New Discovery LPVO with side focus

Saw this posted on another forum. I am not affiliated with the YouTube channel. I went ahead and ordered one as well as the 2-12x24. Will see which one I like better. The 2-12x24 has shorter eye relief than the LPVO so it is unlikely to end up on my Leshiy2 or Classic. But we shall see.

I already have two Styrka 1-6x24 LPVOs with side focus but they have capped turrets and fine duplex reticles. I prefer tactical turrets and mil reticles.

Wow, this seems to be one of the very few LPVOs that has a parallax adjustment.

Please, do tell:

(1) Is the field of view of 133ft at 1x typical, or rather narrow, or rather wide?

(2) Would this scope be easy to shoot with both eyes open?

(3) How would this scope compare to a red dot for moving targets?

Thanks. 🫱🏻‍🫲🏼

Matthias

1516601521.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchibi
Wow, this seems to be one of the very few LPVOs that has a parallax adjustment.

Please, do tell: (1) Is the field of view of 133ft at 1x typical, or rather narrow, or rather wide?
(2) Would this scope be easy to shoot with both eyes open?

(3) How would this scope compare to a red dot for moving targets?

Thanks.

Matthias

View attachment 493804

The widest FOV I have seen in an LPVO is an Athlon 1-8x24 BTR Gen2. It is listed as 110 ft at 1x.

So with that said, I would assume 133.6' is quite wide, although I'd have to check specs on other scopes. I am skeptical it's really that wide.

Not sure about 1x performance but based on experience with other LPVOs I'm not expecting a both eyes open, RDS experience shooting at 1x.

Reactions: JungleShooter
I didn't even think to look if Wes had these. If I decide I need a second of either of these I'll check with him first.
He had the price reduced a bit for labour day and he gave me that price. I've purchased from him before and like dealing with him as he's got a good reputation up here. He also supports our Field Target Nationals with prizes.

Probably a dumb question, but why would the 1-8x24 ever be a better choice than the 2-12x24? The 2-12 is shorter, weighs less and is cheaper. I'm guessing I'm missing something.

In my case I wanted to try it primarily for the longer eye relief. Most of my air rifles are Leshiys & I have had a difficult time getting comfortable with any scope with less than 3.5" eye relief. And since I want to try a NV rear clip on the longer eye relief will help make that less awkward. Or so I've been told.

I have a vestibular condition (my avatar is the surgery required for even partial relief) & I do sometimes dial down to 1x, especially for off hand shooting to minimize some of the weird visual symptoms i get. But that would not be enough to make me choose the 1x over 2x minimum magnification.

Shorter scopes come with some optical compromises but so do 8x erector so I'm not expecting one to be better than the other. Am curious to compare the two.

In my case I wanted to try it primarily for the longer eye relief. Most of my air rifles are Leshiys & I have had a difficult time getting comfortable with any scope with less than 3.5" eye relief. And since I want to try a NV rear clip on the longer eye relief will help make that less awkward. Or so I've been told.

I have a vestibular condition (my avatar is the surgery required for even partial relief) & I do sometimes dial down to 1x, especially for off hand shooting to minimize some of the weird visual symptoms i get. But that would not be enough to make me choose the 1x over 2x minimum magnification.

Shorter scopes come with some optical compromises but so do 8x erector so I'm not expecting one to be better than the other. Am curious to compare the two.
Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense.

In my case I wanted to try it primarily for the longer eye relief.

I am seeing the specs for the 1-8x24 — and the eye relief is
from 4.0" (10.2cm)
to 3.4" (8.6cm)

meaning that at 8x you have a rather short eye relief.

Not sure what the eye relief on the 2-12x24 is....

Matthias

I am seeing the specs for the 1-8x24 — and the eye relief is
from 4.0" (10.2cm)
to 3.4" (8.6cm)

meaning that at 8x you have a rather short eye relief.

Not sure what the eye relief on the 2-12x24 is....

Matthias

I believe it's 3.2" to 3 4" on the 2-12x24, so maybe not as different as what was posted on the other forum.

I'll share my results when I get them

Reactions: JungleShooter
I like the 1-8x32 FFP — if I am not mistaken it would allow shots with both eyes open — something I would like very much as I have some very short-rangeshort-acquisition-and-shoot scenarios.

However, even if it's a 1x, it's still a scope, and will have to carefully align the gun with my eye. That's taking quite a bit of time.
The dot sight is so much faster — not much alignment needed, just place the dot on the killzone and trigger squeeze!

It's just that I only get a 1x magnification on the dot sight — over against the 8x top magnification.

Now, if the 1-8x32 was as small and light as the 2-12x32 — this would be a strong argument in favor of the scope over the dot sight.
But since it has to go on a 12.8" short pistol (32.5cm) — this is important.

The scope nut in me still would like to buy the 1-8x32 — even if it does not have a clearly defined purpose, but I should probably buy it used and for less $. 👍🏼

Matthias 😃

Reactions: longdog
I like the 1-8x32 FFP — if I am not mistaken it would allow shots with both eyes open — something I would like very much as I have some very short-rangeshort-acquisition-and-shoot scenarios.

However, even if it's a 1x, it's still a scope, and will have to carefully align the gun with my eye. That's taking quite a bit of time.
The dot sight is so much faster — not much alignment needed, just place the dot on the killzone and trigger squeeze!

It's just that I only get a 1x magnification on the dot sight — over against the 8x top magnification.

Now, if the 1-8x32 was as small and light as the 2-12x32 — this would be a strong argument in favor of the scope over the dot sight.
But since it has to go on a 12.8" short pistol (32.5cm) — this is important.

The scope nut in me still would like to buy the 1-8x32 — even if it does not have a clearly defined purpose, but I should probably buy it used and for less $. 👍🏼

Matthias 😃

@JungleShooter have you looked into the new Holosun NV RDS?

It has a 1x red dot.

It has turrets.

It has 1x, 4x & 8x magnification.

It has night vision.

I may not have the magnification options correct, but I think it's around there.

@JungleShooter have you looked into the new Holosun NV RDS?

It has a 1x red dot.

It has turrets.

It has 1x, 4x & 8x magnification.

It has night vision.

I may not have the magnification options correct, but I think it's around there.

Yeah, that's one more terrible idea for my bank account!!
But wonderful for my ratting and pigeoning rig!! 😆

I don't see finger adjustable turrets.
But 1-8x (digital) magnification. Nice.

🔶️ And you want to make a wonderful idea even more wonderful? Now they have a similar package — with night vision and thermal vision combined in an overlay.... 😎

Terrrrrrible ideas for my bank account.... 😉

Matthias

Link:

Reactions: Scouty