• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A New and need help choosing a PCP rifle

Glad to see this post- I’m in the same situation. I’m looking to get back at it after selling my Wildcat a few years ago. I have been looking at the Ghost and some similar Daystate offerings. Best of luck with your search, hope to see a lot of feedback.
Thanks bro! I have been in the pew pew game all my life, but this is the first that I have ever noticed the potential on the PCP rigs. Good luck with your search- let me know what you end up with! :)

If you're wanting to take pests out to 150 yards that eliminates a-lot of choices right off the get go. I found the FX stuff models I purchased to not be suited to my needs so retired them from pest duty to paper punching. I'm currently using an RTI P-3 and liking it, so far it's been a grab and go rifle which the FX's were not.
Do some searching on here about FX POI shift and fist shots being low or slow before committing to one. There is a fair amount of back and forth over the topics but they keep getting brought up for a reason. My Wildcat Mk III Bt Sniper suffers from a bit of reg creep and takes a few shots to settle in after sitting several days and minor POI shifts that are unpredictable. Hence the good situationally but not grab and go friendly.
Does the RTI take AR style grips?

Are you still getting enough velocity out of the short barrel?
My GK1? Oh yeah, I have set up 16gr to shoot 800fps for about 3 mags from a 350b fill. 21.9g aea pellets going 900fps for about 1.5mags from 350b fill, I even ran the 33.33gr Huben peanut slugs and the highest I tried to run those was 980, followed by 960, then 940s then 950's then 920's and it continued to fall.

@Blanks66 are you wanting to shoot slugs or pellets primarily? Most but not all PCP rifles come from the factory with barrels for pellets. That should be a consideration. Buy one that comes set up for your needed purpose or know that you will have to order from a dealer that can alter it to suit your needs or know that you will have to also purchase additional barrels and other kits to make it do what you want.

Reactions: Blanks66
@Blanks66 are you wanting to shoot slugs or pellets primarily? Most but not all PCP rifles come from the factory with barrels for pellets. That should be a consideration. Buy one that comes set up for your needed purpose or know that you will have to order from a dealer that can alter it to suit your needs or know that you will have to also purchase additional barrels and other kits to make it do what you want.
I would think that slugs would be best for hunting and range?

I would think that slugs would be best for hunting and range?
Depends on the critter and distance and backstop etc. Hades pellets are amazing and the best pellet we have tested as far as terminal performance. Others really like the Polymags but I have never tried them out. Slugs are great for longer distances and bigger critters when you need more expansion and/or penetration. Pellets are the best choice when you have property damage or people damage possible, like shooting into bushes or through tree tops. Pellets dont start with the same amount of energy due to speed limits and shed energy really fast when compared to a slug. Slugs will be dangerous for several hundred yards so you need to be very careful with your backstop and ricochets etc. I use my pcps for hunting exclusively and here is what I have found to work the best so far:

-177 JSB Knockouts 10g MK3 at 900-1000fps for things like squirrels and pigeon sized birds. Hunting Range ~70yds
-22 Hades and Nielsen 17.5g at 950-1050fps for things like squirrels and pigeon sized birds, can also work well on skunks/opossum sized critters. Hunting Range ~60-100yds
-25 Hades and Nielsen 34.9g and H&N Slug II 38-44g for things like racoon or coyote sized critters. We use them for long shot ground squirrels too. Hunting Range ~200yds

Keep in mind you will need to be very skilled to be able to responsibly hit some of these goals so your mileage may vary. I mostly am shooting know distances from a fixed prone-ish position, and use my 22Cal Impact for walking around for the short distance stuff. There is a trade off between pellet speed and usable distance. For example I push the 22Cal Hades way faster than they should go, well over 1000fps. This makes them erratic past about 60yds and the wind affects them more when compared to stable speeds. But unfortunately terminal performance is very speed critical, especially with pellets so I choose to favor fps. I feel its the most fair thing I can do for the pests, I just make sure to know my limits and my equipment. There is more to learn on this subject than anyone will have the opportunity for in a single life time. Good luck lol

Reactions: RossK
Depends on the critter and distance and backstop etc. Hades pellets are amazing and the best pellet we have tested as far as terminal performance. Others really like the Polymags but I have never tried them out. Slugs are great for longer distances and bigger critters when you need more expansion and/or penetration. Pellets are the best choice when you have property damage or people damage possible, like shooting into bushes or through tree tops. Pellets dont start with the same amount of energy due to speed limits and shed energy really fast when compared to a slug. Slugs will be dangerous for several hundred yards so you need to be very careful with your backstop and ricochets etc. I use my pcps for hunting exclusively and here is what I have found to work the best so far:

-177 JSB Knockouts 10g MK3 at 900-1000fps for things like squirrels and pigeon sized birds. Hunting Range ~70yds
-22 Hades and Nielsen 17.5g at 950-1050fps for things like squirrels and pigeon sized birds, can also work well on skunks/opossum sized critters. Hunting Range ~60-100yds
-25 Hades and Nielsen 34.9g and H&N Slug II 38-44g for things like racoon or coyote sized critters. We use them for long shot ground squirrels too. Hunting Range ~200yds

Keep in mind you will need to be very skilled to be able to responsibly hit some of these goals so your mileage may vary. I mostly am shooting know distances from a fixed prone-ish position, and use my 22Cal Impact for walking around for the short distance stuff. There is a trade off between pellet speed and usable distance. For example I push the 22Cal Hades way faster than they should go, well over 1000fps. This makes them erratic past about 60yds and the wind affects them more when compared to stable speeds. But unfortunately terminal performance is very speed critical, especially with pellets so I choose to favor fps. I feel its the most fair thing I can do for the pests, I just make sure to know my limits and my equipment. There is more to learn on this subject than anyone will have the opportunity for in a single life time. Good luck lol
Well put. Most of my pest control is not bound by neighbors so no houses or people but still mindful as I use slugs exclusively at long range, often well past 100 yards. I do have some problematic groundhogs that need dealt with on the one side of my property where those things are a concern. This has me heavily considering a compact dedicated pellet rifle in a smaller caliber. The options are nearly legion but leaning towards either another RTI or an AGT of some sort.

Reactions: MongooseV8