New-ish member from Northern AZ

Hello everyone! I joined this wonderful site about a year ago and read here often. Decided to introduce myself and make my first post!

I am retired, living in Northern Arizona, and very much looking forward to starting down the air gun path. I have enjoyed hunting and competing with rifles and pistols for over 40 years, but other than a bb gun as a child, have never owned an air gun. I no longer hunt, but I am still active in USPSA, reloading, and shooting long range rifle for fun.

I have 15 yards in my basement, 60 yards in my backyard, 300 at my local range, and some steel out to a mile in the national forest. Lots of options.

I have been researching and learning ever day here, there is so much to learn! Some things cross over from firearms, but much does not.

I am looking at .177 and/or .22 PCP rifles, to shoot inside when it is snowing, and outside the rest of the year. I would like to be able to get out to maybe 60 to 100 yards, as I have firearms for longer range.

Most appealing is the ability to shoot at home when I do not feel like packing up and going to the range.

I have seen some of the matches at RIo Salado down in Phoenix. That also is very intriguing! Maybe Field Target or PRS down the road...

The Daystate Deltawolf has been the top contender so far. Not a beginners gun, but I am not afraid to experiment and learn as I go. I have not decided on air tanks and a compressor.
Must decide on caliber, the idea of easily swapping barrels is nice though.

Not decided on anything yet actually, but excited to jump in soon and start a new addiction!

Anyway thanks for the great forum!
-RR

Welcome to the forum. A few words of caution. Hide the credit cards and be very careful of the 401k balance. The Delta wolf is a great start. What you have now is a mute point. The new stuff will continue to roll in. Now, get going and may all your shots end up in the x ring.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
I too am a powder burner guy. I have a few "budget" PCP rifles and have been quite happy despite their limitations. I recently ordered another gun and had to return it for accuracy issues. AoA finally convinced me to get something "premium" and got a pre-owned Daystate Redwolf Safari HP in .25 cal. My long range shooting habits and thirst for accuracy justified the money spent. You might be a beginner at airguns but your skill/experience with regard to shooting may necessitate a premium gun. The Delta Wolf is extremely tunable and seems like it would be an excellent fit for you.
I must say, going this route may save you a few thousand bucks of "trial and error".
I believe you may be "cursed" by the fact that you reside in the same state as Airguns of Arizona. Everything you could want or need is a day or so away.👍
Good luck!

Welcome, RR...
We will be gathering at the Perry Pit on Lake Mary rd near Mormon Lake on the third Saturday if you want to come shoot with us. It's our monthly FT match. I'm sure lots of us will have loaners or let you try whatever piques your interest. I will probably have my Delta or Ghost in 20 cal and maybe a Red Wolf and EVOL...

It's a nice venue where many camp for the weekend and socialize and plink, as well. No cost to come check it out, either...

Bob

Welcome to AGN. Great place for information. I suggest picking up a P17 for indoor shooting to get your toes wet. Probably the best bang for the buck in pistols today. The backstop can be a cardboard box and some old jeans for starters. I suggest RWS Diabolo Basics for the pistol. Great combination

For your first rifle I suggest .22 caliber. Pellets go from 14 grains all the way up to 34 grains and are easily obtained. I recommend an analog rifle for starters. A Daystate Revere or Huntsman would be my first recommendation and will work very well.

I suggest looking at the GX series of compressors. I think they are available on Amazon with a warranty. Being air independent is awesome and has to be considered.

A large tank like a 88 cubic foot is cumbersome to carry to the range but has a lot of benefits. I suggest Topgun for your HPA supplies. They sell American made tanks and fittings.

Have fun and shoot straight!

