might be ok. If you can afford new I suggest that you buy a new rifle. If for nothing else you have a decent warranty and you’re the first owner which helps narrow down if something is a warranty issue or the result of someone fiddling with the gun.

Last edited:
After reading the comments, I must've skipped over the 150yd part. I would still recommend the FX Impact, I had the mk2 and I was able to take iguanas out to 215yds with mine, didnt matter if it was .22 or .30.

I would also recommend the FX Bobcat, I believe someone on the forum is selling the one I had, it won't shoot slugs, but I routinely would take down iguanas at 130yds with it, it's a .30 cal.

I would also recommend the K1 .25 and the vulcan .25, both cheaper than an impact and are power houses right out of the box and if you like wooden furniture they both have options for it.

Reactions: SteveV and Rizz01

Semi vs bolt?
Brand?
New vs Used?
Brands?

Your distance requirement immediately requires a .25 cal or even .30 to maintain sufficient FPE to accurately dispatch and kill critters at distances out to 150 yards.
Compacts are typically not that gun....
typically a longer or longish barrel is used as it makes generating the essential Speed / FPE much easier.
The larger you go in caliber and FPE the more air you will used and the more noise you will create.
Shrouded barrels with moderators will be required to tame the bark on these beasts.
A .25 or .30 Ghost or Deltawolf may be your best choice but def a buy once cry once choice. Now add in the need to provide air source (fill tanks) to your budget.
Daystate products have 5 year warranties and that is a big plus.

People who cheap out on air source buy crappy cheap compressors that can introduce moisture into their guns and cause maintenance issues thereafter.

Lots of good choices “used” in classifieds but look at the sellers feedback so you KNOW who your dealing with.

Last edited:
I would find a used Wildcat MK3 or Taipan Veteran 1 if you can find a good deal, or buy a new Gamo/BSA pcp. The Urban, Coyote, R10, etc are good first pcp choices. They are accurate, durable, and quiet. You can get a Coyote new for about $450, and the Urban is $250-300. And a GX CS3 or CS4 will have you off and running for a while.

Edit to add: I thought there was a low budget restriction on this one. If you dont mind spending a little just buy a new Taipan Vet Gen 1 from Tony at Talon Tunes while he still has a couple left. They have a stellar reputation for being top tier accurate and top tier quiet. I dont think you will find better in those two categories at any price. Or if you can spend a little the more the FX Maverick/Wildcat/Impact Compact are fantastic choices too.

Last edited:
Want semi and compact, with the ability to easy tune your gun to your liking? Got for a huben GK1.

I've never shot a BRK ghost, but similar in power and shotcount as well as cheaper is the FX Wildcat BT .25 compact that gets you 50-60 shots per fill.

Want a lego gun? Get an impact m3, pricey but worth it.

View attachment 475624
Are you still getting enough velocity out of the short barrel?