New interest in airguns.

cgdavid https://www.youtube.com/@theairgungeeks5106 Welcome to addiction. My name is Patrick and one the awesome hosts of the Airgun Geeks Podcast. I created the Podcast for new people and Airgun Geeks alike. You can check us out on YouTube or you can listen to us where you get your podcasts. You can find easily on Airgun Nation under Podcasts ant the bottom of the home page. Any question or topic you or anyone would like discussed let us know. Also check out our Webpage www.airgungeeks.com

Reactions: Airgun Al
I'm not apposed to discounted/used but for my first gun I'm using as a replacement for decades of bench shooting firearms, I want a clean start . Used guns of any kind generally come with problems (which is usually why they're sold). Until I'm a bit deeper into the obsession, I'd like a warranty to fall back on. I'm well versed in the mechanics of firearms but airguns are significantly different so my experience doesn't translate well. I came to this conclusion when I've had to wrench on my pest control gun a few times then realized I was out of my wheelhouse and sent it to someone who knows what they're doing. I'll learn but just not there yet. Sounds like I'm in the right place when I need help/guidance.

Impact and Skout are both complicated designs that aren't super novice friendly to work on. I would only advise though guns for someone more advanced, personally. Just my 2c.

The MAX 1 should be coming to market soon, similar form factor to the Impact, 700mm barrel, 36" OAL...fraction of the cost and likely fraction of the difficulty to diagnose / correct any leaks/issues.

I am sure other users here may have honorable mentions for you to consider outside of the 2 you currently have your eyes set on.

-Matt

Your lead time issue may be at least in part your choice of the new Impact in probably the most popular caliber. The RTI Prophet is not nearly as new but also has barrel and caliber interchangability. It may not be a problem for you if you will shoot from a bench but many report issues with FX rifles changing point of impact from one shooting session to the next. Their choice of a comparatively thin barrel so they can rifle it from the outside is likely a contributor if not the sole cause. I am not trying to say FX are bad, just that not everything about them is great.

Taipan Veteran is another more expensive gun that gets rave reviews including specifically it's trigger. I think RTI guns offer a lot of gun for the money and they use CZ barrels. They have several models.

My only benchrest style shooting is the 30 yard challenge. I prefer bullpups so that is what I shoot for that. I'm not great or anything but I have shot two "200s" with two different bullpups. Mine are not bottle guns, howver. But with something like the saber tactical bottle clamp to mount a picatinny I don't see why a bottle gun would not work great.

If you don't like the lead time on the Impact I would look at some other similar quality guns. You may find something you like even better.

Reactions: .20calguy
Welcome cgdavid.
I don’t have a benchrest background, but it is my preferred shooting style. I wound up with a Crown 600mm .30 cal, and my range has 30 and 75 yard backstops.
My first 75y group was .47 c to c x 9 shots 1 flyer.
That gun is crazy accurate and because I’m plinking and not punching paper, it’s not real challenging at 75y to hit the smallest targets. It is also overpowered for the range, damaging the steel store bought targets. So I wound up shooting a high end springer that fills the bill.
I haven’t grouped it at 75y yet, because it hasn’t yet been consistently accurate. That is my challenge with it. 75 yards is long range for this guy and I throw shots right and left because of “can’t”. I can’t see a level, and the plum-bob at the backstop is only reliable for close proximity targets, so I bought a “Send It” level, and a pack of bench rest targets to try out. The targets are 50y targets shooting at 75y though. It’s kind of nice not to have to charge the springer up just cock, load and shoot. The Crown gets three mags a charge, and they go quick.
IMG_3660.jpeg

I guess where I’m going here is are you considering air gun benchrest competition, because that rifle may be overkill for a backyard range.
I look forward to reading your posts.
All the best! 👍

Last edited:
I have about 60 yards to work with to the back of my property and I can shoot from my walkout basement door. There isn't anything behind my property (farm land) as far as the eye can see. I live on the very edge of town and won't disturb or otherwise concern neighbors. Safety isn't a concern. I mentioned I have airguns for pest control. Just about everyone near me has them for the same reason. Seems our area attracts starlings, squirrels, rabbits etc. I like the wildlife but the population gets way out of hand with the abundance of food the farmland behind us supplies. Law enforcement has never said anything to us before (A guy I shot BR with is LEO)

I've been looking at the FX impact, Skout epoch etc. class of guns I'm liking the Impact the best so far. The M4 trigger really peaks my interest. I've become somewhat of a trigger snob over the last few decades. My favorite trigger (while they were in business) was Jewel. After the time and money I've spent over the decades, these air rifles seem to be a good deal cost wise and an excellent foundation to modify/refine as my interest grows.

Some have mentioned (not in this forum) that I shouldn't start out with the upper end of mid-range of airguns until I'm sure I'll like the sport. I've had enough interests to know that I tend to like what interests me for a long time and working my way up in an interest usually costs me more money than just getting what I actually want out of the gate I'm in a very fortunate situation where I'm retired, have no debt and have enough money to indulge in things like this. Besides, I'm not spending tons of money BR shooting any more and have sold a lot of my equipment/rifles.

Guess none of it matters if I can't get the airgun I want. I hope I've just hit a rough patch in the supply chain cycle.