Welcome to the rabbit hole!!
hmm...an indoor/outdoor rifle that's maybe for competition-with interchangeable barrels-i'm guessing that you also wanted externally adjusted regulators
since you mentioned a Delta Wolf, i am guessing that is the limit for your price range
Brocock Ghost
Skout Evo or Epoch
RTI Prophet 3 performance model
would be my top 3

If not an interchangeable barrel..
A RAW from Martin Rutterford
FX Impact m4(not certain if you change calibers)
AAA Evol
Airmaks Krait
Have you thought about a scope?(dig rabbit dig)
Have Fun!
Mike

Reactions: R&R1911
Welcome to the forum. A few words of caution. Hide the credit cards and be very careful of the 401k balance. The Delta wolf is a great start. What you have now is a mute point. The new stuff will continue to roll in. Now, get going and may all your shots end up in the x ring.
Thank you! I already have too many hobbies as it is... This is something I have wanted to get into for a long time, so here I go!
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you!!!
Welcome! I'm fairly new PCP's (3 years) and live in the Phoenix area. Let me know if I can answer any questions. I've own(ed) quite a few PCPs and can offer my experience.
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you! I appreciate the offer and might take you up on it!
I too am a powder burner guy. I have a few "budget" PCP rifles and have been quite happy despite their limitations. I recently ordered another gun and had to return it for accuracy issues. AoA finally convinced me to get something "premium" and got a pre-owned Daystate Redwolf Safari HP in .25 cal. My long range shooting habits and thirst for accuracy justified the money spent. You might be a beginner at airguns but your skill/experience with regard to shooting may necessitate a premium gun. The Delta Wolf is extremely tunable and seems like it would be an excellent fit for you.
I must say, going this route may save you a few thousand bucks of "trial and error".
I believe you may be "cursed" by the fact that you reside in the same state as Airguns of Arizona. Everything you could want or need is a day or so away.👍
Good luck!
Thank you!
I am not opposed to starting with a beginner type rifle, however I also know it is nice to start with quality and learn my way into it. I would rather go big and have exactly what I want. If it doesn't work, then I figure it out. I love long range and I love stacking projectiles into the same hole if I can.
I would rather my equipment not be a limiting factor. Me shooting is another story :)
I am not dead-set on the Delta Wolf, but it seems to check a lot of boxes for what I might want.
Welcome, RR...
We will be gathering at the Perry Pit on Lake Mary rd near Mormon Lake on the third Saturday if you want to come shoot with us. It's our monthly FT match. I'm sure lots of us will have loaners or let you try whatever piques your interest. I will probably have my Delta or Ghost in 20 cal and maybe a Red Wolf and EVOL...

It's a nice venue where many camp for the weekend and socialize and plink, as well. No cost to come check it out, either...

Bob
Thank you! That sounds like a blast!
I appreciate the invite and will see if I can make it!
Welcome to the best ! AGN ! (at least i think so ) reading your post i think you have a good firm idea what you want .
Stan in KY.
Thank you! I am open to anything I can learn. I need to handle some different rifles and go from there.
Welcome to AGN. Great place for information. I suggest picking up a P17 for indoor shooting to get your toes wet. Probably the best bang for the buck in pistols today. The backstop can be a cardboard box and some old jeans for starters. I suggest RWS Diabolo Basics for the pistol. Great combination

For your first rifle I suggest .22 caliber. Pellets go from 14 grains all the way up to 34 grains and are easily obtained. I recommend an analog rifle for starters. A Daystate Revere or Huntsman would be my first recommendation and will work very well.

I suggest looking at the GX series of compressors. I think they are available on Amazon with a warranty. Being air independent is awesome and has to be considered.

A large tank like a 88 cubic foot is cumbersome to carry to the range but has a lot of benefits. I suggest Topgun for your HPA supplies. They sell American made tanks and fittings.

Have fun and shoot straight!
Thank you!
I am more interest in rifles than anything else, I still shoot my powder pistols every week. My screen name is a hint ;)
The accessories are important and I am researching and reading as much as I can. All new to me so I am grateful for the help!
Welcome to the rabbit hole!!
hmm...an indoor/outdoor rifle that's maybe for competition-with interchangeable barrels-i'm guessing that you also wanted externally adjusted regulators
since you mentioned a Delta Wolf, i am guessing that is the limit for your price range
Brocock Ghost
Skout Evo or Epoch
RTI Prophet 3 performance model
would be my top 3

