• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Impact and Crown barrel band design

Check out my new Impact and Crown barrel design, It will use two large o-rings stretched over the top of the Barrel. This one will work with the different extended bipod mounts and the pump actions.
Screenshot 7.1619966493.png

Mr,

This is a well thought out, simple solution ( read 'Elegant') to a common issue that seems to plague the Impact/Maverick Platforms? However a picture of a 3D CAD Model is relatively easy to do, the hard part is actually making and testing!

With that being said, if you do get to that stage and it proves successful, I would be interested in one ?

Best of Luck

Joe 😎

Will this also work with the Maverick?

I'm not sure if they would work on the Maverick, but all check

By any chance are you going to offer the STL file or do you plan on selling them. Just curious.

I'm working with Utah airguns to add a STL File site to there web page for a small fee or maybe free. I might see Justin tomorrow all ask him if he as given any more thought to adding this to there site. I'm not above giving the STL away, but I rather make it available to the airgun community with help from Utah Airguns.

Mr,

This is a well thought out, simple solution ( read 'Elegant') to a common issue that seems to plague the Impact/Maverick Platforms? However a picture of a 3D CAD Model is relatively easy to do, the hard part is actually making and testing!

With that being said, if you do get to that stage and it proves successful, I would be interested in one ?

Best of Luck

Joe 😎

Your point is understood if your thinking about making it from a aluminum or a molding process, But in the modeling world of 3d printing it easy, I have one already made. It prints in about 6 hours 

Will this also work with the Maverick?

I'm not sure if they would work on the Maverick, but all check

By any chance are you going to offer the STL file or do you plan on selling them. Just curious.

I'm working with Utah airguns to add a STL File site to there web page for a small fee or maybe free. I might see Justin tomorrow all ask him if he as given any more thought to adding this to there site. I'm not above giving the STL away, but I rather make it available to the airgun community with help from Utah Airguns.

Mr,

Best of Luck

Joe 😎

Your point is understood if your thinking about making it from a aluminum or a molding process, But in the modeling world of 3d printing it easy, I have one already made. It prints in about 6 hours

Since you have printed one do tell, Fit, Function, any noticeable effect on Accuracy/POI? It looks to support the barrel under the Shroud, or is it the 14mm outer sleeve?

Thx

Joe 😎

Your design may work in aluminum, but not in 3D plastic. My statement is based on my experience with Ohio Air Gun's barrel clamp, which is 3D printed. First these carbon fiber bottles are neither round nor dimensionally exact on the OD. This is because the OD is not machined. it is simply molded and some variation would be normal. The first consideration is the narrow gap between the barrel shroud and the bottle. It is approximately .060" to .072" . The second consideration is the low density of 3D plastic material and its tendency to deform (stretch) under tension. Because the 3D plastic's low density, it will not withstand high loading therefore it is incapable of being threaded successfully. The threads simply pull out. This 3D plastic has a very low yield point, so a successful design must compensate for this.

Let me also say that barrel clamps on these guns where the barrel is supported only at the breech end, really solves the session to session POI shift problem. My first experience with the OHIO Air gun clamp failed because the threads pulled out and the clamp split along the print lines from the expanding force of the conical surface of the flat head screws originally used. When I ordered my second clamp I bought, I asked that it come without screws and screw holes. After receiving the second clamp, I made two stainless steel plates a 1/2" wide the full width of the clamp 4mm thick. I drilled two holes in the plates with matching holes in the clamp. I tapped one plate M4 and used 2 screws to squeeze the clamp tight around the bottle with enough force to grip the bottle so it does not shift when inadvertently bumped. The stainless plates spread the clamping force over the whole width of the clamp evenly (1.100"). At that width, there is sufficient friction with the bottle to resist twisting when bumped. My experience indicates that the width should be increased to 1.250". The new clamp has been mounted for 8 months with no slippage. 

As far as MikeVV's concern about damaging the integrity of the bottle from the clamp squeeze, there is no chance. The expansion force from the pressurized air charge applied to the inner bottle wall alone exceeds the maximum squeeze force of the band by 1000 times, even if the band were made from steel. Do the math.