• *The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

New barrel manufacturing

How much equipment do you need to actually make these barrels fit your gun? Each brand has their own fitting and securing system. Some guns thread their barrels and others use grub screws. At 450 a pop, I'd be looking for plug and play.
For $450.00 there is no.reason not to buy a established bench rest manufacture like Krieger, Benchmark, Hart, Lilja, Brought on ect...All these barrel manufacturers make barrels that withstand up to 100,000 psi made of416 stainless and capable of.extreme precision.....many world records... Ect. For $68.00 I bought a Chaszel 22lr barrel liner 28 inches crowned chambered 12 twist... I hand lead lapped and its a decent barrel.... I just cut off.the 22 lr chamber to use in my condor..... It only had a little chatter.in rifleing...not bad.

Reactions: sb327
For $450.00 there is no.reason not to buy a established bench rest manufacture like Krieger, Benchmark, Hart, Lilja, Brought on ect...All these barrel manufacturers make barrels that withstand up to 100,000 psi made of416 stainless and capable of.extreme precision.....many world records... Ect. For $68.00 I bought a Chaszel 22lr barrel liner 28 inches crowned chambered 12 twist... I hand lead lapped and its a decent barrel.... I just cut off.the 22 lr chamber to use in my condor..... It only had a little chatter.in rifleing...not bad.
This is my position as well. Krieger is well established and has many wins under its belt and charges $440. It is also cut rifled. All other top players in the game are cheaper ( that I’m aware of).

Also, consider this…Button rifled barrels have been winning all the top spots in Rimfire for years. Rimfire uses a soft lead non-jacketed projectile at sub-sonic velocities just like air.

Shilen and Muller are always at the top of the list in Rimfire. A Shilen can be had for $320.

I feel the company can do well if their product does good on production rifles, that seems to be who they are marketing to right now. At $450, they don’t seem to be too eager to get these into the hands of people like us, which is admittedly a very small group/market. Best for them to focus on volume demands first. I highly doubt they charge as much per barrel for the volume orders from manufacturers. That’s understandable.

Dave

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Some good points here...

I was just browsing on mcgowen and could get custom contoured, crowned, threaded, chambered and fluted barrel in the same price range.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I bet this new Sub Moa barrel company has a huge investment in modern equipment that a portion of the profits need to go towards paying this off and many other types of expenditures. This means $$$$$$

Since this brand new equipment has virtually no wear on it it has the potential to put out the most precise barrels around.
However I venture to say that there is a finesse involved in processes of making a barrel that might not be learned yet by the guys running the machines. You know the small things that more experienced companies have learned along the way through many years of experience in this field. This might even require some hands on massaging.

Also a good barrel is only part of the equation. The Smith must know what he is doing or .......

Now we need more stout pcp actions capable of hanging heavy barrels on for target rifles. I'd like to see the Huben air delivery system used as well.

This is my position as well. Krieger is well established and has many wins under its belt and charges $440. It is also cut rifled. All other top players in the game are cheaper ( that I’m aware of).

Also, consider this…Button rifled barrels have been winning all the top spots in Rimfire for years. Rimfire uses a soft lead non-jacketed projectile at sub-sonic velocities just like air.

Shilen and Muller are always at the top of the list in Rimfire. A Shilen can be had for $320.

I feel the company can do well if their product does good on production rifles, that seems to be who they are marketing to right now. At $450, they don’t seem to be too eager to get these into the hands of people like us, which is admittedly a very small group/market. Best for them to focus on volume demands first. I highly doubt they charge as much per barrel for the volume orders from manufacturers. That’s understandable.

Dave
Well put, but, can I get one of these barrels with the designated fitting for my air rifle, or do I need to have a machine shop, to do this?

Reactions: Dairyboy
rangur1, no mention of price but they do say ready to drop in coming soon. Don't know about you personally but most people will need any barrel blank machined to fit and no guarantee it will be a golden barrel.

rm510, I can think of one reason IF they were to guarantee accuracy. I know one master airgun smith who purchased (I believe 8) bemchmark barrel's and 2 made the grade. Ouch! Now I would almost wager they would have shot as well as I do but not as well as he does. Also thinking the Lilja 3 grove (different smith) tried a few and had the same experience. A lot of money to but in the trash.
Now if.when they come out with the drop in ready AND guarantee MOA (or half moa, ya buddy) at 100m and add say 1-200 more to the price it would be a go to for the best shooters and people who have a bunch of cash and want the very best.

John

Reactions: rangur1
I'm all for this. Obviously I'd love to see price not as high but hey if it's a damn good barrel I'd be in for it. So far what I've seen is they will be used in AAAs, Ghosts(so assuming delta and Alpha wolf's if they use the same barrels), Western airguns, and Skouts. I wouldn't think twice about the AAAs or Skouts as I know both test their guns for accuracy before leaving the factory. I'd buy a .22 Skout or HPS Evol for slugs for sure with one if those barrels if they prove themselves.

Also knowing Tom's involvement I'd highly doubt any sub par materials would ever be used for the barrels. I'd assume being marketed as airgun use only is because of the airguns specific land and groove diameters and twists dealing with the subsonic velocities we use. NOT cause the barrels would be "too soft".

I don’t understand all you guys bitching price. What does a fx barrel kit cost? Around $600 for a daystate barrel!? Your spending $2000.00 on a airgun! You could buy a ruger precision 22lr for what $500 ? A lw barrel blank costs around $ 200 and you would spend at least $250 to have it machined? So why all the complaints?

I don’t understand all you guys bitching price. What does a fx barrel kit cost? Around $600 for a daystate barrel!? Your spending $2000.00 on a airgun! You could buy a ruger precision 22lr for what $500 ? A lw barrel blank costs around $ 200 and you would spend at least $250 to have it machined? So why all the complaints?
I agree. Don't get me wrong I wish everything was cheaper. But is what it is. For my T1X .22lr drop in I'd pay $500-$1000 depending on the barrel. It's a $500 gun. I'll pay more for an airgun barrel than the rimfire as I shoot it way more and can justify the cost.