If not an interchangeable barrel..
A RAW from Martin Rutterford
FX Impact m4(not certain if you change calibers)
AAA Evol
Airmaks Krait
Have you thought about a scope?(dig rabbit dig)
Have Fun!
Mike
Thank you!
I know there is rarely one "do it all" tool...
I have two powder rifles that are switch-lug receivers. The ability to change calibers but keep the same chassis and scope are luxuries that are easy to get used to. I don't need a switch barrel and may never switch calibers on an air rifle, but I like the idea. As I said above, I am not stuck on the Delta Wolf, but it seems to have a lot of features and be something I will not outgrow quickly, if ever. I am happy for any and all suggestions, every bit of advice is helpful!
Scopes I have ;)))
Welcome to N AZ! Sounds like you're in either Williams or Flagstaff? I'm about 30 to 60 miles west of there. As people have already post beware of the bottomless pit that is PCPs.
Thank you!!!
I have lived many places... Moved to AZ in 1998, left in 2006, and returned two years ago. Happy to be back! I am southeast of Flagstaff.
Thanks for the warning, I'm good at diving head first into rabbit holes :)

R&R
Welcome to a great forum, full of much knowledge and mostly good folks.
Since you've been here for a while, you likely already know this, but I gotta throw props to this forum, it's REALLY good!
It seems that you are on the right track with a DW, although I believe that the Alpha is a slightly better option with a better scope rail (not cantilevered). Just a thought.
I also agree that having your own air source is the best, along with a good largish tank. If yer gonna shoot a lot of BR, I might suggest getting a regulator for tethered shooting.
As you have indicated, you are a person that can likely figure it out, but with the brain-trust here, there is also a lot of help.
You landed in a good place! Enjoy the ride!

mike

Welcome to Air Gun Nation!
I've shot air and powder burners since the late sixties, but got into PCP's more recently.
I started cheap with highly regarded beginner rifles, that didn't have the accuracy everyone boasted about. I was told that I was the common denominator, but dispelled that notion when I purchased a real rifle. (Real=Expensive) lol
I was an FX fan for years, but thought those were guns for doctors and lawyers. So that hooked me up with Utah Airguns, where I bought a used Crown.
I have been shooting Weihrauch guns, for which I do business with Airguns of Arizona.
The two cheepie's came from Pyramid Air.
20230604_201706.jpg20230529_181818.jpg

Reactions: R&R1911 and Rizz01
R&R
Welcome to a great forum, full of much knowledge and mostly good folks.
Since you've been here for a while, you likely already know this, but I gotta throw props to this forum, it's REALLY good!
It seems that you are on the right track with a DW, although I believe that the Alpha is a slightly better option with a better scope rail (not cantilevered). Just a thought.
I also agree that having your own air source is the best, along with a good largish tank. If yer gonna shoot a lot of BR, I might suggest getting a regulator for tethered shooting.
As you have indicated, you are a person that can likely figure it out, but with the brain-trust here, there is also a lot of help.
You landed in a good place! Enjoy the ride!

mike
Thank you!
I have been reading here on and off for a few years. Joined last year, and finally posted yesterday...
I welcome all the help and advice I can get. I have some ideas of what I think I want, but I am not dead set om anything yet.
An air tank and a compressor are for sure on my list... So many options for so many things gets a little confusing. Everyone has their own personal preferences, too.
Looking forward to learning and jumping in soon!
Welcome to Air Gun Nation!
I've shot air and powder burners since the late sixties, but got into PCP's more recently.
I started cheap with highly regarded beginner rifles, that didn't have the accuracy everyone boasted about. I was told that I was the common denominator, but dispelled that notion when I purchased a real rifle. (Real=Expensive) lol
I was an FX fan for years, but thought those were guns for doctors and lawyers. So that hooked me up with Utah Airguns, where I bought a used Crown.
I have been shooting Weihrauch guns, for which I do business with Airguns of Arizona.
The two cheepie's came from Pyramid Air.
View attachment 485267View attachment 485266
Thank you!
Next time I am in the valley I will definitely stop in at Airguns of Arizona! I would rather support the local guys when I can.
Accuracy and precision are important to me. I imagine 99% of my shooting will be paper or steel at home or the range, but I am interested in some of the competitive disciplines possibly, too.
I am not afraid to put $$$ into quality. I don't care to just throw a bunch of $$$ out there and hope for the best, though.