Thanks so much for the replies and sorry for the wall of text.
Talon Tunes is showing inventory of M4 snipers in both black and copper.

The impact rifles would be a good gun, but hope that you don't have to work on it. Not being familiar with airguns having something go wrong with one is a pain....especially if you are unsure of how to work on them.

The RAW or the Paradigm I messaged you about is much easier to work on. With far less seals and far less to worry about as well.

I'm trying to find out if there's an issue with airgun supplies. Seems everything I'm interested in is out of stock and nobody seems to know when/if available again. I keep getting the 4-6 weeks answer but they're still out of stock. I want to set my expectations to match reality in case there is some issue in airgun supply lines. Maybe the activity has become far more popular than I'm aware of and that's causing shortages.
Generally speaking, airguns and airgun supplies are rather abundant.

There are a few exceptions however:

1. Everyone is still waiting for the sub $600 airgun from FX.

2. Whiscombe and the SMG 22 airguns are rare, in short supply.

3. Altaros slugs in .30, and the AEA Center Punch 50.5 grain Pellets in .30 are no where to be found.

Thats about all I can think of, that are in short supply, or very difficult to get ahold of at the moment.

Welcome cgdavid.
I don’t have a benchrest background, but it is my preferred shooting style. I wound up with a Crown 600mm .30 cal, and my range has 30 and 75 yard backstops.
My first 75y group was .47 c to c x 9 shots 1 flyer.
That gun is crazy accurate and because I’m plinking and not punching paper, it’s not real challenging at 75y to hit the smallest targets. It is also overpowered for the range, damaging the steel store bought targets. So I wound up shooting a high end springer that fills the bill.
I haven’t grouped it at 75y yet, because it hasn’t yet been consistently accurate. That is my challenge with it. 75 yards is long range for this guy and I throw shots right and left because of “can’t”. I can’t see a level, and the plum-bob at the backstop is only reliable for close proximity targets, so I bought a “Send It” level, and a pack of bench rest targets to try out. The targets are 50y targets shooting at 75y though. It’s kind of nice not to have to charge the springer up just cock, load and shoot. The Crown gets three mags a charge, and they go quick.
View attachment 498400

I guess where I’m going here is are you considering air gun benchrest competition, because that rifle may be overkill for a backyard range.
I look forward to reading your posts.
All the best! 👍

Ive never felt that my Crown was overkill at 75 yards!
The beauty with a Crown, is its ability to quickly change barrel calibers from .30 to a .25, .22, or a .177 barrel, to reduce ( or increase) power.
And barrel lengths from 380mm to 500mm, 600mm, and even 700mm long.
The adjustable powerwheel and hammer spring adjuster are also instrumental in reducing and/or increasing power.
I believe the Crown, especially in a tactical chassis, would be a great choice, for the O.P. and his bench rest shooting.
Adjustable, modular, and far less complicated than a Impact!

Ive never felt that my Crown was overkill at 75 yards!
The beauty with a Crown, is its ability to quickly change barrel calibers from .30 to a .25, .22, or a .177 barrel, to reduce ( or increase) power.
And barrel lengths from 380mm to 500mm, 600mm, and even 700mm long.
The adjustable powerwheel and hammer spring adjuster are also instrumental in reducing and/or increasing power.
I believe the Crown, especially in a tactical chassis, would be a great choice, for the O.P. and his bench rest shooting.
Adjustable, modular, and far less complicated than a Impact!
Thanks Airgun Al.
I am actually way ahead of you on these thoughts. Lol
20240922_231109.jpg
That is my .22 cal change kit, with a 380mm barrel, but I am enjoying the heck out of the Weihrauch's at the moment.
👍

• Haha
Reactions: Airgun Al
I believe that the Impact horror stories are over-inflated, and I would offer these simple 3 items as advice:

1. Purchase brand new. Impacts are not Ruger 10/22's! Buying used, you never know what the previous owner has done inside.
2. Decide if you would like to shoot pellets, or slugs, PRIOR to purchasing , and have the dealer set it up for exactly the caliber, and pellet/slug you desire.
3. Simply use the external adjustments, as they were enginered to be used. Dont follow the Impact trend of opening it up, experimenting, and replaceing all sorts of non-oem hammer weights, springs, and voodo modifications, for whatever reason!

Do these 3, very simple things, and you'll likely never even need to utilize FX's excellent warranty support!

Thanks Airgun Al.
I am actually way ahead of you on these thoughts. Lol
View attachment 498497
That is my .22 cal change kit, with a 380mm barrel, but I am enjoying the heck out of the Weihrauch's at the moment.
👍
Bananas?
Oh! ...
There you go! That will definately reduce the "thump" of the almighty .30 Crown!

• Haha
Thanks so much!

Not sure how I didn't find Talon Tunes in all my searches but maybe that's why they have inventory.
Be aware, Tony makes sure his carp is correct when it leaves his shop. It took 2 weeks to get my Panthera, after he mounted extra bottle kit I ordered and made sure it didn't leak, and sighted in and checked for accuracy before shipping it just a day away.

Be aware, Tony makes sure his carp is correct when it leaves his shop. It took 2 weeks to get my Panthera, after he mounted extra bottle kit I ordered and made sure it didn't leak, and sighted in and checked for accuracy before shipping it just a day away.
I think that is the way it should be with all high end rifles.