New line of optics for airgunners- ATHLON HERAS DeadEye review

This new Heras line will be a neat scope for airguns!

I have the Heras 4-20 and like it a lot. I love that these scopes have those simpler .2 mil hash mark reticles in the SFP.

Here a pic of the new APRS9 mil reticle.
1676646741369.png
1676646810652.png

Reactions: Bandito and BC
This new Heras line will be a neat scope for airguns!

I have the Heras 4-20 and like it a lot. I love that these scopes have those simpler .2 mil hash mark reticles in the SFP.

Here a pic of the new APRS9 mil reticle.
View attachment 333043View attachment 333046
Yes, they have multiple reticle options available in the Heras.
And I didn't even mention the lifetime transferable warranty!

I'm eager to get one of these, but I respectfully disagree with the OP's endorsement of FFP scopes for HFT. Since we are limited to 16X magnification, I like a full size reticle rather than the shrinking FFP type. I wish Athlon would offer an SFT version.

Oops, I just went on their website and they DO offer SFP models. Thank you, thank you.

I use an Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x56 FFP in FT and am most interested in comparing AO offset angle from 10 yds to 55yds, something scope manufacturers never post, more specifically the angle between 50 and 55yds which is a real soft spot for most scopes and super important in FT.

Also for SFP models what power the reticle is true at. Athlon does post this in manuals, 16x for 6-24x56, 20x for 4-20x50 (nets fewer aim points at 16x).

Nice video. Can you provide your assessment of the glass and edge to edge clarity?
I would be especially interested in getting feedback on the 4 to 12x, and the 4 to 20x also
Glass is very good and it looks clear to me from nedge to edge. It focuses very well and is very repeatable. I've very pleased with it!
I do not have the Heras in 4-12 or 4-20. But I do have a Helos in 4-20x and it has the same quality of glass.

Reactions: Bandito and Mr.H
Around 110°

What are things you would like to see in a field target scope? Let’s make a wish list!

I’ll start-
-more degrees of rotation
-green illumination option
-
-Snaps in focus nicely in the 40-55 yd range at 16x (yes you are reading this right - the hunter ft holy grail!)
- Comes with a nice removable nautilus style scope wheel that does not interfere with the illumination on/off.

-Snaps in focus nicely in the 40-55 yd range at 16x (yes you are reading this right - the hunter ft holy grail!)
- Comes with a nice removable nautilus style scope wheel that does not interfere with the illumination on/off.
Good stuff.
I can tell the difference between 50 and 55 yds with the Heras. Light conditions do effect that of course! It's a challenge.
Just to mention- the new magnetic wheels from JDsCustomDesign.com work well- I can turn on/off my illumination without removing the wheel.

Which Heras scope did you get? Regardless this was my hope for focus at longer FT distances!

Initially when Kevin of Athlon asked me what FT shooters were looking for that was one very HIGH priority as well as having a ton of rotation on the side focus.
Sorry Deadeye, it didn't occur to me to suggest green illume?? That'd be great for my friend who is color blind because he doesn't see red well.

Still wishing for that 10-40-ish dedicated FT open scope to come out. I'd like that one on my Thomas FT rifle. Perhaps it'll have even more side wheel rotation??

We need some small game hunters to give feedback on the little Heras 3-12 too. Can you see the reticle ok? That was my main concern because I suggested for Athlon to make it thicker than the prototype I tested.

Reactions: Bandito
Which Heras scope did you get? Regardless this was my hope for focus at longer FT distances!

Initially when Kevin of Athlon asked me what FT shooters were looking for that was one very HIGH priority as well as having a ton of rotation on the side focus.
Sorry Deadeye, it didn't occur to me to suggest green illume?? That'd be great for my friend who is color blind because he doesn't see red well.

Still wishing for that 10-40-ish dedicated FT open scope to come out. I'd like that one on my Thomas FT rifle. Perhaps it'll have even more side wheel rotation??

We need some small game hunters to give feedback on the little Heras 3-12 too. Can you see the reticle ok? That was my main concern because I suggested for Athlon to make it thicker than the prototype I tested.
I reviewed and now am using the Heras SPR 6-24x56 FFP.
Still testing it but it is performing very well!

Around 110°

What are things you would like to see in a field target scope? Let’s make a wish list!

I’ll start-
-more degrees of rotation
-green illumination option
-
Yea ... just my opinion tho, No where enough rotation and therefore distance separation unless on a VERY large wheel ... tho even then not ideal for FT work :cautious:

Oh I see now, you were quoting Deadeye, instead of getting a Heras.

Oh I see now, you were quoting Deadeye, instead of getting a Heras.
Well not yet anyway Steve, I am currently using a Gen 2 Helos for hunter FT and it ranges better than my previous scope but it is still a little vague past 40-45ish. I know you had posted maybe a year ago that Athlon was considering a FT scope, so I do hope they come out with one and in particular that it would favor the hunter division ranging needs at 16x. Not sure how financially viable that is since we are a such small market, but as far as the overall United States FT market for scopes, I would think the hunter division would be the largest.

I reviewed and now am using the Heras SPR 6-24x56 FFP.
Still testing it but it is performing very well!
Adding some recent Athlon HERAS SPR 6-24x56 FFP and SF scope info and a comparison.

I have 3 Athlon Heras SPR 6-24x56, 1 SF the other 2 FFP.
Even with my 6" wheels, the 10 yard to 60 yard number spread on the wheel is about 100 degrees on said wheel... and it's pretty iffy from 40 out....
what am i missing here? all three behave basically the same.

@DeadEyeNC What are your experiencing?

I'm going to re-range and re-mark again this weekend to see.

Comparing this particular Athlon against a same price point Element:

I have two Element Titans 3-18x50 ffp. Of note, because with a 6" wheel the numbers from 10 yards to 55 yards cover 300 degrees of the wheel's rotation! But I really have to work to achieve a repeatable focal point.