Reactions: .20calguy
Welcome aboard! I'm about 1 hour SE of Phoenix in the mountains.

Just sharing my experience as I am fairly new myself. I bought a .30 cal Vulcan 3 which I love...sub moa @ 100 yards and shooting about 114 ft lbs right now. With that said I'm looking for something smaller to just plink around with so I really didn't want to spend 2k+ for just back yard plinking but I want accuracy and something I can easily adjust for power. My Vulcan 3 is awesome but need to disassemble it to increase or decrease power.

So that brings me to my search...I want a .22 because I can tune it down for back yard plinking but can increase power to hunt with (here is a guideline on fpe needed to hunt different types of game with pcp) https://www.airgundepot.com/vault/articles/basic-airgun-hunting-guidelines/

One very interesting pcp rifle I've found is under $1000, has had great reviews, moa or sub moa accuracy, the Reximex Throne Gen 2. Just something to get started with.

https://www.airgundepot.com/reximex-throne-gen-2-pcp-air-rifle.html

I've looked at and researched a ton of 22 pcp's. Alot of awesome guns but I've seen some .22 pcp's at almost twice the price that don't offer this much.
Good luck on the research

Reactions: R&R1911
Hi R&R. Welcome to AGN and I'd be glad to help any way I can.

I live in the Flagstaff area so if you wanted to shoot my airguns you are welcome to. Just PM me and we'll exchange contact info, then talk.

I also go to the Field Target match at Mormon lake which is a "must try - experience" that is if you can get away the 3rd weekend of this month to help you decide which rifle to get if you are in a hurry. I say this because we'll have a good assortment of different ones to try out. These happen up into October here up north then go down to Phoenix for the winter. Go check out https://www.airgunnersofarizona.org/ for some more info and photos.

Thank you, Zeke!
I do not plan on hunting. Most likely just paper and steel. I would like to be able to get out to 100 yards maybe? But also be able to shoot in my yard or basement. Having the ability for adjustment for long or short range is something I would like to explore.
I will add the Reximex to the study list !

Hi R&R. Welcome to AGN and I'd be glad to help any way I can.

I live in the Flagstaff area so if you wanted to shoot my airguns you are welcome to. Just PM me and we'll exchange contact info, then talk.

I also go to the Field Target match at Mormon lake which is a "must try - experience" that is if you can get away the 3rd weekend of this month to help you decide which rifle to get if you are in a hurry. I say this because we'll have a good assortment of different ones to try out. These happen up into October here up north then go down to Phoenix for the winter. Go check out https://www.airgunnersofarizona.org/ for some more info and photos.
Thank you, Steve, that is very generous!

I am hoping I will be able to come see the match... I am in no hurry, but I am getting a little anxious and excited about starting this new hobby! Trying my best to get info instead of buying every shiny thing I see :)

I have no experience and nothing invested yet, other than time.

Thank you, Steve, that is very generous!

I am hoping I will be able to come see the match... I am in no hurry, but I am getting a little anxious and excited about starting this new hobby! Trying my best to get info instead of buying every shiny thing I see :)

I have no experience and nothing invested yet, other than time.

Great plan. Yep aspire patiently so you won't have buyers remorse later on.

BTW I shot USPSA for many years but I haven't been to the Camp Savage match since last fall. Also into long range precision with rimfire and centerfire. I like shooting I guess ;):D

Thank you!
I have been reading here on and off for a few years. Joined last year, and finally posted yesterday...
I welcome all the help and advice I can get. I have some ideas of what I think I want, but I am not dead set om anything yet.
An air tank and a compressor are for sure on my list... So many options for so many things gets a little confusing. Everyone has their own personal preferences, too.
Looking forward to learning and jumping in soon!

Thank you!
Next time I am in the valley I will definitely stop in at Airguns of Arizona! I would rather support the local guys when I can.
Accuracy and precision are important to me. I imagine 99% of my shooting will be paper or steel at home or the range, but I am interested in some of the competitive disciplines possibly, too.
I am not afraid to put $$$ into quality. I don't care to just throw a bunch of $$$ out there and hope for the best, though.
I would love to step in to AoA and meet the guys, and check the hardware out in person.

Reactions: sekiar and Rizz01